Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:24AM

After the deafening silence, I finally had the opportunity to ask a group of educated Mormons about the essays. They all had the same canned group reply.

MORMONS: "Everyone already knew about these things. It's all old news."

(And they didn't want to discuss it further, but I continued.)

ME: "I never knew those things, in all the years I was Mormon, but you really knew all of it?"

MORMONS: "Yes. Everyone knew. We've known for years."

ME: "So, you already knew, and you've still supported Joseph Smith's church? You are OK WITH ALL OF THIS?"

(Silence)

MORMONS: "So...how about those 49ers."

I have a feeling that's all most of us will ever hear about the essays. This was a step up from last week, though, when I asked some other Mormons about the essays, and they said, "What essays?"

I'm discouraged. I'm losing patience, while, in the meantime, the awful cult is continuing to wreak havoc in people's lives. My oldest grandchild will be baptism age in a few months, and her parents still attend the Mormon cult, though they never go to the temple. The other grandparents and 30 relatives are all TBM, and the child doesn't have any chance of escaping baptism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Responder ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:19AM

Next time you might try questioning their moral compass if they try to justify JS's sexcapades. You can do it with a shocked look on your face - like, "I'm really surprised you see nothing wrong with a 36-year-old man propositioning teenage girls and the wives of other men". I can't believe this of you!" (Something like that).

You might get them to question how they look at it (and look to other people) when their own morality is questioned because of their support.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:12AM

Responder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next time you might try questioning their moral
> compass if they try to justify JS's sexcapades.

The church has already done the justifying for them. The church published the info and pretty much said everything was okay, so, presto, there's nothing to worry about.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:21AM

don't they always say this? They don't want to look stupid. I think that everyone of them says this but only a few really did. I know a real good liberal member who has been a sunstone contributor and everything. HE knows this and all the other stuff but practices mormonism anyway. So I think, well at least he's informed and if he wants to still be a Mormon than more power to him. It is people like my wife I worry about. for being such a good little mormon, she knows absolutely no real facts about it. But if I challenged here I'm afraid she might also say, yeah, I knew that.

Posted by: Ish ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:06AM

Perhaps the denial is a response to the irresistable call of Godhood.

If Moism is right, he gets to be a god. With gazillions of wives.

Smith was a genius to build that into the mix.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:15AM

somnambulist Wrote:
> don't they always say this? They don't want to
> look stupid.

It's like what kids do when another tells them something scandalous, amazing, important or cool that they didn't know. "I knew that."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:34AM

Your grandchild will likely not grow up Mormon thanks to you. It only takes one person pointing out that the emperor has no clothes to have an effect, which is why exMos are so often feared.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 06:49AM

"We have always been at war with Eastasia."

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 07:23AM

ExMoBandB Wrote:

>
> MORMONS: "Yes. Everyone knew. We've known for
> years."
>
> ME: "So, you already knew, and you've still
> supported Joseph Smith's church? You are OK WITH
> ALL OF THIS?"

Good for you! It's what needs to be said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 07:23AM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Posted by: jj ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:30PM

I like the idea of saying to the TBMs - you're ok with the idea that God himself sent a hitman-Angel to Joseph to get him to marry teenagers and other men's wives? Really?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:33PM

It would be interesting to have them explain what exactly it is they think they know. It's probably not as much as they think.

And if they do understand and think it's all old hat <pun intended>, then why isn't it in the lesson material?

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:07PM

This ^

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 04:44PM

their silence is tacit approval.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 05:01PM

I agree. Now, I know where the Mormon abuse cycle began. It doesn't make it any more bearable, and it doesn't excuse the Mormons. It does explain why Mormons don't usually change. The cult, and its members will always have free reign to abuse women and children with impunity. Moreover, they will be rewarded for being male and for paying money. They will have a harem in the hereafter, and their own planet to "rule over." After all, their Prophet of God committed these crimes, and that's what he gave himself as a reward. Mormonism is like a sickness.

If the Mormons are silent, they don't have to change everything. I agree that most of them, like me, really did not know. I think they are afraid of Mormon threats, such as that God will withdraw His blessings, if they don't pay tithing they will be ruined financially, fear that their spouse will leave them, fear of shunning, fear of losing family and friends--and the list goes on.

Yes, the Mormons don't want to appear ignorant, but I also think they are afraid.

Mormonism is a fear-driven, hate-driven, evil cult. It represents JS very well. He would be proud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 05:03PM by forestpal.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 11:24PM

"The cult, and its members will always have free reign to abuse women and children with impunity."

How come the men don't ever get to claim abuse? I just came from the thread below in which a wife is threatening to divorce husband because he quit church. Read those stories regularly here, but for some reason, that doesn't count as abuse? As with the morg, cherry-picking to promote your views is dishonest.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1441842

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 08:12PM

I think there is some sort of "false memory" psychology at work, but I don't know enough about it to prove it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 09:59PM

George Orwell wrote about the orthodox mind. People who think that way can manipulate their own memories, and they even get to where they can anticipate changes to policy. They are constantly negotiating the present for advantage. The past is useless to them, as that coin is spent. I am the son of two of these people, so I know.

Posted by: Son of Abraham ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 10:44PM

I have a theory, and perhaps there is some research on this:

Mormons have quickly evolved to be docile and easily controlled.

I think if you exclude any dissent over a number of generations and those groups intermarry, you will quickly select for these traits.

This is just my own theory, but it merits further investigation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.