Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:56PM

http://elderchrislyons.blogspot.ca/2012/11/the-cold-is-here.html

Is this true? Please no second hand on this one. I believe it is possible Monson said this, I believe it is impossible that the Mormons there would have tolerated this statement without a roar.

I have heard no roar. Thus, perhaps he did not say this.

Did this happen. I know we have Canadiens here. Perhaps they can inform me and others.

From Elder Chris Lyons, witness with mortal eyes and mortal ears.

"Anyways, we got to go to Regina yesterday to watch the Calgary temple dedication broadcast. Pres. Monson was hilarious! It was snowing in Calgary, and there was all sorts of people outside at the cornerstone ceremony. Elder Ballard was also there. It was just so funny when Pres Monson was calling kids up to help put in mortar. He called up a little girl. She was struggling a bit, so he just says, "the backhand, show her the backhand. Every good woman knows the backhand!" And he swings his arm. It was so funny."

This is not a sense of humor. This is a manifestation of evil and if it is tolerated by those present and informed, institutional evil.

People who tolerate Monson, but hate Obama. If Obama said such a thing, the same people would call for his impeachment. If you are lurking explain yourself, make yourself understood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 01:03PM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 01:01PM

LOL, he has such a sense of humor! What a funny guy!

/sarcasm

Seriously though, I can't imagine how out of touch Monson would have to be to make a statement like that.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 01:22PM

What a world class fucking asshole....the fact he gets a pass for doing and saying what her does is all one needs to know about that cult.

Ron Burr

Date: November 17, 2014 01:48PM

Thanks Squeebee. Now I believe this happened, it was possible.

Now I have to understand how the hell anyone there or aware would still sustain this man as a prophet of God. It's all crap to me anyways, but in the pretense of Truth.

It is a joke at this point.

Mormons, it is okay to let this go. Mormonism is a lifestyle choice. You choose to be Mormon, you choose to follow the Mormon prophets, you choose to believe or worship with those that believe Mormon doctrines.

This is an evil organization that fosters evil behaviors and protects those evil behaviors in those members it values.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 01:58PM

Well I don't anymore, and my disaffection was triggered by this. Who knows how many other Mormons are no longer TBM as a result.

Date: November 17, 2014 01:55PM

Not sure why the repeat on the link. My incredulity is not doubting this happened. It is hard to imagine the lack of uproar.

As if someone witnessed a person slap another person in the face at a meeting and the meeting went on as if nothing happened.

I believe it is possible Monson did this, the reaction of those in attendance is unbelievable. The absence of follow-up on any significant level is unbelieveable.

Posted by: wcg (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:35PM

Sorry. I'm at work and can only manage sneaking peaks at what is posted so I missed your link. Der. Sorry. Carry on.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 10:51PM

I think that Tom Monson has always been somewhat socially retarded. He's never cared much about other people, that's for sure. But he had a job to do. In earlier years, this showed up as forced politeness and cheerfulness. He was also something of a nerd with his scriptures and statistics, and could always get attention that way.

As Monson's power increased, mostly in conjunction with Hinckley, he grew socially inept, emotionally self-indulgent, and spiritually dead. The tantrums increased until he grew exhausted and checked out. Now he does what he wants, says what he wants, and depends (no pun intended) on his underlings to clean up the mess. Then he reads a ghost-written or recycled talk every few weeks, and he's done his job. Back to doing whatever he wants. Mostly watching Utah Jazz games.

I'm not sure if he was talking about hitting a girl, but he was definitely insensitive in another way. We know he didn't say anything to reassure a young girl whom he had put on the spot. Reminds me of Bednar somehow.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:17PM

I do believe there is the possibility that Monson has quite a few expressions in his repertoire that we have not heard now that this one just slipped out.

It reminds me of my mother when she was in her early 90's; new expressions and comments came out of her mouth frequently. Some were funny, blunt and a few crude, and they were not the typical things that my quiet, reserved Mom usually chose to say.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:29PM

There is no commandment against beating the shit out of your wife or your children.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:11PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"There is no commandment against beating the shit
out of your wife or your children."

While that may be true, there ARE laws in most countries against physically abusing your wife and children. But it's seems somewhat well established that any instruction in the Mormon church to obey the laws of the land are merely window dressing whose primary purpose is to conceal a very messy house.

Date: November 17, 2014 07:18PM

I am going with the presumption that dogzilla was making a point on the literal nature of Mormons and Mormonism.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 08:56AM

^^ Yes, to both of those comments.

1. Mormons only pay lip service to obeying the law of the land. They do that only when it's convenient and self-serving.

2. And yes, I was making a comment about the literal nature of mormonism. It's my opinion that this literalism is why rape and sexual abuse are essentially ignored by the church -- there's no commandment about those things, in any scripture, anywhere. At no point in any scripture does it ever say anything remotely close to "don't try to fuck people without their consent." What that tells me is that the god of Christianity is completely and totally okay with rape, and that's despicable. It also tells me that Christianity is basically a male hegemonic construction meant to again, be self-serving.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 05:05PM

Was he speaking of applying mortar? There is a back-handed application. I mean, I'm trying to figure this one out.

Date: November 17, 2014 05:07PM

Every good girl knows how to backhand apply mortar.

I think Daniel C. Peterson might go there. It's possible.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 05:37PM

The gesture completely invalidated that theory, if he was implying the application of mortar he would make for a terrible mason.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 10:54PM

All the prophets have been terrible masons, especially Joseph Smith.

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 05:11PM

Was he speaking as a prophet or as a misogynist? Wait, those are the same thing

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 06:10AM

+1!

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 12:59PM

So funny. I'm laughing.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 05:55PM

You know, I have a feeling that some people are making something out of nothing.

I doubt that Mr Monson was calling for the child to be hit.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 06:27PM

I think you're missing the point. His appalling comment had nothing to do with hitting that child-- it had to do with Monson's view of the roles of men and women. Even if his comment was said in a joking manner, it implies that women are subservient and should be obedient to men, and that men should keep their women in line. Absolutely disgusting.

Posted by: closet questioner ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:24PM

I don't think it was women's' subservience that he was jokingly referencing; rather, it was womens' dominance. Keeping their children/husbands in line with a back hand to the face. Of course, the joke was ambiguous, so maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 08:04PM

Culturally the backhand is something that men do to women to get them to be subservient. It is the traditional equivalent to a pimp slap.

He is advocating hitting the child, but much more strongly and relevantly, it is a misogynistic statement he is making.

Posted by: closet questioner ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 09:59AM

You may be right. However, in the cultural subset I was raise in, men were to never strike women. That's why I think his reference may be to female dominance. I took Monson's statement to mean that the girl needed to know how to use the backhand.

Posted by: Mellie ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 01:06PM

In the cultural subset of decent human beings, yes, nobody should hit anyone else. Monson is not part of that culture, he was making a joke about hitting the girl.

Date: November 17, 2014 06:12PM

So we have either a speaking or a listening problem here Matt.

Let's trust that he wasn't being literal, something we agree upon.

Is this prophetic, is this good leadership, is this appropriate in public, is this appropriate in private, is this funny? Care to grab ahold of one of those, Elder Elder thought it was funny, and the sign of a healthy sense of humor, do you concur?

Good girls know the backhand. Stew on that for a while. 2012.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 06:13PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:02PM

he was a mean-tempered SOB to work with/for in the COB, but maybe he is beginning to lose the veneer now, in his old age, and some of the nastiness is starting to show in public.

Appaling.

Maybe the truth is that some of those dear old widows were lucky to get away with their teeth intact. ("A Revisionist History of 'Widder-Tom' Monson."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:44PM

Serena Williams could show him a backhand--either kind...

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 06:07AM

Let's stay on Serena Williams for a second. it's thought that can wake me up on this cold morning.

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 06:13AM

I bet Kate Kelley could show him a good backhand to his nasty mouth.

Posted by: Goofy1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 12:00AM

To me it sounds like something a person with dementia would say.

Posted by: Bookrattnli ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 03:04AM

To me, it sounds like something a man who beats (or used to beat) his wife, or the kind of guy who thinks that sort of joke about wife beating was funny, would say. Did his comments get laughs, did someone immediately speak in an effort to cover it up/mitigate it, was there stunned silence, shocked looks?

More important: Did he say anything to fix it when he saw whatever reactionbresulted from it, or apologize to the little girl or her family?

I mean, a slip of the tongue, a mispronunciation I get, but this was a complete sentence and seems to relate to him wanting to strike her for not measuring up, or for her not being pleasing to him in some way.

If the backhand comment referred to masonry and mortaring, why was it not elaborated on and why did no one step up to demo that technique? If it related strictly to brickwork, why the "every good girl knows" addition to the statement?

I think once, a long time ago, I told my kid if he didn't stop doing whatever it was he was so annoyingly doing, that I would beat him. Haha. But, the world just about stopped and the room went cold. I got the hairy eyeball/stinkeye from people who overheard me say it, who didn't know me. My kid was laughing at that (as he hadnt been spanked since he was 3 or 4 and was now 10 years old, he knew it was not going to happen), and so was I, but to be honest, it wasn't a very good joke to make in that situation/place. Many people we didn't know were there. I said sorry, bad joke, made another joke, haha, nervous laughter, then someone who knew us both helped us out of the hole I had dug for myself by saying oh please, as if YOU of all people, ever would. Still. Awkward!

Was TSM ever known for having that kind of social awareness/being able to read a room, being an extemporaneous/unscripted speaker or great orator? Doesn't sound like he has thatbin hm on a good day, let alone during a trying one. But that's a really odd thing and hard thing to explain, that he said.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 06:17AM

Monson had to show his wife the back hand every time she complained about how much time he was spending with "widows."

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 01:24PM

To me the context implies that he was probably pantomiming a tennis backhand to demonstrate how to trowel the mortar in a backhand style. I sincerely doubt that he was implying a backhand as in delivering corporal punishment.

If Monson really was an advocate of striking children, I doubt he'd be idiotic enough to voice it in public. He's dumb but he ain't stupid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2014 01:24PM by mrtranquility.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2014 01:41PM

They are quietly deleting or editing any evidence of this. I mean, normally there is some footage of the mortaring thing, right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.