Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:11PM

God placed the brothers in a coma so they would be well-rested for farm work the next day.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Moroni%27s_visit/Siblings_remained_asleep

I guess Mormon god wanted to keep this top secret, so he induced Smith's brothers into a coma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 12:14PM by newcomer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:16PM

I wonder if God ever heard of Occam's Razor. If he wanted Moroni to talk with Joe in private wouldn't he have told Moroni to wait until Joe was by himself?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 07:30PM

"If he wanted Moroni to talk with Joe in private wouldn't he have told Moroni to wait until Joe was by himself?"

Yeah, God could have told Joe to meet Moroni down behind the cornfield, where there was perfect safety. :-)

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:24PM

And God has given TBMs a stupor of critical thought so that they can still follow the prophet, despite the recent essays and other mountains of evidence showing that the church is a crock.

God has such handy powers.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:30PM

Good gracious! Just when you thought that you've heard it all. I don't know how those folks can sleep at night (maybe God puts them in a coma too).

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:36PM

...or, God coulda' just had Michael Jackson's doctor load up the boys with Propofol........

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-AEsAF4ln6M/TGIAPmnFL5I/AAAAAAAAAhs/2VJIzm2wBsw/s1600/MurrayMidnightMilk.jpg

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:02PM

When I think about issues like this I always go to the most logical explanation and in this case the most logical explanation of why his family didn't wake up is because he made it all up.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:07PM

If they brothers were awaken, they couldn't work the fields the next day.

Mormon god sure is considerate.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:11PM

Once you invoke magic you can spew anything you want.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 07:22PM

...or screw.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 07:34PM

Maybe it was a young boy's masturbation fantasy at first. Gay or straight, thinking about an almost naked angel might well have gotten young Joe off, and later he might have adjusted the details to suit his need for an angelic visitor named Nephi...er Moroni.

Date: November 29, 2014 01:13PM

He said. "that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me and that his name was Nephi."

http://josephsmithpapers.org/paperSummary/history-circa-1841-draft-draft-3?p=20#!/paperSummary/history-circa-1841-draft-draft-3&p=6

....so, another essay needed?

Date: November 29, 2014 01:47PM

Hmmmm…you know the problem with liars is they always screw up. This would be yet another example of how JS weaved a huge story and couldn't always keep up with his lies.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:21PM

Date: November 29, 2014 05:51PM

..."coma, coma, coma, chameleon...you come and go, you come and go."

So, we really don't know just who in the hell he saw......it could have been Boy George, Larry King.......or even Donald Trump........right? Makes about as much sense.........

http://beausic.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bg-06.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/17/article-0-1D2664F700000578-327_634x631.jpg

http://www.celebritydarling.com/images/donald-trump31.jpg

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:39PM

Date: November 29, 2014 09:54PM

Damnit! Now that song will forever be stuck in my head, just like that.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:53PM

Actually, this is fairly common in alien abductions. The abductee's family doesn't hear a thing. I'm pretty sure Moroni wasn't a Gray or a reptilian. Maybe a Nordic, but Joseph would have said something about the eyes.

More likely, Joseph was just spinning yarns.

He certainly wasn't probed. From what I've read, it was Joseph who liked to do the probing.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 03:20PM

That makes God out to be very stupid.

Instead of putting the boys into a coma, he should have made Moroni (or Nephi) wake them up so that there would be witnesses to this momentous event.

God provided witnesses to authenticate the existence of the plates by an angel. Why not the same for the angel's visit?

Not good planning, Elohim!

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:56PM

FAIR does such a splendid job of revealing just how absurd Mormon teachings can get.

How many people has FAIR driven out of the LDS Church?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 06:34PM

They said that it just wasn't important to mention it, but actually, it would have added greatly to the story to have written something like . . . "my brothers, who lay nearby, woke not, for the Lord put them into a stupor." I think that would have been important to mention.

Also, it would make more sense that the Lord stupified them because Joseph was the chosen one, not because the Lord wanted to make sure they were all rested up. By the scriptures I've read, the Lord doesn't seem to worry about people's rest - except on Sunday - and then you don't really get to rest then either.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 08:14PM

best.answer.ever!

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 06:49PM

Aren't they stretching this a bit!??

Date: November 29, 2014 07:04PM

Horses are really tapirs, "translation" doesn't actually mean "translation", the three letters "NHM" proves the BoM is true, etc... naw, this kind of answer is expected.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 07:38PM

.....he wiped all memory of the incident clean from their brains. The braincleaning was so effective that none of the brothers ever mentioned that Joseph had ever told them that such an event in 1823 had ever occurred. You'd think that an event so huge would be noteworthy enough to tell someone about.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:24PM

I can hardly wait for the church to commission new artwork reflecting FAIR's concession. The currently approved version depicting JS alone in the bed with a WTF look on his face is no longer de rigeur.

Date: November 29, 2014 09:26PM

"JS alone in the bed with a WTF look on his face"

Haha... so true... definitely a WTF moment.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:34PM

god is such a shit head.
he used to do the same thing to me every time I set foot into a mormon ward house.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:42PM

I certainly do not believe the story,but if you believe in an omnipotent God, I suppose he could appear to one person in a room and hide himself from others. Th is sort of what omnipotent means. In short, there are better ways to discount JS such as the ever changing first vision.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:46PM

What if Joseph saw his sheet rising on a woody tentpole? To him, it was a delightsome and goosey angel. That's why they called the song Bony Moroni.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:49PM

You know, their straining at gnats while swallowing whales is just pathetic. Doog dog, there are far, far larger issues than this. Sheesh.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 10:18PM

Fuuuuuuuuck! Now I've heard it all! Boner.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 30, 2014 10:19PM

This is standard FAIR practice...

Make something up out of thin air, something for which there is NO evidence of any kind, as an "explanation" for some problematic claim or issue in morgmonism.
Claim that this made-up nonsense "explains" away all of the problems.
Issue ad-hominem attacks against anyone who points out that there's no evidence of any kind for their "explanation."
Then claim that since they've already explained away this "problem," there's no need to consider it a problem any more.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 09:39AM

FAIR put that in response to our reasonable question on MormonThink. Just how lame is FAIR's response? FAIR responded with:

And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

What if we were to state,

"Now the big question is that when the Lord God removed one of Adam's ribs, why didn't he wake up?"

HOW CRAZY IS THAT? If Adam even existed, is it LDS theology that God actually removed one of Adam's ribs to create Eve? I don't think Mormons believe that is a figurative account of the creation of Eve but FAIR acts as if it is. Very lame response by FAIR.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.