Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:53AM

You are watched over in your sleep by Porter Rockwell, "samson of the west".

When Fox news is playing on the tv ALL DAY.

Ok, your turn!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 10:54AM by nailamindi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:00PM

When you actually look at your crib notes (i.e. Mormonthink.com) before going to Thanksgiving dinner so that you have the perfect comeback for any Mormon subject that comes up.

When you anticipate Jell-O being served for dinner - lemon shrimp Jell-O.

When you spend the morning debating the rights and wrongs of surreptitiously slamming some citrus rum in the diet Pepsi you are taking to your inlaws.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:08PM

Lemon shrimp Jello? OMG

Date: November 27, 2014 12:13PM

Here's the recipe. My TBM MIL brings it every year and never seems to notice that only one or two spoonfuls are missing from the bowl, usually eaten by someone for a dare.

1 pkg lemon jello
1 1/2 c water
2 T vinegar
1/2 t salt

Mix together and let thicken. Then mix in

1 can of shrimp
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup Miracle Whip
2 T pimiento
1 t onion juice

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:33PM

Holy shit I thought you were kidding about the yellow shrimp jello. You're not though...and that's kind of frightening.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:41PM

OMG--Miricle Whip! perfectly appropriate.

Too bad there's no way to get some Velveeta in there.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:46PM

Holy cow! That is repulsive.

Date: November 27, 2014 01:47PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 01:48PM by roslyn.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 02:14PM

I had forgotten about the Miracle Whip.

But it should be a given.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:15PM

Shudder! That's disgusting!

Date: November 28, 2014 01:30AM

Yes, it's pretty inedible. I can't imagine who came up with this recipe. Honestly, no one eats it unless someone dares them to. My daughter bribed her 7-year-old cousin to eat a spoonful and he had to spit it out - then he demanded two dollars instead of the one dollar she promised him. She felt so guilty that she came and borrowed a dollar off me.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 05:21AM

Holy shit that sounds a,most as bad as the bacon ice cream sundae they were doing at Denney's. I had to ask the waitress about it and she looked at me with one of those oh shit here it comes looks.... So how many have y'all sold... NONE... What I figured

Posted by: blankstare ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 09:54AM

My kids accuse me of inventing new breeds of food, but this takes it to a whole new level. There must be some scriptural refence that would convince her this is evil. Surely God the Mother (GTM) has declared something on this abomination. Doesnt GTM issue recipe revelations to relief society?

The way I see it, this is proof your MIL is worshipping a devil of some sort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 09:54AM by blankstare.

Date: November 28, 2014 11:16AM

LOL. Maybe she is. Honestly making fun of grandma's shrimp Jell-o (or shit Jell-o, as even her TBM grandkids call it behind her back) has become such a staple of our festivities, that I think people would be sad if she quit. It's become it's own sort of truth or dare game. Maybe she just wants us to be grateful for the normal food on the table by comparison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 11:17AM by CA girl.

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:03PM

when every wall in the house has at least one photo of a temple, Prophet or mormon "art"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:05PM

when you are eating funeral potatoes and green jello with grated carrots in it.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:07PM

When the night before you make your husband do a breath test on several different liquors to see which one smells the least

When you look at your knees and shoulders from 360 degree angles to make sure no offensive skin is showing

When the prayer over the meal gets going so long you consider just... starting to eat...

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:10PM

When you have to edit your thoughts and actions to act mormon to oblige the host... that is, become a pod person.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:44PM

Date: November 27, 2014 01:48PM

My condolences to all of you eating with mormons today, I am thankful I don't have to do any of that.

Posted by: peaceinfreedom ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 02:21PM

Amen! I'm grateful for the following things- My parents (TBM) went to my sister's (TBM) and I get to enjoy a wonderful thanksgiving with my brothers, their girlfriends (all of whom are not mormon), full of good food and margaritas made by my boyfriend! Oh and the lemon shrimp Jello? Gross lol.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:53PM

You know you're in the Morridor when, everywhere you go, every other woman you see is pregnant.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 07:19AM

You know it is all about the water.... Hehehe

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 02:10PM

the wine glasses are filled with tap water.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:40PM

When you sneak down stairs to make your "hot chocolate" that's really instant swiss coffee mix.

When your forced to kneel with the family for family prayer. When you slip a little vodka into your mormon fruit punch (just keep track of your glass). When the old people call each other mom and dad instead of their names.

Date: November 28, 2014 01:24AM

This year I took a bottle of Pepsi with Citrus Rum in it with me. I must say, I had a much more relaxing Thanksgiving than usual.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 07:15AM

Sinner ;)

Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:41PM

When you have to listen to multiple conversations about mormon god's one true church, "inspiring" stories about people who were converted away from other faiths.... and then commentary about how exmormons should just keep their mouths shut.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:51PM

That is one of the most repulsive recipes I have ever seen! Shrimp comes in a can? Never seen that. Perhaps you could substitue brine shrimp from the Great Salt Lake and call it Sea Monkey Surprise. It couldn't be any worse.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:57PM

When you are 19 and single are asked "Are you ever going to get married?"

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 04:00PM

That lemon shrimp jello recipe is the most disgusting thing I've seen, as I didn't know shrimp came in a can. I'm thankful that even the Mormons I've known have never come up with something that disgusting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 04:00PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: moronie-balonie ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 06:21PM

In my case it is the other way around.

You know that mormon relatives have come to stay with you for Thanksgiving when...

You sneak your coffee maker out to the shed and go have a cup at 4:30 in the morning.

You hide your rum in an unmarked bottle in the cabinet. You then sneak some into your glass of diet coke when no one is looking. You then secretly laugh to yourself because your dad hasn't got a clue.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:06PM

When your FIL refers to himself as a patriarch, your MiL puts name cards out so relatives have assigned seats, you cannot wear Levi's until dinner is over so you bring a change of clothes, your fallen adult nephews tell you the dirtiest, funniest jokes on the planet, at least four nieces tell everyone they're pregnant, the blessing on the food takes 15 minutes, you have to tell everyone what you're thankful for, there is a Thanksgiving family program with a hymn and prayers, plans are made for Christmas dinner, and you secretly say, fuck many times under your breath. Did I leave anything out? The Boner.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 11:59PM

When all my TBM siblings complain and get bitter about their church callings, HT/VT obligations, meetings but were gushing how grateful they are for the "true gospel" when asked what they are thankful for this fine Thanksgiving day.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 08:33AM

and illustrated at the salamander:

http://www.salamandersociety.com/thanksgiving/

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 08:51AM

When the topic of discussion is whether members of the ward will fulfill their clean the church on Saturday assignments.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 08:54AM

dude, that lemon shrimp jello description is NOT what I needed to think about in my severely hung over state...

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 09:31AM

Thank Anu my in-laws live to far away to enjoy Thanksgiving with. Fond memories from the past: funny stories about the bishop, playing family games instead of watching football, what the funny bishop said at young men's, going around the table and sharing what we are thankful for, Sprite/cranberry juice in the wine glasses, funny stories about the bishop, yada-yada.

Posted by: blj123 ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 11:11AM

Where the infants outnumber the adults by nearly two to one

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.