Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 12:08AM

I got a job a few weeks ago at Starbucks. I will hit the 3 month mark in early January. I want to leave this location ASAP because I fail miserably at the drive thru, something I don't enjoy, naturally causing irritation for my coworkers. Not a good impression to make on them or the customers. I am not confident it will get better with time. I'm also upset that I dont seem to fit in with most of my coworkers, adding to my problem.

I want to transfer to a location without a drive thru, where I will only need to master making drinks because I have the register down already. This location is intense, especially around holiday season. The stress of needing to improve at the drive thru is too much for me; I can't multitask in it, which is a greatly needed skill there.

The holiday time means a high number of sales must be met; I feel all the pressure. The pressure to learn even more quickly and not test my coworkers' patience is even higher. Otherwise, I think I'm improving at the less demanding parts of the job.

What's the proper way to entertain this idea with my my manager? I don't want to quit or get fired, because I think I'm a good fit for the company, just not a drive thru location. This is my first real, lasting job. Is quitting a bad idea for me, if I feel I absolutely must?

P.S: In other news, I attended the evangelical church I wanted to try out. The sermon was inspiring and enjoyable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 03:05AM

Thanks for this post. It's easy to walk right past Starbuck employees and not give them a second thought. Your situation is stressful all right. If you're feeling overwhelmed, you might consider a change.

I've never worked a drive through, but I don't think I'd prefer it. Best wishes.

Posted by: sloveland ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 03:20AM

Tough to answer your question, simply because I'm not familiar with the culture of your location... but even if you "disappoint" someone by looking for a transfer, I don't think it's a big deal.

I might stay quiet about it until I've found somewhere to transfer, however.

Like I say - do what is best for you, and beyond that be respectful to others... but no need to sacrifice your own well-being just out of paranoia of "disappointing" someone.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 08:45AM

What do you want to know about the culture? I'll tell you anything. How should I go about looking for other locations to transfer to? I'm not totally sure what my shift supervisors have said about me to my manager, but right now, I think my goal should be to improve at having more confidence, increasing my speed, and nailing other non drive thru aspects of the job.

However, it's really a Catch 22. I may need more confidence to prove I'm a good fit for a less stressful location, but the less stressful location would give me more confidence. I'm afraid I will just end up getting fired, because I haven't totally proven myself in other areas of the job. I don't know what complications come with transferring, as far as the management end goes. I know that I don't want to officially say I'm not a good for for Starbucks though until I'm given this chance. I hope I get it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 05:29AM

Since it's the same company, I think you'll be fine. Talk to your manager about your situation and ask how you find out about other Starbucks jobs in your area. When I was employed with a certain retailer, I worked at a few different locations for that retailer. Ditto for my friend who currently works for PetsMart.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.