Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:02PM

I've been here for awhile - but finally read the board rules!

Sorry for the ones I broke :) and thank you for being kind.

I was wondering if any of you who are still attending have noticed a severe drop-off of the "hasten the work" craze? Our stake went strangely silent about it. Which is great, don't get me wrong. It's just weird.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:44PM

I doubt it was just your stake.

I didn't watch, but I did read these boards at the time and I didn't hear any mention of it AT ALL, not even in passing at confrunz.

There was a poster that ran the entire speech library of confrunz and the results for "hasten the work" IIRC, was zero.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:53PM

That's true for general conference. I hadn't thought about that.
I was just noticing that not a peep was said at our stake conf. and nothing in our ward for months - maybe since spring.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:00PM

Was it an actual PULL-BACK, as in the leadership (never in print, but in face to face) actually says "shut up about this"?

or did it just peter out? If it petered out, then there should still be "hasten the work" paraphernalia on the lds.org website.

it seems to me that it ended all-of-a-sudden like. In April 2014, it was "hasten hasten hasten" and October 2014 it was "hurry up and wait" since nary a word of "hasten" was spoken.

Posted by: ttehr ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 11:12PM

it was mentioned in our stake conference meeting today as "still" our main focus and goal of the church in our area, "Hasten the Work"

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 12:19AM

Is "I'm a Mormon" also over?

What's next? . . . .

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 01:53AM

There were some posts about it being absent from General Conference. LDS.net still hasn't figured out that it is passé:

http://lds.net/blog/category/hasten/#.VHGD8sLwsv0

but "The Brethren" seem to have dropped it like a temple oath a survey found unpopular.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:26PM

Lol. Wow. Phrase coined. I love it.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 03:31AM

I think it went the same way as: "Lengthen your stride"...

off into outer darkness to be pulled back again, and presented as a new idea to all the schmucks who will have forgotten the previous re-runs..

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 04:09AM

Lengthen your stride
Raising the bar
Hastening the work

Blah blah blah blah

You can bet your ass that some committee at the COB is busy thinking up the next awesome catch phrase that will be subsequently tested out in focus groups before one of the 15 frauds goes live with it.

It's what you do to try to breath some life back into something that is dying.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:20PM

It is THE topic/point of emphasis in the Greeley (Colorado) Stake. It was hit again in SM yesterday.

I wish it would just go away!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 01:20PM by moose.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:19PM

Speaking of severe drop-offs, I noticed this happened a few years ago in YW and RS, but with a song. Midway through high school we stopped singing the song "Walk Tall [you're a daughter]." Like, no one suggested it anymore. Not sure if this was coincidence or not. I rarely missed church. It was a nice song, but maybe my ward was sick of it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 04:20PM by demoneca.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:27PM

Yah , when I was a kid, then it was all about making it possible for Jesus to come back, that is what hastening the work was all about! Well it turns out that the The Jack Wagon MORmON A-holes have rang that bell way too much, and Jesus is still a no show!
So now they hasten the work, just for the sake of hastening the work, but somehow it lacked the old hysterical glamour.

Dumb ass MORmONS !

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.