Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 04:40PM

Anyone mormon or not, can argue about the health risks of alcohol when consumed in excess, but there are no real health risks to coffee or tea in general.

The caffiene itself isn't bad. Mormons drink caffeinated soda
The "hot" part itself isn't bad. Mormons drink hot chocolate
So what is it about coffee and tea that is bad?

Hearing a rather intelligent TBM coworker (who is an engineer), tell me he doesn't know what is actually bad about coffee and tea but he is told not to drink and that's good enough for him, is just hard to understand.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 05:01PM

and also to not take in anything to the point that one becomes addicted to it (whatever it may be). Caffiene is not good for those who suffer from gastrointestinal disorders.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 06:41PM

Sugar isn't good for diabetics. Dairy products are not good for people with ulcers. Etc. etc. etc. Why aren't are those poor people protected in the WoW?

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:41AM

lillium Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sugar isn't good for diabetics. Dairy products
> are not good for people with ulcers. Etc. etc.
> etc. Why aren't are those poor people protected
> in the WoW?

True, then there's the problem of gluten intolerance, what with the WOW encouraging the consumption of grains. It's been discussed in this forum time and again over many years. Those types health habits were far too advanced for Elohim, poor guy.

Too bad trolls and TBM spies don't get it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:38PM

It no longer has anything to do with health. It only has to do with O B E Y!!

Posted by: Diane ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:44PM

Supposedly, both coffee and tea contain tanic acid--the stuff they tan leather with. Do you want you insides "tanned" like leather. I heard that more than once.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:46PM

If it were a health issue, the bit about eating meat on occasion would be strictly enforced. It's not really about tannins as the same stuff in tea is found on fruit skins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2011 07:47PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:30PM

WoW is a good litmus test for determining how TBM you really are.

Drink Coke? Must be a "letter of the law" kind of mormon.
Drink Red Bull? Careful with this one, late nights == possible worthiness issues.
Drink Tea/Coffee? Oh My Heck! Get the Bishop on the phone, only he can talk sense into this poor soul and save them.
Drink Beer/Wine? Anti-Mormon, don't trust anything they say, they only want to justify drinking... but they know deep down it's all true.
Drink liquor? Alcoholic. See what leaving the church does children?

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 11:04PM

I work for a company that has an energy product. We sell more in Utah then anywhere else. Mormons won't drink coffee but don't mind getting caffeine from other sources. On a recent trip to Utah, my mom made a huge deal about me wanting to bring a coffee maker to her house instead of me having to drive to a coffee shop every morning. She cried, tried to make me feel bad, but didn't seem to think anything was wrong with the cases of coke she has in her garage. Needless to say, I won't be staying at her house anymore.

Posted by: pkdfan2 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 11:28PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 09:55AM

A favorite essay of mine on the Word of Wisdom is by Lester Bush (physician). He shows how, contrary to recent assertions, the Word of Wisdom was actually what "medical science" in the 1820s and 1830s preached.

Bush claims that the Word of Wisdom would have been far more useful (and prophetic) to the 19th Century Mormons had it included instructions to use only clean water and to adequately dispose of waste. In fact, "hot drinks" and some alcoholic beverages may have saved the lives of many 19th Century Mormons had they drank them instead of the unsanitary water in Nauvoo, along the plains, and in Utah.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:04AM

Date: March 24, 2011 10:21AM

http://www.lds-mormon.com/twog.shtml

I'm afraid I may have mislead- I didn't have the essay, but is referred to in the third paragraph.

However, I did order the book and can't wait 'til the mailman gets here.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:13AM

Posted by: flackerman ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:23AM

The WOW is used as a measure of how faithfull (blind obediant follower of the brethren) a member is in a way that can be seen and demonstrated. It is a form of control.

It has nothing to do with health for the reasons that have already been stated.

In the WOW, "God" tells joseph that this is not a commandment or should be enforced by contraint, and that it is for the temporal welfare of the saints. By enforcing the WOW as a prerequisite to the temple (and therefore salvation) the church has thrown out what "God" said about it, they are ignoring their own scriptures in favor of forcing the membership to be obediant to them. That makes the current use of the WOW "anti-mormon" IMO.

Date: March 24, 2011 11:30AM

And let's not forget- while the use of hot herbal tea is okay because it does not contain caffeine, the mormon profit Tom drinks caffeinated Pepsi which is okay because it isn't hot.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:32AM

I'm suspecting that he also eats a little too much meat to pass his Reccommend interview...

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 12:40PM

She was the GD teacher at the time. I wanted so badly to explain that herbal teas were technically infusions, and tea only came from the tea leaf, because I loved my herbal tea.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:25AM

As I recall, the Word of Wisdom came in response to Emma having a right old go at Joseph for him and his buddies leaving tobacco spit and smoke all over the gaff after meetings and expecting her to clean it up.

Posted by: ETG ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:22PM

Mormon culture would be interesting if the WoW were actually followed as it is taught in D&C 89.

As a child you would have memories of having to turn down hot chocolate or apple cider or any other hot drink, or at least ask to have an ice cube put in it, even if you just came inside from the cold. Although there would be some debate if it was just warm, it would be ok to drink, and at what temperature would it be considered warm and not hot. Cups with built in thermometers would be the norm.

Instead of being looked down upon for walking into coffee shop, you would be looked down upon if you walked into McDonalds, Arbys, or any other fast food place that served meat. Going into a steakhouse would be like going into a bar. Just pure evil inside. Mormon moms would boast how healthy their kids were because they ate garden burgers and carrot sticks instead of hamburgers and french fries.

Utah would be a mecca for beer drinkers. There would be all sorts of high end craft brews that were world renowned. There would be some debate over barley wine and sake. At what point do mild grain drinks become too strong and no longer mild?

Instead mormons love to break the WoW every day. Drink hot drinks and eat meat all you want, you may be made bishop.

Summber BBQs are the ultimate time of year Mormons love to mock God and break the word of wisdom. Eat a lot of meat, and instead of drinking something made from grain, make a big batch of root beer. Silly God telling us to drink grain based drinks and not to eat meat except sparingly in winter/famine. So summer if the perfect time to mock him the most!

I guess deep down they must know JS was full of it and shouldn't follow the WoW as Jesus taught it. We are smarter than Jesus.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:49PM

http://www.greenbeanscoffee.com/coj/index.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 11:50PM by possiblypagan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.