Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Delila ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:00AM

Sorry if this has been posted before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGyLVPuM48

The "essays" are getting publicity...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:34AM

Very good. People are trying hard not to judge, but...

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:37AM

for posting

Posted by: wondering2 ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:43AM

I wonder what Maher's obsession with Mormonism is about. He was never a member. Does he bash other religions also, besides in that stupid movie he did?

Far be it from me to defend the LDS Church. I just think Maher is a asswipe. Why doesn't he bash Scientology? They are seriously worse than the LDS Church. What's the deal?

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:16AM

Probably because almost everyone who isn't a Scientologist knows it is a cult. Most people don't realize so is TSCC with some very scary beliefs and practices. Since a Mormon came relatively close to becoming the president, perhaps he feels the public should have their eyes opened about TSCC.

Plus Maher is an entertainer/comedian and there is just so much to mock in TSCC. Every time I think about guys riding tapirs I have such a good chuckle. Seriously thinking of getting a tapir bumper sticker.

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 08:41AM

He's made at least one documentary I'm aware of about religion in general - "Religulous", and I think an HBO special as well. Didn't focus on mormonism per se that I'm aware of.

Posted by: beebs ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 02:30PM

Bill Maher is an intelligent, pot smoking, clear thinking, hilariously irreverent athiest comedian. He takes shots at all religions, especially those that are way whacked out. That makes Mormonism a very easy target. I never miss his show.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 02:45PM

"I wonder what Maher's obsession with Mormonism is about. He was never a member."

I'd opine that Maher bashes Mormonism a lot because the church puts itself out there with its PR machine, tens of thousands of missionaries, etc. Considering the church's dubious origins and issues like polygamy, Mormonism is easy pickins' for comedians.

"Does he bash other religions also, besides in that stupid movie he did?"

FYI, two valued members of this Ex-Mormon community, Bill Gardiner and Tal Bachman, appeared in Maher's movie to talk about Mormonism. Also, a lot of that movie poked fun at Maher's own religion, Judaism. Comedians do bits about current news events, and the polygamy essays are current news.

"Far be it from me to defend the LDS Church. I just think Maher is a asswipe."

I agree that Maher says a lot of stupid, indefensible things on various subjects. But he says a lot of intelligent and rational things too. He's a comedian/political commentator. It's part of his schtick to say outrageous, inflammatory things.

"Why doesn't he bash Scientology? They are seriously worse than the LDS Church. What's the deal?"

Probably because Scientology isn't nearly as big as Mormonism, and they are secretive and cloistered, as opposed to Mormonism, which is billing itself as mainstream, and is all about PR and winning converts. Maher may very well have done bits on Scientology, but you'd have to research it. This BB is about Mormonism.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 04:44PM

Just a clean-up here. Maher's not Jewish. He was raised Catholic. He even did a small bit last week or the week before on how folks automatically think he's Jewish.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:13PM

and that's how he was raised.
His mother quit the Catholic Church because of their stand against birth control. This was all in Religulous.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:19PM

...his mother was a Hungarian Jew. His name, his looks, and his style of humor run a lot closer to Jewish than Catholic.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 02:59PM

he bashes all religions. If you regularly watched his show you would see it. But, mormons have been in their "moment" and are a topic of interest the past few years.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 04:30PM

He mocks every religion. He's an atheist, who is most famous recently for arguing with Ben Afleck and making Afleck go off on a major rant calling him and well respected, multi best selling author Sam Harris, bigots, for criticizing Islam, not Muslims, but the religion, Islam.
He makes fun of EVERY religion and superstition.
He's a comedian.
Grow a sense of humor.

Posted by: hangingaround ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:40PM

Maher bashes scientology all the time. Mormonism and scientology are both really hilarious, once you're out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBhGcyqsfM8

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:10PM

See his movie "Religulous"

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 07:10PM

Bill Maher has said that the only reason he picks on Mormonism a little more than other religions is because it's the easiest one to disprove.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 11:07PM

wondering2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder what Maher's obsession with Mormonism is
> about.

> Why doesn't he
> bash Scientology? They are seriously worse than
> the LDS Church.

Number of Scientologists in the U.S. Senate = 0
Number of Mormons in the U.S. Senate = 7

Number of Scientologists in the U.S. House of Representatives = 0
Number of Mormons in the U.S. House of Representatives = 10

Number of Scientologists who have been major-party presidential candidates = 0
Number of Mormons who have been major-party presidential candidates = 1

Number of Mormons working at CIA = Lots and lots
Number of Scientologists working at CIA = Meh

Mormons are WAY more relevant than Scientologists.

Date: December 01, 2014 11:16PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:50AM

a.) Mormons outnumber Scientologists a 1,000 to one.

b.)There's way way more screwball beliefs to be found in Mormonism.

b.) Scientology bites back.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 04:10AM

Ha-ha-ha-ha! Now I know what the Mormon cult is good for: it is a religion that other religions can look down on!

Wondering2, my serious issue with the Mormon cult is that it supports and excuses JS's polygamy, polyandry, child rape, hoaxes, frauds, and even murders. They support all this today, in the present. Mormons believe they have a present-day Prophet of God, that is revealing that the Mormon church is the true church of God--the same church it was founded to be, my JS. Polygamy still exists in the Mormon celestial kingdom. The old sexist doctrines have not changed. All this garbage has been outed in the news, and not one APOLOGY, not one regret, not one admission that JS's actions were WRONG has come from any Mormon.

At least the Catholic church has owned up to its crimes, expressed regret, and apologized, and prosecuted the most recent pedophiles.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 09:32AM

The LDS invite such criticism because of their intrusive evangelism, their covert funding and management of Question 8 in California, their ongoing opposition to civil rights for LGBT, their history of institutional racism, and the faith's public relations tone, which can best be described as "triumphant bellicosity." Add to that the campaign of Governor Romney.

As the LDS sought acceptance in mainstream Christianity they invited a deep examination of their faith, and more importantly their spotted history and their history of racism.

Their continued opposition to full civil rights for the LGBT puts them right in the crosshairs of many powerful interests and personalities. Had the faith focused on christian service, no one would give them much attention, but instead they entered the public square and have attempted to impose their will on others.

The LDS have a "glass jaw" when it comes to these matters. I have no sympathy for their perceived "persecution." They invite it. And for some odd reason, some of them only seem happy if they feel persecuted.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 09:34AM by unabashed.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 11:53AM

+1!

Posted by: hangingaround ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:44PM

You forgot sexism.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 01:18PM

No other corporate religion such as Scientology or the televangelists have had one of their own come so close to becoming President of the United States.

There is also a chance that the same Mormon candidate may be running again.

Of course they deserve scrutiny, and more so than other religions that do not meddle so openly in politics.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 01:33PM

Bill Maher bashes all religions.

He makes fun of Catholicism, Scientology, and Mormonism to name just three.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 02:55PM

DeAnn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill Maher bashes all religions.
>
> He makes fun of Catholicism, Scientology, and
> Mormonism to name just three.

And Islam far more than others. In the case of Islam, they certainly deserve it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:00PM

This one's even better, where he (about 2.5 minutes in) un-baptizes by proxy Mitt Romney's dead father in law, who refused to be a mormon when he was alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L-2uYVleKI

Posted by: MossyBucket ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 03:41PM

All respectable individuals are a**wipes. With the exceptions of those who have lost arms, the demetia-afflicted elderly and infants under age 3 years of age. Until I read your post the third time, I didn't realize I was one, too.

Date: December 01, 2014 03:52PM

Bill Maher's assault on religion is like medicine to me. It's about time.

My three favorite media pundits are, Bill Maher, John Stewart and Steven Colbert.

Bane to me: Megyn Kelly, Glenn Beck and Dennis Miller, who used to be funny.

Sometimes I agree with Bill O'Reilly's opinions, but his education is so spotty, I would call it a sham. At his best he sounds like an armchair philosopher. Sean Hannity is just sad; he buddied up with a criminal Mormon in Nevada, and then he tried to hang with the Duck Dynasty clowns.

The men I like for news and opinions are funny, erudite and wicked with the satire. More power to Bill Maher, I say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 03:53PM by donbagley.

Posted by: joesleftnut ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 04:34PM

I want to make a plug here for John Oliver and his recent weekly HBO show "Last Week Tonight". The man is as funny as Stewart and Colbert and because his show is on HBO it truly pulls no punches, ever. It is both informative and comedy gold.

Date: December 01, 2014 04:37PM

He is funny and insightful. I like his work.

Posted by: Whoever ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 04:24PM

Bill's recent ex-girlfriend grow up Mormon.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:42PM

What he says might be harsh, but his observations hopefully make people think. I haven't noticed he says anything inaccurate and seems to be informative. I watched Religulous. I did not really feel he was being offensive by giving his observations.

My opinion is that he does not think a Mitt Romney should be President of the United States.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.