Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 09:45PM

I typically get mine on the 3rd of each month. It still hasn't arrived. is anyone else's social security check not arrived this month besides mine here??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 10:11PM

Sorry, everyone I know uses direct deposit.
My aunt had hers on time.
Maybe the holiday delayed the hard checks?

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 10:22PM

Do you still receive the paper check, or are you on direct deposit?

Date: December 05, 2013 10:28PM

Direct deposit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 06:37PM by Susan I/S.

Date: December 06, 2013 01:49AM

Yes, most definitely time to contact them. It should have arrived already.

Posted by: Ebebigbossingup ( )
Date: December 02, 2015 07:38AM

Ididnt recieve my ssi check and I have direct express and I have no pending deposits why is that? I depending on my money so i can pat my bills rent lights and i have munie childeren in my home im responsable for clihes shoes all there nasessaities

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 12:44AM

I have direct deposit and mine came thru just fine. better check with the local office. also you should be able to go to the soc sec site and check on it.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 01:32AM

Direct deposit. Ok. Danittes???????????????

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 02:06AM

I know you are on disability, so did you recently come under review?

If so, it is possible that they found you to be able enough to go back to work, and that is why your check didn't come.

Did you just turn 21?

If you did, that could also possibly be the reason -- if you were on your parent's social security instead of disability by virtue of your own work history.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 02:53AM

I thought they had made direct deposit mandatory for everyone by now.

If it were me, I wouldn't call the (800) number. I used to work in one of their call centers and the service ranges from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

It's also been my experience that the field offices are shortening their hours of being open to the public so the reps can get more work done without interruption. Sad, but true.

If there were an actual REASON for stopping or changing your check, you would have gotten a notice about it - that's the law. So if you haven't gotten any kind of notice, you should have gotten a check.

I retired before there was so much stuff available online, but I know that nowadays you can establish an "account" about your own check; maybe that can tell you what's going on. Give it a try. Go to www.ssa.gov and it will tell you how to set up an account.
Maybe that "account" can tell you what's going on. (I honestly don't know - I don't get SS myself.)

Oh, wait - was your mom your payee? That could be the reason for the delay. You need to check on that.

Good luck!

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 12:55PM

IN my area, Social Security is located in Twin Falls! They are open only 27 hours a week! And the wait is long for help!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 06:14AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 10:03AM

Call the postoffice. Sometimes they stick to the one before it and gets misdelivered. And call to get it immediately recut. Better to get it direct deposit than stolen from mailbox!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 12:55PM

It's time to contact them, especially if your mom was the payee so they could change that to yourself. I've heard that with the recent government shutdown, people on SSI were unable to report their income for a month, which screwed things up. If that were the case, you should have received a letter about that before any checks were stopped. It might mean that you have to give up a day to spend in the office so you can talk to someone to straighten out any glitches.

Unfortunately, with government, you have a bunch of bean counters working, some who would have rather gotten a job somewhere else, so they often make mistakes that cost people their checks.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 06, 2013 01:02PM

Along those same lines, your father should contact Social Security regarding the death of your mother, if he hasn't done so already. He is entitled to death benefits.

Info re: death benefits

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/332

Date: December 06, 2013 02:56PM

He's already done with my mom on Tuesday this week. He is also my payee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 06:38PM by Susan I/S.

Date: December 07, 2013 12:42PM

Just checking...

Did you ever get this straightened out, southern idaho inactive?

Did you find out what the problem was?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 12:53PM

We checked again last night on my account. Still nothing.
Not yet. But if it's not here Monday . My dad and I should go down to the office to find out going on Tuesday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 06:14AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 12:57PM

I have to wonder if they are confusing your mom's account with your account. The regular monthly checks should have stopped this month for your mom.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 08, 2013 03:18AM

There shouldn't be any confusion regarding which checks belong to whom. There are specific codes used on the Social Security checks (and everything else in the system) that define the recipient's relationship to the worker whose employment the check is based on. There is a similar system for SSI.

If your Dad is already your payee, and you haven't gotten any kind of notice stating that your check will be delayed, suspended or terminated (they HAVE to send a notice, by law, giving you appeal rights), I would just bite the bullet and go to the office to find out what the problem is. Take a good book or a tablet or something to amuse yourself with. The wait WILL be horrendous. But I'd go anyway.

As I said before, I would NOT call the (800) number. You will have a horrific wait (I have answered calls where the poor caller had fallen asleep by the time I came on the line, and I hollered as loud as I dared, hoping to wake him up, but he was deeply asleep. I felt like an arch-villain because I had to hang up and go on to the next caller.) And even worse, it's a gamble as to what kind of service you'll get. You could get excellent service from a knowledgeable rep who can track down what happened to your check and take appropriate action to get a replacement to you or explain what's going on. On the other hand, you might get a clock-watching schmuck who doesn't give two hoots about solving your problem and just wants to get you off the line as soon as possible so they will have a short "call time." I wish that weren't the case, but I've seen plenty of both.

GOOD LUCK!! I'm hoping that your check has just gone astray somewhere and some Good Samaritan will return it to the Post Office, who will then forward it to you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.