Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:04AM

Here's a clip from the NY Times about single pastors having trouble getting a job.

Mr. Almlie, 37, has been shocked, he says, at what he calls unfair discrimination, based mainly on irrational fears: that a single pastor cannot counsel a mostly married flock, that he might sow turmoil by flirting with a church member, or that he might be gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/us/22pastor.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha23

That made me think that in my 40 years of Mormonism, I never had a single bishop; and I moved around a lot and was in a lot of wards.

They were all married, and they had kids. I think all of the EQ pres were married too.

What is your experience? Do bishops have to be married to be a serious contender?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:05AM

Nope. I knew two widows that were Bishops.

Ron

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:12AM

Edited because I was being a jackass...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 10:12AM by jon.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:37AM

"widowERS". LOL I get it.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:06AM

A bishop must be married and a high priest (he can be ordained to HP after call is made).

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:09AM

Not to seem like a total ass for looking like I'm sandbagging ExMormonRon - a widower can be bishop b/c he had been married (and probably in the temple)

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:06AM

As I always understood it a bishop had to be temple married.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:08AM

I think there's also something about them having only 1 wife. I don't think the polygs in Utah in the 1800 and early 1900's obeyed that.

I immedietely think of Bishop Snow that wanted a young girl for his polygamous harem and had her unmarried suitor castrated.

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:35AM

...if they become widowed while serving, they are not automatically released.

I'm quite sure that is current policy.

Date: March 22, 2011 10:36AM

No, you don't have to be dumb either, but it helps...

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:39AM

I don't have the definative answer, but I do remember having a Bishop (one we actually liked) who's wife got caught banging a High Councilman, and the Bishop was released right after that. I asked his son why, and he replied with "because he isn't married, anymore." But this is just what a 17 year old told me.

Date: March 22, 2011 10:40AM

Ahhhh, the blessings of service...

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 11:51AM

Bishops have to be sealed (whether the wife is alive or not). I don't know about divorced status, but I have never heard of a divorced single bishop.

A branch president can be single and never married.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 01:30PM

(not all) require the member have a temple recommend, be married in the temple and be current in their tithes. For some paid positions, like CES Institute directors,mission presidents, for instance, they require that they be debt free except for a couple of exceptions (mortgage, for instance.) There is a long list of requirements.

It's not uncommon for members to pay off their house and dedicate it. I've seen that happen several times in the past.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 01:37PM

They are just obeying the NT which says a bisop must be married. Of course I think it says the same thing about deacons too, go figure.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 01:55PM

Usually to more than one wife.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 06:10PM

Not if you're Catholic. I've even heard it's an impediment.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 06:17PM

And what are the callings that don't require marriage (aside from Branch President.)

Is that because Branch's are only quasi wards?

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:08PM

Probably so they can use missionaries to fill the role in areas of the world where they don't yet have local leadership set up. It also expands the pool of potential leaders in a area with very little members.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 09:07AM

I know someone who is a high priest, & has been on a high council before, & he's never been married. (I think that was in the previous stake he lived in.) But I think this is an exception because he has an important career, & makes quite a bit of money that brings in a lot of tithing.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 06:18PM

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 08:43AM

bytheway4, you are out of line and very rude.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 09:52AM

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:01AM

when heber j grant was president of the church a man in american fork named john pulley was called to be the bishop of his ward. he was 45 and unmarried. the local authorties contact heber to make certain they had called the right man. he told them they had the right man, but to tell him to get married. so he married and had 5 children.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:18AM

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.