Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 06:21PM

Not Paul, not a church council, not a pope, and certainly not Joseph Smith. Where does Jesus say priesthood? I'm all eyes and ears. The Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 06:25PM

Must have been one of the plain and precious things the Great and Abominable Church edited from the New Testament.

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 09:43PM

Yep

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 06:37PM

Jesus didn't mention it, but is associate in Hebrews 6:20

20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 09:44PM

Yep. And it means nothing what the Mormons say it means. In fact, Jesus wasn't eligible for the "priesthood" because he was of the tribe of Judah...only the Levites (tribe of Levi) could be priests. FWIW.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 07:02PM

Matt 21:45
"When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard Jesus’ parables, they knew he was talking about them."

So that would mean the preceding parables (the two sons and the tenants--Matt 21:28 through 44) are direct quotes of Jesus mentioning priesthood or, technically, the state of the priesthood at the time.

But I don't think that's what you're really after.

I agree with you that there's no biblical evidence that Jesus wanted to set up a separate priesthood office/class among his followers; most of the statements from the Apostles teach the "priesthood of all believers". I assume they absorbed this idea from hanging around with him.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:03PM

can communicate directly with God, and can read/interpret scripture themselves, and there is no need to go through a priest.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:18PM

Agreed. In other words, Jesus doesn't teach the mormon idea of p=hood in the bible and neither do his followers.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 07:25PM

Thanks exdrymo, I'm after a direct, non-inferential quotation. And it doesn't exist. I have the same questions about exaltation, gay marriage, and temple work, to name a few.

Where does Jesus teach individual or group exaltation? Where does Jesus allow or prohibit gay marriage? Where does Jesus say anything about doing temple work? (He teaches about the temple --What have you made it into...) but does not instruct in any of these areas.

So, the short answer is that nothing that the Morg (or many modern Christians) feel is important is taught by the founder.

Feel free to question, believe, or disbelieve; but please don't ascribe teachings to Jesus that he never taught. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 07:26PM by byuboner.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:20PM

Most of the moral values held by Christians today either come from the rules set forth in the Old Testament or the statements set out by Paul in the New Testament. Outside of divorce and adultery and (possibly) mastaurbation, Jesus did not communicate anything about what Christian moral values should be.

From what I've read elsewhere, the strict moral codes used by many Christians today go back to an internal early church fight not covered in the gospels between those who preferred mysticism and individual communication with God versus those who wanted strict moral boundaries over the behaviors of individual flock members. The latter group won.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 07:40PM

Good point..

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 08:46PM

May I offer John 5:26-27 this is Jesus speaking after having healedd a man on the Sabath and being confronted by "the Jews"

"For as the Father has life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgement also, because he is the son of man."

Posted by: ex not logged in ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 08:53PM

interesting quote about Prophets in
Luke 16:16

Jesus is quoted as saying "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the Kingdom of God is preached, ..."
And

John Chapter 18:36 (Jesus talking to Pilate)
36. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews. But now is my kingdom not from hence (from another place).

Also Chapter 9 in Hebrews explains the Temple Ritual for the High Priest for the Old Testament times.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:05PM

ever implement any "priesthood". The early Church had no "priesthood", as all believers were considered to be their own "priests" -- priests were not necessary.

Posted by: ex not logged in ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 10:18PM

Interesting quote by Jesus:

Luke 22:24 (Chapter 22 After the Last Supper and before Gethsemane)

24 And there arose also a dispute among them as to which one of them was regarded to be greatest.

25 And He said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who have authority over them are called ‘Benefactors.’

26 But it is not this way with you, but the one who is the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like the servant.

27 For who is greater, the one who reclines at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at the table? But I am among you as the one who serves.

28 “You are those who have stood by Me in My trials;
29 and just as My Father has granted Me a kingdom, I grant you
30 that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Posted by: authorandproprietor ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 11:51PM

Here's another interesting verse that seems to contradict the standard Mormon teachings regarding priesthood power.

in Mark 9:38-39 the apostles tell Jesus that they saw someone not associated with them who was performing miracles in Jesus name. Jesus seemed to approve of this. Even though the man obviously hadn't been ordained to the priesthood by the laying on of hands.

Date: November 23, 2014 11:59PM

While we're on the topic of whether there's any scriptural support for common Mormon teachings and beliefs, if you look for support for any of the teachings that the OP mentioned above, in the church's own Book of Mormon, you will have a very hard time finding them. Even the Bom teachings about priesthood and its structure and offices are very different.

Don't forget that it's "the most correct book on earth"
:)

Oh, and it contains "the fullness of the restored gospel" too.
:)

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:23AM

It has always been a difficult thing on which to ponder that if the BoM is the most correct book containing the fullness of the gospel then why did we need the D&C, the PoGP and all other

prophesy that has been dispensed since the publication of the BoM and the formation of the church.

Date: November 24, 2014 01:55AM

And it's particularly interesting to think about the fact that JS made that "most correct book" statement in about 1843 at which time the D&C was already in existence.

Also, if Mormons still teach that the Bom is the most correct book, which they do, then why doesn't their doctrine match up with the doctrine taught in their own Book of Mormon???

For a perfect example compare the current Mormon teachings on the nature of god with the Bom's teachings on the nature of god. They can't be reconciled. This was one of the first big problems I noticed as a tbm.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:04AM

authorandproprietor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And it's particularly interesting to think about
> the fact that JS made that "most correct book"
> statement in about 1843 at which time the D&C was
> already in existence.
>
> Also, if Mormons still teach that the Bom is the
> most correct book, which they do, then why doesn't
> their doctrine match up with the doctrine taught
> in their own Book of Mormon???
>
> For a perfect example compare the current Mormon
> teachings on the nature of god with the Bom's
> teachings on the nature of god. They can't be
> reconciled. This was one of the first big
> problems I noticed as a tbm.

Great point and one of those that I ask all the time from TBM. one that they either refuse to answer or their mind just can't wrap around the idea.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:39AM

When Jesus was a deacon, he talked to people at the temple. He may well have served as a guide or docent. It was said that he was very well versed in the gospel, which I daresay today's deacons would be if they paid attention in meetings.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:38AM

Jesus mentions priesthood in the same verse he discusses temple endowments, the sealing power, and white shirts and ties at church.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:45AM

Joseph Smith "spoke" for Jesus. I think this is where a conversation about it will lead you.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 01:40PM

In Pickles Bednar's wet dreams

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:55PM

Jesus ALMOST mentions the priesthood in 3 Nephi, which is surprising, because Jesus told the Nephites how to do baptisms, how to administer the sacrament, he healed their sick and he appointed 12 apostles. You would have thought the priesthood would come up at some point during all of that.

Date: November 25, 2014 01:35AM

Also, note that in the Bom Jesus calls 12 disciples, not 12 apostles. In the Mormon priesthood, an 'Apostle' is a specific ordained priesthood office, but there is no mention of a 'disciple' in the Mormon priesthood. Apparently he missed the memo on the proper names of Mormon priesthood offices.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 12:02AM

Sure that's not hebrews 4:20?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 01:53AM

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 03:10AM

As I understand. Jews/Levites had priesthood by lineage. They had it by who they are so it wasn't really questioned so Jesus wouldn't need to talk about it.

Funny thing though, Jesus never wrote anything down. Everything in the bible is what other people remembered many years later. (Kind of like the whole 1st vision mess)

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 03:39PM

I thought about this today. You know it's weird and kinda funny that mormonism would end up with the most mideval notion of priesthood you could imagine. Mormonism supposedly a ultra-protestant movement with strong anti-clerical sentiments as evidenced in it's lay clergy and mostly unpaid ministry.

This is really strange when you ponder that one of the most vocal criticisms against the catholic church in late mideval times was exactly a criticism against the view of the priesthood being used as a kind of magical power. This was one of the major themes in the reformation, scriptura sola and all that. The catholic church itself tried purging itself from any hint of priestly magic in the counterreformation. Then mormonism comes around and quickly adopts the most mideval view of the priesthood you can imagine. It's again a quasi-magical power endowed through strict rituals. So much for being different than "the babylonian whore".

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 04:14PM

make no mistake about it, The Jesus character of the new testament is a de constructor of religion, NOT an advocate, endorser or establisher of religion.

NT Jesus goes about disassembling and deconstructing religion.
Priesthood is just the branding of religion, LDS INC loves to try to enforce its PERVERT Joe Smith brand of priesthood imaginary authority, something that the New testament Jesus would only have disdain for. Thing how stupid the LDS Inc sales pitch really sounds when its boiled down to basics: a person can not get into heaven with out an official Pervert MORmON Joe Brand Baptism ( and the unmentionable STUPID ASS secret MORmON temple handshakes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTTM2m-8Ik

Posted by: exmo not logged in ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 04:53PM

Newsletter 102 on the subject of Mormon priesthood compared to information in the Bible if anyone is interested.

at Utah Lighthouse Ministry website (utlm.org) Sandra Tanner website.

Searched: Priesthood in search engine at bottom of home page and result is a newsletter Issue 102. One page addresses authority and an other result addresses priesthood.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 09:44PM

He didn't - he doesn't exist.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo God ( )
Date: November 25, 2014 09:56PM

Joseph Smith translation clearly states Deacons are to be the husband of one wife.

They can't be deacons without the Priesthood!

Joe Knows!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.