Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:07AM

After I left tscc over three years ago I went through my house and got rid of all the books, pictures, music, clothing, etc. that were related to mormonism. I thought I was done. However, every six months or so I keep finding "one last thing" that I missed, and I throw it away. I just found a music CD this weekend that went in the trash.

If you also got rid of things related to tscc after leaving, did you still find stray mormon things that you missed? If you did, how long was it until you were able to finally get rid of everything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:12AM

My story is similar to yours. I threw out all stuff that was in front of me. Then as I find things in closets, etc, into the bin they go. It feels rather good to clean out any links to the lies in my home.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:16AM

Not long, but I wish I had kept some. I had some old books from my grandfather that would have been of historical and family value. I wish I had kept those.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:20AM

Within a week of figuring out the fraud. I have kept older books just so my family can see documentation of a LOT of changes and deception over time. The rest--trash.

Except that, for my birthday, my sons gave me a large silver coin depicting the Oakland temple. I kept that. If they hadn't given it to me, I would swap it off for other silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 11:22AM by GodLedMeOut.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:22AM

I had my temple clothes and pathetic missionary journal in a trunk as souvenirs of the weird life I once led. I also had a 1969 edition triple combination in a desk drawer to use as comparison to any later modifications. So I'd held onto those things for about 40 years. I got rid of it all about three years ago because it was just taking up space. Now it's rotting in a landfill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 11:23AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: thinkinghotchocolate ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:28AM

I got rid of my mormon undies, but kept the books, I just don't trust the LDS church to not change the things they "teach". I still have books I can not stand,(the miracle of forgiveness) because I want family to know what was taught, before the latest changes.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:33AM

Well, I have 2 books my mother gave me that I had specifically asked for and I'm glad I did.

Other than that, my ex and I sold all our church books at a store in SLC. We got a significant amount of money for them. This was before we decided we didn't believe. It was not long after the September 6 and Steve Benson's departure. Obviously, we were on our way out.

I still have a few things like stuff from my childhood, the gold covered BofM that my ex got from his mission president. I don't know if he wants it or not.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 12:18PM

As noted by several posters, everyone should keep as many old books and journals as possible, so able to show massive changes over the decades.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 12:21PM

When I decided to toss the garments, for one brief second I had the thought that I should cut out the markings and burn them. This lasted for one second and then I just tossed them along with my temple clothes into the smelly trash bin And I am still here to talk about it:).
(Weren't we suppose to burn the markings or was that just a bad dream?)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 12:37PM

I've actually added to my home. I have a nice library I continue to build. Mostly older books, some signed.

I never was into the posters, art, idolatry part.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 04:02PM

I kept my missionary journal -- to remind me of how stupid and ignorant I was.
Everything else went within two weeks of leaving.
First to go were garmies. :)

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 04:11PM

I went through & got rid of everything. When I'm cleaning or going through stuff I'm surprised I still find some Mormon stuff lying around. I throw it out right away.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 04:38PM

I never had garments, but I threw everything else into the trash bin, and since I had dogs at the time, I scooped their poop to put on top of the Mormon stuff. It was pretty cathartic to see the trash truck arrive in the morning to take everything away. Fortunately, the TBM's in my step family have never pushed their beliefs on me, and that includes the relatively recent RM who just got married. The RM still posts Mormon things on Facebook since she hasn't gotten out of that stage yet, but that's why there's a hide feature on that site.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 04:44PM

I kept my younger wives.

(joke)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 05:13PM

I've given away the books by Mormon authors, because I never cared to read them anyway - hence they were truly taking up space.

The Mormon books I have kept are those by historians and non-LDS authors, or ex-Mormons, that I've used as reference materials. Most of what I've learned has been online. Or from the library before there was the Internet.

But I still have maybe 5-6 books or so of LDS reference material. And maybe one good BoM. I've tossed old BoM's out, if they're old and musty. Like I would any other old book, unless it's of exceptional worth.

For example, I donated my three volumes of John F. Kennedy's Congressional papers for each of the years he was president (includes all of his speeches, writings, papers, and letters while president,) to our local area law school rather than donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I hated to see them broken up or get lost or tossed. But they were in excellent condition. I would've liked to have kept them, but they are so heavy and cumbersome and take up quite a bit of space.

Those would cost a small fortune to replace. I just don't want to take them with me when I go to sell my house in a few years to retire someplace else. So I'm trying to thin things out now before then. So long as I can refrain from buying more stuff in the interm! That's the challenge. I'm not a hoarder, but that's because I fight the *urge.*

Being a pack rat runs in both the Mormon side of my family, and the non-Mormon side. I'm also a perfectionist (think Mormon side, okay maybe other side too.) So am always at odds with myself to purge but not without a battle. :D

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 05:17PM

I still have things that have a monetary value that I can sell on eBay .

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 05:26PM

I was born into the church, and I guess I was never very interested in it. I was more interested in my hobbies. So I never accumulated a lot of church paraphernalia. I had to move many times during my life as a Mormon, and it was good to not accumulate lots of stuff.

I have been out of the church for like 19 years now and I still haven't gotten rid of my Mormon stuff, but there was hardly any of it to begin with.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 06:39PM

Well, I have the unique advantage of making a "new start" of sorts. My main home is back in Utah where my TBM wife lives. Of course, it has the First Presidency prominently displayed, an entire bookshelf of Mo-mo books, the "Proclamation on the Family" framed and hung,etc. but since I, for now, live in Kentucky away from my wife and home for a limited time, my little house has abstract paintings, Einstein and cosmology prints on the walls. And nary a bible or BoM are allowed in it. The only remotely religious item I have in the place presently is a program from the Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship. It announces that Sunday's services will consist of a bee keeper's talk about her pursuits, followed by a wine-and-cheese party on Sunday.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 06:43PM

I think that having a bee keeper talk would be incredibly spiritual. It would probably be one of the best talks or sermons that anyone would hear all year. We need bees. They are in crisis, and need our help to survive. If there is a God, IMO this is what s/he wants us to hear.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 06:07PM

Haha. I have more mormon stuff in my home now than I did as a mormon. I kept my quad and I'm glad I did so I can prove things have been changed.

I have collected some of the old books like "Fascinating Womanhood," and some of the old Seminary and YW books to be able to show what I grew up with.

And now I'm fascinated with religious history, the divine feminine/pagan history, along with mormon history so I have things like, "In Sacred Lonliness," "When God Was a Woman," "Paul and the Invention of Christianity," and things along those lines. I had already purged the garmies long before I left the church so it was a very easy transition.

Posted by: Starry... ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 06:41PM

Within a month of figuring out the fraud, we had an old fashion book burning in our backyard!:) we didn't want anything possibly being found by anyone else and lead into the miserable Cult like us.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:36PM

I felt the same way and stood over an industrial strength shredder with all my books so nobody could possibly resurrect that trash and read even a single word of the lies.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 06:47PM

It was a process over a few months: I dumped the G's in the trash, threw out Ensigns, and other materials. I kept all the books (some several decades old), for my library that I keep in a separate place (not in my bookcases in the house.) I have kept all of my personal journals, but I'll probably toss most of them, except for certain events in some of the years that I want to keep for my personal history.
I kept a few things: copies of a Quad, one set of temple clothing stores away.
I did not have any pictures, or anything else.
There is nothing from any religion in my home.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:24PM

I got rid of almost all of my Mormon books except some family heirlooms passed down from my grandmother. I promised her that I would never discard them. I've kept all my so-called "anti-Mormon" books which I refer to as pro-truth. I have kept all of Jerald Tanner's books, pamphlets, and newsletters starting with issue #1 Nov. 1964. I'm glad I did since many of them are no longer available.

The lead article in Jerald's very first issue? "Mormon Church Suppresses Book of Commandments". This article was the start of my journey out of the CULT as I learned for the first time that many of Joseph Smith's early revelations had additions and deletions made to them without any indications whatever. TSCC still publishes the same fraudulent Doctrine and Covenants today and claims it is the word of God.

Mormonism is built on a pack of lies from one end to the other. It reminds me of Watergate - the deeper you go, the more lies and corruption there is to be found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 07:26PM by Templar.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:32PM

It all got thrown away or sent to D.I. as soon as I learned. It took a little longer to completely leave the ward.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:34PM

I had been angry for a long time over an expensive triple combination stolen from me. Now I can smile and think how much I'd rather have the thief paying tithing than me. It was also a mini version that I'd never be able to read now days.

Most of my stuff, except a copy of "Mormon Doctrine" that has all of McConkie's weird teachings, is gone but I dare not throw out my Mom's stuff until she gives me the okay. I don't like seeing it but I don't have the right to get rid of her things until she's ready to let them go.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:13PM

I had put all of my garments in a bag to be thrown out. I had some out of town company (tbm) that stole them.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:15PM

They stole underwear?! Ew!!! Even worse, garmmies!

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:21PM

Throwing things away in Japan is a pain (it's all organized and sorted into different categories; there's even a book city hall gives you to figure out how to throw different things away) so it's all just in a big box in the closet. I haven't decided what to do yet - remove everything that reminds me of the damn cult or keep stuff to show my children just how effed up religion is.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:27PM

I did not know this. I was there for two weeks last year, and when I threw something away, it just went into the garbage. Now that you mention it, there were different bins for different items like plastic, glass, metal, and other.

Have you heard or read the Art of Japanese Decluttering? Someone turned me onto that when visiting St. George, of all places.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 02:15AM

Kept: Personal copy of the 116 page of lost manuscript
Dumped: 2 hideous copies of BoM

Kept: 21 set of customized peep stones
Dumped: Rusty and broken set of urim and thummim

Kept: Reasonably accurate & functioning ouija board
Dumped: One antiquated and malfunctioning crystal ball

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.