Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 06:51PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 07:05PM

Family prayer nightly regardless of what church we were or were not in until the day she died.

After that, I went all Brother of Jared.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 01:56AM

Not really. Every once in a while. There's an older couple in my ward who did. The wife would brag piously all the time in RS how her and her husband had never missed one night praying together on their knees since their wedding night. Glad I don't have to listen to that kind of thing any more.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 08:57AM

You sure she was on her knees praying? Or was she on her knees for another sinful activity praying to the God of Felatio.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:03AM

Hell no!

-Dennis

Posted by: Hail Odin ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 06:13PM

Nope, felt like an idiot. I always prayed by myself.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:47AM

He tried!

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 01:30PM

My TBM wife was famous for wanting "couples prayer." During "couples prayer" her prayers would be (paraphrased), "Please bless my stubborn husband to soften his heart. (blah, blah, blah) He must repent. (blah, blah, blah)." In general, "couples prayer" was my wife's vehicle to tell me what I had to do to become a hyper-faithful Mormon.

At some point, I switched from saying "Amen" to "F!U!" I was reported to the bishop. The bishop advised me that if I couldn't abide my wife's "couples prayers" that I shouldn't participate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2015 01:31PM by idleswell.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 06:28PM

idleswell, you made me laugh. Thanks!

Posted by: John_norelation_Wayne ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 01:34PM

We were never very consistent. It was obvious we were doing it out of a feeling of obligation or guilt. I was always the one pushing for it and my wife didn't. It was always...."ok lets pray real quick so I can go to bed and you can stay up reading/knitting/watching tv or whatever"

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 01:58PM

tried the praying with my spouse program- huge fail

my wife (ex wife now) would pray out loud and ask HF to bless me to be a better priesthood holder , husband, home teacher , active and on and on.

Got tired of that and slept in another room until divorce

condescending-? you betcha!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 02:05PM

We had family prayers back in the 50's after Dad & Mom adopted a little sister for my brother and I. She had severe cerebral palsy and Dad prayed every night that the LARD give her some relief from her condition and pain (as if). She passed away at age 3 1/2. Family prayer did not survive that trauma.

Ron Burr

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 04:31PM

I have kneeled with a female of the opposite sex. Is crying out "oh God!" the same as praying? If so, then yes.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:22PM

Hey DB!!!

Sheesh I just choked on my office snacks here!

But i think that counts Bro...better yet..."oh God hear the words of my mouth."

Hope you're feeling back to 100%...if not now...very very soon!

Best,

BTDTEM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 06:55PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 06:49PM

It is some sort of a mind block or something because I can't pray in front of others and never prayed with my "former" spouse. I'm sure that is why he is still gay. (I was worried about that for a long, long, LONNNNGGG time.)

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 06:58PM

Yep with all the kiddies too. There's nothing wrong with prayer people.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 07:21PM

Of course. I like the custom, kind of a moment of being together... we don't do it any more, but I kind of miss it. I wonder what we could replace it with. A moment of gratitude for anything that happened that day?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 09:33PM

Perfect.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 07:38PM

I never was comfortable with the idea of prayer. Giving thanks, yes. But asking for any solution to my first world problems seemed to be the height of selfishness. Thank Gawd my spouse wasn't into it.

Posted by: ExCentric ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 07:49PM

Yes, we would kneel at the side of the bed most nights. I was more into it than my spouse was. Occasionally if we were particularly exhausted, we would pray in bed. Also, we would pray at the beginning of the day before we parted or on any long car ride. Yes, it was a huge waste of time. Mindfulness meditation would make a great replacement that would actually be beneficial.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 09:36PM

We always did.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:04AM

DH always felt it was his job to be the pray-er. I thought I deserved a turn once in a while, because I had some issues I wanted to take up with God as well, but DH insisted that only the priesthood holder was allowed to pray on behalf of the couple.

I quit joining him on my knees and just crawled into my side of the bed. "God can just GUESS what I'm thinking, then." I explained.

That was the end of our efforts.

Posted by: tigermoon ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 01:27PM

No. For about the last two years of our marriage, when he wanted to be active again, and I was trying to "fit in" he started insisting on prayer before bed.

We'd get ready for bed, turn off the lights, then lay on our stomachs next to each other. He would pray, I would silently run commentary in my head, then we'd mumble an amen.

He suggested the kneeling next to each other by the bed once. Didn't happen.

Posted by: Abaddon-notloggedin ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 11:10PM

No, it always felt weird to do that.

Especially when I was hoping to get into her pants afterward. Seemed weird to pray for the Spirit together when I just wanted to play with her downstairs afterwards

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.