Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:09PM

I'm going to butterfly mine and cook it on the grill with some smoking apple wood chips. I've read that you can cook a turkey in less than 2 hours this way. I'm willing to give it a try. Has anyone here done that? I have a gas grill with a lid.

There's another name for cooking a bird this way. It's called spatchcock. It's all new to me. I'm willing to learn from experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 09:11PM by madalice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:16PM

I take off the wings and drumsticks and put it in the pressure cooker.
Turns out moist and really tasty and tender.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:37PM

Hubster is not a big fan of leftovers. My sure fire moist turkey trick is to cover it in extra thick bacon. Does not give it a bacon flavor but keeps it oh so moist and no crapping around with things like buttered cheesecloth. I ALWAYS cook the stuffing separate. Alton Brown did a show on the science of it and there is no way in HELL I would ever do that again. SHUDDER. It's amazing I didn't kill us all over the years.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:44PM

No turkey, I went vegan this year. Could be an interesting holiday.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:46PM

http://www.cornucopia.org/soysurvey/soy_profiles/images/tofurky%20roast.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 09:48PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:46PM

The same way I always cook it, in the Nesco roaster. Only problem is my roaster will hold up to a 22 lb. turkey and my daughter insisted on the 25 lb. turkey and I wasn't thinking, so I imagine the legs will be nice and crispy.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:48PM

I think I'm going to make an herbed, citrus butter to rub in again, unless something else perks my interest. This year, I'm doing chipotle carrots for a side along with mashed taters and some kind of brussel sprouts. But what ya'll should be jealous of is the from scratch pumpkin pie with Bailey's Pumpkin Spiced Cream I'm going to bake. :)

Posted by: slcslc ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:55PM

Susan I/S I'm doing the bacon trick for the first time this year. I'm doing a beer bacon brine for 24 hours before, saw it on The Chew and thought the bacon would make it amazing. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Date: November 22, 2014 10:12PM

If you can see it, slap some bacon on it! And you really do need the thick stuff. Then I tent it with foil till the end. I have never brined, there is never enough room in the fridge. What are you going to use to brine it in?

I did put my foot down for ONE NEW THING this year. They always want the same exact sides every single holiday. Year after year after year. I am swapping this out for the green bean casserole. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/broccoli-gratin-recipe.html There was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth but they can suck it up! At least now that everyone is older I can make regular mashed potatoes instead of Tato Volcano. Kids do love it. Mound your finished mashed potatoes into a baking dish, make a well and fill it with whipped cream (not sweetened) and grated cheese. Pop it back in the oven to melt the cheese.

As for pie, hahahahha! I win! I have an AMAZING pie store just over in the next town. Their crust is better than mine anyway and sending Hubster to fetch it is a lot less work.

One word of caution to all - DON'T DEPEND ON THE POP UP THINGIES! I did one year and um, when I stuck a knife in it, it went POOOF and it deflated like an old tire. It looked perfect but there was not enough meat left to feed two let alone a family. It was really really SAD. And make sure you check BOTH cavities for those little packets of innards!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:00PM

We do a 14-15 lb. turkey. After washing out the bird with salt water, my wife fills the cavity with her incredible giblet stuffing and then covers the roaster in HD foil, wrapped tight...and cooks it a 450F for about 3 hours. We've been using the high temp method for years and love it.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 10:02PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:11PM

There are so many great things that can be roasted, it is, for me, ridiculous to do the same thing year after year.

This year, depending on the number of people, I am going to do either:

Leg of lamb:

http://wildoats.coop/wp-content/uploads/roast_leg_of_lamb-jpg.jpeg

Crown Roast:

http://www.petesproduce.com/images/stories/rapidrecipe/13-crown%20roast%20of%20lamb%20with%20wild%20rice%20stuffi%20ng.jpg

Last year it was a salt-encrusted prime rib.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 10:14PM by MJ.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 11:27PM

We're having 14 people this year. My cousin is making the turkey, he usually fries it, but I want lamb as an alternative.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:47PM

Mom uses those Reynolds oven cooking bags. Yummy juicy bird! I always get a little as a treat.

Date: November 22, 2014 11:22PM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:55PM

Oven. I love dry turkey (I know, I know, everyone loves things that are moist), and the best way to get massive amounts of dry turkey is to cook it in the oven for slightly too long.

We'll likely buy a smoked turkey too because they come out so tasty. I'm going to have lunches for at least a month.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 11:28PM

You know the score Susan. Wish we could all sit down at Alton B's table someday for a feast to remember.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.