Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 10:53PM

and they are investigating man made caves that follow the soltices in their placement. They are pondering the idea of ancient Celtic people building these caves.

They didn't even consider the Nephites or Lamanites. Why doesn't the CULT sure for being slighted?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 11:18PM

Well the History Channel gives a lot of cred to Horny Joe with his angels and gold plates so the corporate suits are ok with the slight.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 11:20PM

He's a believer in the Kensington Runestone, the Newark Holy Stones, and champions the search for the Holy Grail in America.

Ancient Celts in the Americas? No more plausible than ancient Hebrews...

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 12:29AM

They did a blurb on Oak Island, something about finding a menorah in a cave. I decided to research a bit because you know those crazy tv stations put out the weirdest stuff.

http://thegreatlosttreasure.info/Page17.html

scroll half way down:

snip >>In 1823 Joseph Smith Jnr claimed to have found golden plates in a stone box buried on a hill named Cumorah after the box’s location was revealed by an angel named Moroni. Cumorah does suspiciously sound like Comora (an old spelling of Comoros) and Moroni like Moroni (a settlement in the Comoros Islands where Captain Kidd hung around) but after all, Smith did have a reputation for seeking Kidd’s lost treasure in America. Both he and his father, Joseph Smith Snr were Freemasons. The translation of the text on the golden plates made by Smith (using a scrying stone in the bottom of a hat) related the history of some ancient Israelites who were led to America by God at the time of the fall of Babylon around 586 BC. This meant the Americans were of the Tribe of Judah! (There seems to be a gap in the logic for this as wouldn't the lineage only be through those native Americans who were the direct descendants of those from the 586 BC diaspora? Perhaps there was a 19th century plan to intermarry with the locals.) Unfortunately Moroni required the return of the golden plates so they couldn't be produced as proof so in substitute the description of the fabulous Cave of Treasure on Cumorah Hill into which the plates were deposited was given instead. The best recorded description given by Smith of this cave and its contents only ever amounted to that it contained ‘tons of choice treasures and records’. By 1874, through various retellings of the story by those who had heard Smith speak of the cave, its contents had been elaborated upon so now “there was great wealth in the room in sacred implements, vestments, arms, precious metals and precious stones, more than a six-mule team could draw.” None of these inconsistencies in the story prevented the treasure hunter, Joseph Smith Jnr, from founding what was to become the Mormon religion with its claim to true to legitimacy.
Things don't stop there as the name Smith is associated with another location this treasure was mistakenly searched for. It was a 'John Smith' who purchased Lot 18 on Oak Island where the Money Pit was 'discovered'. And there is a little known fact about a particular search made on Oak Island by Joseph Smith Jnr’s 34th ‘celestial’ wife. She was still searching for the same treasure. Who else do you think the ‘Fanny Young Pit’ on Oak Island was named after?>>

my question: If the Masons first used the site in the early 1800s, it stands to reason that half a century later, the stories could have become twisted and/or confused, prompting later "treasure-hunters" who misunderstood the allegories as real events. Is there any referal of masons using it other than the reference to Smith/mason?

The article doesn’t source of the “little known fact” of J Smith’s 34th wife searching for a treasure. But, Smith was a treasure-seeking guy; maybe he and his 34th bride were still into treasure seeking. Or was it a way of planting treasures to support the Mormon story?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 02:58AM

Of course there's a menorah on Oak Island. That where they put the Jew gold.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 03:02PM

Kyle Broflovski plainly demonstrated "Jewgold" is carried in a pouch around the neck.

Date: November 16, 2014 12:37AM

Well ya know the lost 10 tribes are living under the narth pole.

That's why the Nazis chose the south pole for a hold-out hideout.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 12:40AM

according to the travel channel show, National Park mysteries and secrets, featuring Glacier National Park, Hitler made a science trade for his life and lived out the rest of his days at that park.
My mouth dropped open when I watched it.
That's a new one I'd not heard.
I live minutes from there.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 11:49AM

Don't forget the Nazis on the dark side of the moon!

Date: November 16, 2014 03:14AM

Au contraire my learned friend. It twernt Jewish gold.

It war Inca gold liberated from them bloated barks laden with Spanish loot.

Now sober up and plot a course for the Isle of Comoros where I am a pirate king.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:47AM

The program is a perfect fit for LDS members who enjoy being lied to.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 11:43AM

The Hysteria Channel.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:27PM

I can't stand that show.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.