Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Off the fence ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 05:55PM

So this might be a total shitpost but I don't have anyone else to talk to about it.

I was planning on transferring out of the Y at the end of the semester but it turns out the U and Weber don't have my degree program and my transfer evaluation from Utah State indicates it would take 7-8 semesters on top of my 85 credits to graduate.
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

So this means 23 y/o me won't be dating anyone any time soon, forever alone. Or having deep friendships since I have to fake being into the church. God help me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 06:00PM

Perhaps there are a few like minded individuals also at BYU?

Posted by: The Tare ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 06:30PM

Is this a full extra 7-8 semesters on top of what it would take at BYU? Are there out of state options that would not be as much (although I realize out of state tuition can be killer).

Maybe some friends will surprise you (or will they report you?). Even when I was a TBM in Utah, my best friends were not LDS and I was in a Greek Sorority in college. So, some Mormons would accept you and I bet there are more than you know at BYU, but just don't say anything.

It probably seems like forever now, but I doubt you will be alone forever. Maybe find some activity you enjoy where other people your age are involved up in SLC or something?

Date: January 07, 2016 06:44PM

7-8 semesters as of the fall semester that concluded before christmas. As far as the stuff I'm taking this semester, idk, but it probably wouldn't contribute much. Out of $tate i$ out of the que$tion :(

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 06:45PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 07:34PM by want2bx.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 06:54PM

It sounds like you could get the job done in about three semesters. Can some of it be done through online coursework? If your options are limited, the sensible thing to do would be just to buckle down and finish it out at BYU. Life is long and you are still quite young. Your day will come.

Have you checked out UVU or Dixie State?

Date: January 07, 2016 07:01PM

Yeah I went to UVU one semester but wanted to go somewhere more competitive (what a snob I am huh lol). It has a public health program but it doesn't have accreditations from certain industry groups I need to get the jobs I want. Dixie doesn't have my program. Thanks for the recommendations tho.

Date: January 07, 2016 07:05PM

Are you looking to go into hospital administration?

Date: January 07, 2016 07:08PM

Industrial hygiene (masters degree)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 07:10PM by onthefence.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 07:36PM

Date: January 07, 2016 07:46PM

Yeah definitely that's one I'm considering after finishing my BS. U of Iowa is my top choice though.

Date: January 07, 2016 08:51PM

I think if you keep your eye on your goals you will get through the BYU torture-fest just fine. What are some other graduate programs that you are looking at?

Date: January 07, 2016 09:11PM

Relatively speaking there are only a handful of programs compared to other masters degrees. But it's an up and coming field that's becoming very high demand ;)
http://www.abih.org/become-certified/abet-accredited-ih-programs

Initially I was on the pre-med track but my grades weren't cutting it and this looked like a great alternative. I might consider epidemiology, tracking statistics is always fun but it's not my greatest strength. I'll consider PhD in PH, depending on how I enjoy my undergrad research. Hospital admin is a great career but I'm not so interested in operations and management stuff, I just kind of like to have my job and do my own thing if that makes any sense.

Date: January 07, 2016 09:53PM

You have a number of good alternatives for programs. A friend of mine went into his second choice for career when the first choice didn't pan out. He admitted later on that that he was a lot happier with it than he would have been with his first choice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.