Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:29PM

Last week I met with my bishop and shared my doubts about the church. He was just recently called as bishop, and he seemed surprised by many of the things I shared with him. For example, he hadn't realized that someone could genuinely try to gain a testimony but not get an answer to their prayers. He also seemed surprised that I feel more peace now than I did as a tbm.

I made clear that my lack of faith resulted from literally thousands of unanswered prayers, but I let him know that there are significant issues with tscc that I learned only after I lost my faith. I then referred him to mormonessays.com to learn about some of those issues.

This morning my bishop thanked me for referring him to mormonessays.com and said that he spent a lot of time on the site this past week. In particular, my bishop liked that the site provides context for the essays and that all the essays could be easily accessed. My bishop like the website so much that this morning he encouraged everyone in the bishopric to visit mormonessays.com and spend some time reading the essays.

Of the essays themselves, my bishop said he was pretty shocked by some of the information presented in them. However, he feels at peace with the church's explanation of the issues. No big surprise there, but I do appreciate that he spent the time to read the essays and that he is encouraging others in the bishopric to read them so they are familiar with the issues.

I don't recall who on rfm developed mormonessays.com, but I just wanted to say thanks and well done. It is nice to have a place to refer tbms where they can be introduced to some of the church's issues in a non-threatening manner. Although the essays are often misleading and disingenuous, at least it's a starting point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 06:29PM by procrusteanchurch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 07:34PM

I made the site. I'm glad it's making the rounds. I've been posting all the analytics and results over on the board that shall not be named.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 07:42PM

I recall you were trying to hit the right tone so that tbms would feel comfortable on the website. Based on the feedback from my bishop, you nailed it. Nicely done.

I wish I knew which board you were referring to, and I hope you'll keep us posted on the stats here at rfm too.

Date: November 16, 2014 07:48PM

I'll make another post with the latest stats.

Date: November 16, 2014 07:54PM

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 08:10PM

Date: November 16, 2014 08:29PM

Haha. ;)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:31AM

Ohhh, careful. People have been killed for less on this board . . .

=]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.