Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 11:59PM

Well, here I am, back again. As some here may know, I was diagnosed wityh stage 4 Esophageal cancer last May. That will give you pause. the PET scan showed there were lesions in my liver, very small ones, and there were lesions in my sternum in addition to the ugliest tumor you ever want to see.
So, the first oncologist I saw told me I had 6 months without treatment, 18 months with. I don't see that dr. anymore. The 18 months is up in October. Then I got to go to chemo. For those who have never had this experioence, you don't want it. 5 months of constantly feeling like you are going to die. After that, I was still having pain in my sternum, so another PET scan, results: All lesions that showed on the previous PET scen are gone. They did an endoscopy and I am completely free of cancer in my GI. That's the good news. They found an new, small lesion at the bottom of my sternum and wanted me to do chemo again and I begged them to give me radiation. we did that about a month ago, and now I am pain free. The Radiationb Onc said it will be gone in 4-6months. I have a nice, Mushroom shaped tan on my chest. Right now, I'm thinking I'm probly the luckiest SOB on the planet. Time to go to Vegas!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:02AM

This is wonderful news foundoubt!!!

I am SO HAPPY for you!!!

:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:06AM

Another happy human ball-bearing in the Bell Shaped Curve of life machine.

One never knows how it will all play out, do one?

So yeah, we should all send you a dollar so you can buy us each a lottery ticket.

...we need a word to replace 'congratulations', a word that means we're happy for you, but recognize that some other human ball-bearing was experiencing the other outcome, at the other end of the curve.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:06AM

That is fantastic news! I am super happy for you. I'm a cancer surviver, also.

Posted by: GodLedMeOut (nli) ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:19AM

^^. Hooray!!! Enjoy every nanosecond of the beautiful world!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:10AM

I'm so glad you beat it!!! May your life from here out be full of love, laughter and great joy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:17AM

That's wonderful!! Enjoy!

RB

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:33AM

Yay!!!!

My sister is in stage 4 breast cancer, with spinal and brain mets she underwent more chemo and radiation to get rid of. She's now on immunotherapy.

I really appreciate how you must be feeling and am so happy for you.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:46AM

I'm sorry about your sister. ((Hugs))

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 03:04AM

Thank you. She is awesome and stubborn and strong...like foundoubt and the other survivors here surely are. Hope springs eternal.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:40AM

I hope that things continue to be better.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 01:12AM

Congrats. You beat the demon!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 01:56AM

Fantastic news!

Be proud of yourself for toughing out such a difficult time. Now that you're feeling better, you can decide on some fun long term plans...

Take good care of yourself and get plenty of sleep. Shrug off stress like never before (surround yourself with positive people who have a sense of humor...)

Best wishes for health and happiness!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 06:34AM

Good news! I hope that your health continues to improve.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 07:04AM

Congratulations! You should do Vegas, and enjoy every second of it. Just save some money for the ride home. ;)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 07:30AM

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 08:20AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 03:25PM

Congrats - very happy things are turning around for you.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 04:13PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 04:19PM

That is so wonderful that you beat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it never never comes back again. Chemo and radiation

sucks. You must be feeling so relieved and joyful.

Your story is a good example to others to never give in to it

and never give up. I'm really happy for you.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 11:48AM

Love this kind of news. Congrats and I hope this is the path that you are able to stay on.

One of my very good former TBM friends had just reached her 10-year cancer free point when I met her in 1998. She had, 10 years earlier, been given a 6-month expected life sentence when she had stage 4 metatastic breast cancer.

So here it is, another 17 years later. She just retired and puts me to shame. She is always hiking, doing river trips, and makes me feel very old, although I'm half a decade younger than her.

And just this year she iced her cake and I was shocked. SHOCKED. When she called me she said, "I want to tell you something before you hear it from anyone else." My heart sunk. I was waiting for the words, "my cancer is back."

But instead I heard, "I've left the church." I shouldn't have been that shocked. She was one of the few TBMs who stayed friends with me all these years. But I was. Shocked and thrilled. Now she can hike all weekend. She just took a river trip down the Grand Canyon. She didn't have to be back on Sunday. She posts FB pics and she is in shorts and a sleeveless shirt. So much more her outdoor style.

Anyway, just saying that we don't hear enough stories about those who defy their time span diagnosis. And it's awesome when we do.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 03:13PM

So happy to hear this!!!! ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 04:52PM

My Mom beat Breast Cancer this year, so my joy in your news is real and quite ecstatic!

Thanks for coming here and sharing an update!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:40PM

How sweet it is! Happy for you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.