Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 09:33PM

How do you distinguish between which one is happening? This is if you believe. I know which trials I can overcome. Challenges are good. Obstacles help us grow. My challenges are closer to bad luck. I'm hit with them all at once, and they all influence each other. One big mess. I'm tired of having to sort it all out, but I need to. The only thing these obstacles do is make me suffer. They are not helping me be a better person, just worsening my life when I try to improve my future. Any luck I had before has been negated and taken back. Complications abound.

You could call it the devil's work, or apathy from God. Or, this is the life I get to have because I was not born into privilege, money, or luck. This is if you believe in divine influence or any type of destiny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dinah ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 09:52PM

Actually,I think the dilemma in your question is one of the harmful perspectives that comes from the church. I don't think it's helpful to continually be looking for Satan in our lives. I also don't think it's helpful to think that God is personally sending us difficulties.

Maybe you could think about why you feel you need to sort it out. Maybe trying to sort it out is part of what makes you suffer.

I don't mean that to sound harsh. I just hope maybe you will consider that it is neither Satan or God who is making your life difficult. If you are still in somewhat of a church perspective, you could look at challenges as just part of a "fallen world." They are just naturally going to come. It's just my take - I hope you find some peace however you are able.

Date: November 19, 2014 10:01PM

Thanks for the answer. I'm having financial difficulty right now, so I can't leave that problem alone. This will not go away and must be figured out, for obvious reasons.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 10:29PM

How will spending time discerning if you're being hit by God's trials or Satan's snares help you make more money?

In my observation spending time thinking about that is using up time and energy that could be spent on devising a plan and steps to get out of financial problems.

In my observation if a problem is really bad and a person can't get out of it they blame it on Satan.
If a problem isn't too bad and there is still some forseeable bonus to come out of it they see it as a blessing in disguise from God.

Yes I also think a lot of these trials just worsen our lives.

It's especially hard financially when wages just don't raise to keep up with rising inflation.

Here's what I remind myself to do.
Get a plan. Get help making a plan. Work the plan. Don't take it all so seriously, life goes by pretty quickly and then it's gone so in spite of whatever happens try to connect with a feeling of joy and peace in any circumstances that come -- be it a hurricane or financial crap. (easier said than done as I'm continuously working on this myself.)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 11:07PM

Well, as the Mormons put it: It's a trial from God unless it's not because Satan is very clever but you have the Holy Ghost unless you touch yourself and then you don't and Satan has you in his grasp or it could be God testing you or it might not or the Holy Ghost could be off somewhere having a sandwich. But anyway you agreed to all this before you came to Earth so its all your fault--or no--depending on whether you believe the prophet who said that was speaking as a man or a prophet.

See how easy that is?

Seriously. No matter how much money you have you have to make a budget. List your necessary bills and see if that adds up to more than your income. If it is then it's from God. Kidding. IF it is you have to find a bill to cut or find assistance or a part time job. If you then stick to your budget you sooner or later you will eventually get to a good place. (Unless God decides to test you further.) A budget is hard to follow like a diet, but at least it rewards you with a light at the end of the tunnel and that gives you hope and peace, which would come from you not God or Satan.

You probably know all that, but I decided to spell it out because as someone who's been around a long, long time, I find a lot of the younger ones don't understand the basics of budgeting.

Good luck.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 11:14PM

blueorchid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
But anyway you agreed to all this
> before you came to Earth so its all your fault--or
> no--depending on whether you believe the prophet
> who said that was speaking as a man or a prophet.
>

Yeah, likley not valiant enough in the war in heaven and didn't get placed into a Marriott trust fund family.
:p

(just joking demoneca; couldn't resist)

Date: November 19, 2014 11:28PM

Haha this made me laugh :). That's how Mormons think of blessings, to a T. I agree with you about budgeting. My problem is the income...I can't save because my money goes straight to necessities. My job is another issue in itself. Saving has literally been my goal from the start, just seeing my effort pay off in my bank account. I'm very careful of how I spend, promise! I don't buy frivilous things, I buy clothes from thrift stores when needed (my preference anyway), and am even careful with food. Any precautions I try to take are thrown back in my face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 11:30PM by demoneca.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 01:27AM

If it happens to me it's God's trial. If it happens to someone else, it's Satan's influence.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.