Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 11:04PM

Good or bad idea?
A gift card to Starbucks. Sounds a bit crazy (why I'm asking).

I was recently hired at Starbucks. I want to share this awesome news with my friend. Don't worry; she'll be happy for me. A gift card is the perfect way to announce this and something I hope she can enjoy.

But I'm torn. Starbucks has a fair selection of coffee/caffeine-free drinks and plenty of food items to choose from. However, some Mormons won't touch coffee chains because it is the equivalent of buying ciggarettes.

I don't think she's *that* strict, since she defended the company selling smoothies, though that was a few years ago. Not sure if the mission has made her double down. Are mission leaders strict about this? I'd even provide a list for her of things she can buy there to meet WoW restrictions. I.E - Smoothies, herbal teas, cold herbal tea mixed drinks, hot chocolate, creme-based frapps, refreshers (minus hibiscous), pastries, and sandwiches.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 11:11PM

I know lots of TBMs that love Starbucks so I see no issue with it.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 11:12PM

I don't see a problem with it either.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: November 26, 2014 11:14PM

As a TBM, I'd maybe go to Starbucks for the other WoW-safe drinks... but I'd be looking over my shoulder and didn't feel right about it. I would have felt awkward to get a gift card from Starbucks, although if I had a friend who worked there and they gave me a Starbucks gift card, it wouldn't have been offensive to me. If you want to pass it off more easily, you can just say that you know there are many WoW-friendly drink options :). Hope this helps.

Posted by: slc bowser ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:55AM

Seems there is no logic, rhyme, or reason.

I am at a Thanksgiving get together with TBM family.

I asked my brother if he would like to try some de-alcoholized wine. They sell it at Pirate O's. His answer: no way. Appearance of evil.

But Martinellis is OK, even though it "appears" just as much like wine or champagne, similar bottle. And there's a carton of Seagrams egg nog in the fridge.

Maybe they don't realize Seagrams is a brand of liquor. Reminds me of the time I heard "Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo" played at an LDS dance. They must have thought Jose Cuervo was a guy named Jose Cuervo.

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:15AM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:17AM

Give the gift to her. She will love it. She gets to choose what to order so she will feel you are not forcing something on her. And it will give you an excuse to visit with her while you drink your whatevers.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 07:07AM

My daughter was a barista at Starbucks in AF and she said the younger Mormon crowd packed the place on Friday and Saturday nights for the hot chocolate. One night they ran out and posted a sign on the door "sorry, out of Mormon drinks".

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 07:46AM

It's every bit as appropriate as the Book of Mormon your friend would have given to a non-Mormon co-worker.

Better yet, make a gift of the Book of Mormon to all your Mormon friends. What are they gonna do?

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:01AM

Hey that is like asking what their favorite marinade is for the grill. I can walk in the local grocery chain and pick up Jack Danials stuff or for those of you that live here close to the south most likely know who I am talking about... The Johnboy and Billy Bigshow, they have their own sauce. Point is that to a TBM even if you can pick it up in a grocery store, as long as it has represents something that is against the WoW or provokes bad thoughts (Rock Music) they will steer from it. So next time they want to get on the WoW kick, ask them this; what brand of mouth wash do they use? Some contain high amounts of alcohol. Just saying that they aren't perfect as they try to make themselves out to be

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:04PM

Some TBMs say to avoid the "appearance of evil" and thats why they wont even enter a starbucks.

Date: November 27, 2014 03:37PM

Exactly. I'm hoping no one will convince her to "pray about it" and make her miss out on harmless drink/meal. I'm sure she'll be fine with it, but I hope she has a cool partner who isn't paranoid.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 12:45AM

Quick question. Why not the hibiscus refresher? Don't they all have green coffee extract?

Date: November 30, 2014 03:21AM

It has caffeine.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 05:00AM

My mormon relative was defensive when admitting she sometimes goes to Starbucks with friends from work. I don't know why because she knows we're not mormon anymore. I guess it must be the appearance of being really, really evil.

She still likes going to Starbucks though! Naughty girl.

Posted by: johnnie ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 12:19PM

If what you are saying is that you have a friend now serving an LDS mission to whom you are thinking of sending a Starbucks card,

1) are there even any starbucks where she is?

2) some missionaries would welcome a new place to contact people, and starbucks would be that. Other missionaries would refuse to go to Starbucks because of "the appearance of evil". If you know which category your friend is that will help you make a decision.

Date: November 30, 2014 03:27AM

1. Yes :)
2. She falls into the first category. Not sure if her mission partner does or not. My friend makes her own choices, thankfully, but that doesn't mean she's immune to peer pressure. We all have those moments. I may end up just gauging her reaction first, then determining from there.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 30, 2014 03:27AM

Give her the universal gift tender: American dollars.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 30, 2014 06:59AM

I recommend a Captain Moroni action figure. But then I always do.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 30, 2014 11:17AM

"A card to help you enjoy sweet treats, trinkets, and chocolate drinks. Enjoy!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.