Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 11:47AM

http://ldsliving.com/story/79137-new-member-has-tattoos-cut-out-so-he-can-serve-a-mission

http://www.missiongeek.net/2015/06/new-member-cuts-out-tattoos-to-serve-mission/

Long story short, dude gets tattoo on his neck (nothing vulgar whatsoever) and then years later decides he wants to serve a mission. Mission application declined because of tattoo. Dude goes and has it cut out and now has big old scar on neck (see pics on 2nd link). Dude no longer has tattoo (just huge scar) and so is now allowed to serve a mission!

This is supposed to be an inspiring story. All it shows me is that Mormon god doesn't have much in the way of critical thinking skills.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: truckerexmo ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 12:05PM

There are paintings on the walls of the temples. Rather hypocritical if they are pushing the, "Our bodies are temples thing", aren't they?!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 12:08PM

I really don't see a difference between this and god requiring men to mutilate their penis.

God has always been a fan of his followers mutilating their flesh.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 06:09PM

+1!!!!

RB

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 12:14PM

...sure, that's what I want to do. Looks like some hack butcher did a number on him.............maybe a Tongan shaman.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 12:14PM

This has gone to the higher courts; about businesses not wanting people with tattoos to work for them.

This is even true with Budweiser. You cannot work for them if you have visible neck, face or even arm tattoos (short sleeves, so that means forearms).

He wasn't being shamed for physical abnormalities that he had no control over (scars, loss of hair, cleft lip, moles, etc...) He could of had them lasered off but Mark Wahlberg is having to go through this and it's taking him years and many sessions of pain. He's recording it for his kids so they know what a few minutes of tattooing pain can cause as far as professional and self-esteem.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 12:21PM

...no hate here. But check this out; back in the day, before laser or other derm treatments, they used what looked like a cheese slicer to remove tattoos. I was in SF Naval Hospital next to a guy who checked in to have his typical dumb boot-camp tattoos removed. First they used this dialed-in slicer to remove the affected area, then removed a similar cut from his back to graft into the now removed tattoo area. He said the pain was unbearable......go figure.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 02:28PM

This is ridiculous!!! After it says "Pasi was finally called to meet with his Stake President, who told him that his mission application had been declined on the basis of his very visible tattoos. Pasi’s heart dropped.” It says that PASI HIMSELF said “I didn’t want to go on my mission with this tattoo, so I tried having it removed by laser treatment before, but it wasn’t working. It felt like someone was welding metal on my skin, and I even couldn’t afford the anaesthetic cream to make it numb”.

Talk about sticking his head in the sand!! The Stake President literally said you CAN NOT go on a mission with that tattoo, and he’s like (pretend I’m using a sarcastic mockery voice) “Oh I guess I shouldn’t go on a mission cause I don’t want to go with a tattoo on my neck cause it’s my choice”.

Mormon ignorance at it’s finest.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:13PM

To insiders, it proves he's hard core.
To outsiders, it proves he's crazy.

Wait until he finds out it's not really twoo.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:16PM

Members in many countries have tattoos. What about Samoa? Do they have to remove their traditional ethnic tattoos? I doubt it. And who cuts them out these days when they can be removed by laser??

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:29PM

This poor guy has a cultural background that had had tattoos for thousands of years, right?

Brainwashed by a cult.....he's never going to be Utah white and delightsome, but they'll take his money & his time.

Posted by: phillymon ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:33PM

they should have just sent him to Tonga with the tattoo intact

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:34PM

phillymon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they should have just sent him to Tonga with the
> tattoo intact

I thought they did that all ready! Who are these idiots? The tattoos were around long before the LDS Church came on the scene.
I'm not ever likely to get a tattoo and don't like many that I see (garish, and ugly) but I do respect the traditional cultural tattoos.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.