Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoName4ThisOne ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:01PM

Going even extra-anonymous for this one.

My nephew received his mission call - as it turns out, he's not leaving his home country, but amusingly - is going to a mission where there are boatloads of his (LD$) relatives.

There's considerable physical distance between home and his "2 year home-to-be" but he'll still be in the bosom of close family.

I would have expected that those making the connection would have figured this out (and sent him somewhere else) but apparently they only ask where the grandparents live.

Has anyone else heard experiences like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:06PM

While my cousin was waiting for his visa, he was nearly sent to live just 25 minutes away from his parents. Despite the fact that it was in a different mission boundary. The stupid people in charge didn't even check to see where he was actually coming from.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:08PM

One of my nieces served out here never in my particular area but in the mission field where I live hundreds of miles from Utah.

There is inspiration for you.

It would have been interesting to get a visit since we never contact family.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:13PM

I had a friend at BYU whose family was getting ready to move when he put in his mission papers. He was called to the mission that his parents had just moved to. They didn't change it.

Posted by: NoName4ThisOne ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:23PM

I'm sure that if I ask my TBM sibling, I will be told that it is "inspiration" and that God definitely means it to be that way.

I'm just pleased that he won't have to give up his passport if he needs to GTF outta Dodge quickly.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:01PM

My exmo brother visited his son on his mission. Having been on one himself, he knew what torture it is. The companion didn't care that my nephew spent a day with his dad... Only a cult would demand no family contact for two years. Inhumane.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:07PM

There was a family in our ward that has a mormon royalty name. They even have a town named after the family. Their son was sent to that town on his mission. Welcome home Elder.

Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:11PM

There was a sister missionary on my mission in Brazil who happened to be first called to serve her mission in the same city where she lived her entire life.

She then called the LDS headquarters and they had it fixed within a couple days and she was sent to this other mission across the country.

So much for divine inspirated missionary callings :)

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:12PM

When I was reactivated in a singles ward, one guy was called to the Los Angeles area. A couple weeks later we found out that there was a "mistake" in his calling and he was needed "elsewhere". His parents' home was basically across the street from the mission home. Yup, they really have "inspiration".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 03:13PM by Now a Gentile.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:19PM

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:37PM

Our oldest (and only active LDS child) served her mission in an area within an hours drive of my family. My family lives in the neighboring mission.

Hubby has relatives throughout the Morridor states of UT, AZ and ID. Two of his siblings served in UT and one served in ID...with relatives in almost every ward they served in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.