Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 07:41PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 08:29PM

It was ok. Not exactly an edge of your seat experience...

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 09:24PM

Pretty good in the usual popular dystopia sort of thing. Some great actors (Meryl Streep and The Dude). Can't go wrong for $2.

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 09:40PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 09:54PM

I was thinking $1.35. Not a penny more. I'm not a spendthrift like bishop Rick.

I might see it if I happen to notice it at my library. I read the book. Somehow the books always seem better than the movies to me.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 09:48PM

. . . wacky call-in radio show. The caller said the movie depicted the negative consequences attendant to life on the planet if everyone was "equal in everything." The caller then said, "We will never eliminate racism," as if we should all just surrender to inevitable defeat and simply accept bigotry as an unconquerable foe. The lingering unanswered question (at least to me) regarding the caller's less-than-brilliant observation was, "Then why the hell even try?" I thought, "Talk about a straw man. Who said we could ever eradicate racism once and for all, completely and forever?"

That unlikely possibility doesn't mean, however, that we shouldn't make the collective effort--through ongoing, persistent education of the human species coupled with evolving societal progress in science, expanded human contact across cultural boundaries and growing awareness of the human family's genetic connectedness across artificial racial lines--to reduce, as much as humanly possible, racism, bigotry, prejudice and other destructive social ills that are embedded, bred and passed on from generation to generation through ignorance and fear,

I was, in short, not impressed in the least with the caller's rather brain-dead observation. If the caller liked the flick on the basis of that kind of personal assessment of humanity's fate, I wouldn't be surprised if I never saw the movie (that is, assuming the caller accurately described its premise in the first place. If, on the other hand, the theme of the flick is more positive and hopeful, then it doesn't say much for the caller's excuse to simply accept things as they are and not try to effect positive change).

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 01:25AM by steve benson.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2014 09:59PM

If you're looking for a big screen experience, sure, spring for the 2 bucks. It's 1.50 at red box if you want the home experience.

It was an OK movie. I thought the acting was good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.