Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 10:37AM

This is not a spoof. Please fact check this or add other reasons to agree or disagree.

10. Institute policy and attitude to "Go Mainstream" in failed attempt to increase conversions by acting more like American Christians.

9. Collaborating with Mark Hofmann on forgeries that Hinckley perceived would embarrass him and his beloved pet church, efforts which literally blew up in his face.

8. Calling Dallin Oaks and Jeffrey Holland as apostles whose long term effects on Mormonism may surpass Hinckley's own incompetence.

7. Hired Edelman World Wide Public Relations to brand, package and market Mormonism through the 2002 Winter Olympics, Larry King interview, Mike Wallace - 60 Minutes interviews and even "buying the Presidential Medal of Freedom" for and on behalf of himself.

6. Apologized to the world for necro-dunking Jewish Holocaust victims but then continued the practice forcing Jeffrey Holland, current apostle to publicly apologize on BBC for the debacle.

5. Shutting down the BYU Molecular Biology Lab run by Scott Woodward Ph.D after discovering that DNA research results would not confirm the existence of "Lamanites" in the Western Hemisphere as opposed to allowing BYU to set itself up as premier cutting edge institution on the frontier of molecular biology research and development.

4. Hired Sheri Dew as CEO of Deseret Book thus cementing women as second class go for girls for God with the silly seeping sap and hero worship biographies of Hinckley himself and his cronies.

3. Wallowing in the "might temple builder" mantle of the prophet Hinckley set up his church for eventual collapse of his top heavy ambitions with under utilized houses of God, recycling of names of the deceased for temple ritual redundancies.

2. Construction of his own great and spacious prophet memorial "The Conference Center", expensive to maintain, hard to fill to capacity with the greatest apostasy in church history picking up Internet momentum.

1. Sponsoring California's Proposition 8 - Anti Same Sex Marriage and throwing millions of the faithful's donations away, alienating many Mormons and the public in a lost cause as confirmed by the United States Supreme Court.

With this resume, Hinckley, if he were alive today would not be hired by an respectable business as their new CEO.

I am not sure where to put the City Creek Mall in this list?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 10:42AM by cricket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 10:43AM

I thought Monson was in charge if prop 8. Hinkley was dead by then... Or was that his dying wish at his death bed that Monson had to carry out?

Date: July 25, 2015 10:51AM

http://www.stopthemormons.com/2008/11/30/timeline-of-mormon-involvement-in-prop-8/

And remember who Hinckley's first counselor was, Monson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 10:51AM by cricket.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 10:59AM

I think your number 9 should be number 1. The Hofmann affair proves beyond any doubt that god does not speak to the Mormon leaders. Hofmann sold the Church hundreds of documents over a four year period (1981-1985) many of which were forgeries. Not once did any of the unholy fifteen get so much as an inkling that they were being swindled. Hinckley thought all along that Hofmann was a TBM whose only goal was to protect the Church.

The documents were never sent out for independent evaluation because Hinckley feared (where was god?) that what was in them might be leaked. He bought the more damaging ones directly from Hofmann and promptly locked them up in the First Presidency's private vault without informing the other brethren.

Hofmann later remarked that he was surprised how anxious Hinckley was to buy and hide away his forgeries. Hinckley, by blindly believing Hofmann and rewarding his deceit, help create the murdering monster he later became.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 11:43AM by Templar.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 09:58PM

I agree. The whole Hofmann affair is #1 on my list. Creating a market for the purchase of controversial church documents led to the murders of two people. The blood of their deaths was on Hinckley's hands.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 11:04AM

Well ya know Gordo had great promise as a man of God when he was first called. By throwing me out of his office when he was a young apostle, his tough love was actually an act of kindness to me.

Too bad it was all downhill from there.

But yeah, I'd say history will affirm his worst prophethood status.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 01:05PM

cricket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not sure where to put the City Creek Mall in
> this list?

0. Having one of his last major decisions in the life of The Mormon Church show his church to be a business more than a church. It was his proclamation on the inanity of Mormonism.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 01:08PM

Was there ever a NOT "worst" profit?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 06:57PM

Oaks became an apostle under Benson, and Holland under Hunter. Hinckley wasn't president yet when either of them was called.

Date: July 25, 2015 09:09PM

First Counselor was? Gordon Hinckley.

I have no idea if Hinckley influenced the callings to the quorum of two presidents of BYU, Oaks and Holland.

Maybe I should replace #8 with The City Creek Mall suggestion?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 11:46PM

Hinckley took over the reins of power about 1980, after he had threatened Benson to keep him in line. He was the real head of the church from 1980 to 2008.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 09:44PM

I was inactive when old Gordon got the prophet nod and I was officially out not long after. The last Mormon prophet I remember is Spencer so I find your list of Bro. Gordon's fine qualities enlightening. Wait I do remember ETB's reign but after that I don't remember much of the church's leadership. When you no longer believe and don't attend church it is really hard to remember or even know who is running the LDS. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 09:50PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 11:35PM

Also, I don't think GBH was the worst when compared to some of what people falsely remember about others. David O' McKay who my mother thought was perfect...Only now we see how much his mainstreaming and incorporation ideas for the Church hindered the church.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 12:59AM

These two seem like attempts at positive action to me:

10. Institute policy and attitude to "Go Mainstream" in failed attempt to increase conversions by acting more like American Christians.

4. Hired Sheri Dew as CEO of Deseret Book thus cementing women as second class go for girls for God with the silly seeping sap and hero worship biographies of Hinckley himself and his cronies.

Most mainstream Christian churches are less toxic and objectionable than the Mormon church. The Mormon church might be less harmful if it was more mainstream.

Hiring a woman in a male-dominated organization is a good movement toward balance.

Posted by: humpty pam ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 05:01AM

As a plus for him you must give Hink the credit for his lips were the inspiration for the 1950 Buick front bumber.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.