Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 08:51AM

Every time I come across missionaries and ask them about their scriptures, they claim they don't carry around the D&C or Book of Abraham and don't want to talk about them. Why is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXW-CHtD07g&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVCpeZxKrg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 08:57AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 08:59AM

I suspect it's because they quickly realise you are simply jerking them around.

Posted by: - ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 03:39PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 09:03AM

When I was on my mission (old days) we were told to never allow investigators to see or read the D&C because it contained the "meat of the gospel," and they weren't ready for it. I suspect that what they were saying was that it was full of embarrassing Shiz that would have made investigators turn away for sure.

Date: December 10, 2014 03:37PM

It's tough not to trigger their reptilian fight or flight instinct when they sense their cognitive dissonance setting in.
I'd love to find a way to get them to admit what they 'really' believe about the Word of God, knowing full well that both Joseph's Myth and Bring'em Young violated it by telling their followers, "Your wife and children are now mine. I am sending you overseas on a Mission so I can make babies with her."

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 09:04AM

These kids know nothing. It is sad how little they know about church history and they are sent out to "convert" the world.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 09:08AM

They probably figure that they're already handing people an unfamiliar book of scripture in the Book of Mormon. If you hand people a whole pile of new books that you consider to be scripture, you might overwhelm them.

They definitely believe in handing things to them gradually. They know full well that the whole deal would be overwhelming and no one would join.

I can't even remember when they handed me the rest of the books.

Date: December 10, 2014 03:39PM

Yeah, failing to disclose the whole truth, the most important facts about a person's life, and instead focussing only on his noble aspects, is called lying.
Willfully ignoring the facts, that everybody else is well aware of, is called delusion.

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 09:13AM

Yep, I had similar experience a few months ago. One said the D and C was too heavy to carry round. He then said that all the principles necessary for salvation can be found in the BOM. This statement is calculated to deceive as the general public don't understand that mormons view salvation and exaltation differently.

Date: December 10, 2014 03:43PM

Uh, the Book of Mormon called Polygamy "an abomination before God" the Bible calls screwing other men's wives adultery, which violates 2 of the 10 Commandments, punishable by enternal damnation.
If the Book of Mormon was all that was required for salvation, then it would condemn Joseph and Brigham's polyandry as an abomination before God.
Either way they shouldn't have their praises sung every Sunday by millions of Mormons and they sure as hell shouldn't be naming their universities after a Cuckold Bull manwhore.
Checkmate.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 12:28PM

D&C...Book of Abraham??

Don't worry about any of that stuff.

Just put on these white clothes and get out your checkbook.

I don't have all day.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 01:44PM

Lol

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 01:35PM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every time I come across missionaries and ask them
> about their scriptures, they claim they don't
> carry around the D&C or Book of Abraham and don't
> want to talk about them. Why is that?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXW-CHtD07g&feature=youtu.be
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVCpeZxKrg

Your second link doesn't work, I'm afraid. It's marked as "private."

Date: December 10, 2014 03:27PM

Posted by: - ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 02:43PM

Thanks, koriwhore.

Date: December 10, 2014 03:44PM

My pleasure.
More to come certainly.
I confront Missionaries with their nonsensical religious beliefs every time I see them.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 04:27PM

Might be nice to have some more of these from the other Mormo visitor centers. Have a contest and run some numbers of which missionaries were more informed than the others. West versus East. Temple square vs The Hill Cumorah Visitors Center vs Nauvoo Visitors' Center.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 05:27PM

It would be interesting to have ten questions on church history and doctrine that you could have printed out and in your pocket for when you encounter missionaries.

The questions would have to be very matter-of-fact and indisputable, just not very well known to members, particularly young missionaries.

Sample questions;

The Book of Mormon specifically forbids polygamy. True or false?

Joesph Smith owned the largest saloon in Illinois. True or false?

Before he started the Expositor newspaper, William Law held what position?

The temple ceremony once contained the following element:

- A group dance.
- A reenactment of the the crucifixion with Joseph Smith on the cross.
- Pantomime of ritual murder and dismemberment.

That's just a start.

Any other suggestions? We could distribute and have a variety of quizzes so missionaries would have to stay on their toes and actually learn something about the church.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 04:36PM

When I was on my mission I had a couple of investigators who asked to read the D&C. I refused to let them because I knew it would just bring up more issues. I reasoned that they had to accept the BofM first. But really I didn't know how to defend anything in the D&C and didn't want to deal with it.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 04:47PM

Whenever true and factual information about church history is shared with missionaries, doesn't fit the MTC narrative then, makes them question their belief, or comes across as inflammatory, negative, and uncomfortable they get defensive.

To improve success more questions have to be asked, and the tone of the voice has to pleasant, relaxed, and appear non confrontational, and not excited. If it is fast, abrupt, and more commanding, pushy, then they don't like it. Missionaries want to control the conversation. Anything that comes across as questioning their religious heros then the conversation tone has be more relaxed. Change the subject and have missionaries share a different doctrine, let them talk a bit, and then bring in the questioning hammer because it's likely they don't know more about the doctrine they were just talking about. Always remember that missionaries were lied to like everyone else. Yes, they are younger and had the internet. A search engine is only as good as what desire to look up.

These sister missionaries probably prayed that night thanking the Lord for the experience to be buffeted by Satan in form of a former member sharing evil "lies" about their 1st profit.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 04:49PM

I had an investigator that found the BOM to be boring, but was totally turned on by the D&C, she even got baptized over it. THen she further investigated the church, and discovered it was completely fraudulent. She then put tons of anti info in the MORmoN books in the local library. good for her !!!!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 04:53PM

The mishies have a "canned sales pitch" PERIOD. Beyond that, they know nothing but they will tell you they KNOW the CULT is true until the cows come home.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 04:56PM

Exactly. It's their crutch they always fall back on when introducing them to too much logic. I find it boring and pointless to talk to them because really don't know anything.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 05:06PM

I'm going to third, fourth the directions I recvd. We were told not to allow investigators to read D&C or PoGP. If I remember correctly we told them about the "other" scriptures either right before or after baptism, but we didn't allow them to read them.

I myself and my companions had our Quads, so yes we had our D&C's and PoGP's along with our marked up Bibles and BoM's. So if an investigator would of asked me for my copy to read something from it, I couldn't of lied and would have allowed the investigator to borrow my scriptures.

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 08:05PM

Whoa! I was reading and it occurred to me that we didn't have 'Quads' in Mexico... Which makes perfect sense since we were using the good ol' Cipriano de Valera translation, which is what I'm 'whoa'ing' about! Imagine how surprised I was when that popped up in my brain, 47 years after I first got one, and 45 years since I last used one.

Isn't it still true? Don't investigators convert to please their missionaries? The missionaries are all they really know about the church!

I was especially cute and cuddly...

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 09:09PM

I feel really bad for the kids in these "gotcha" videos. It's not their fault they were born into a brainwashing cult, and most of them will probably find their way out a few years after their mission anyway.

Date: December 10, 2014 11:05PM

Like a truly wise man once said,

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back. Religion is merely a community of people who gather together on a regular basis to reassure each other that it is still okay to subscribe to the absurdities and prejudices they inherited.
As for me it is far better to see the world the way it really exists, rather than persist in delusion, no matter how comforting or reassuring that may seem at times."

I was born into the bamboozle too. 5 generations before me bought into the bamboozle because of the lie Mormons have been spreading every day for the past 181 years, ever since Oliver caught Joseph in a 'dirty, nasty, filthy affair with Fanny Alger" his 16yo housemaid, then excommunicated Oliver for witnesing what he did and refusing to characterize the affair as anything other than what it was, a "dirty, nasty, filthy affair with his 16yo housemaid."
He started a Doomsday Sex Cult to justify screwing his followers, financially, sexually, mentally and spiritually and it worked fabulously well!
It's still working.
So well, even ExMo's are feeling sorry for the world's largest standing army of 85,000 missionaries, who go around the world every day and shove their bogus, abusive, exploitative, doomsday sex cult down the world's throats.
They are the chosen representatives of the most racist, misogynist, homophobic, delusional, institution on the planet and you feel sorry for them? lol
They're adults.
They go around lying, to convince gullible people that Joseph Smith was some kind of a God whose praises we should sing, when he was no better than Warren Jeffs.
And you feel sorry for his army of 85,000 CULT brain washers?
Mormon's like Romney are proud of the fact his Doomsday Sex Cult of Joseph's Myth has been lying to everybody for 180 years. He jokes about it and incites loud laughter and light mindedness.
He laughs about a guy who convinced his followers that they should whore out their wives and teenage daughters to him, for the promise of an imaginary reward after death. He didn't promise Husbands and Fathers just a spot in Heaven, he Promised them they could become Gods I Tell you GODS!!!! The egomaniacs fell for it and were rewarded with the seconds that Joseph passed over. Men like Henry Jacobs, who had the misfortune of falling in love with the lovely Zina Huntington and she fell in love with him. She had already rejected numerous illicit propositions from Joseph Smith when she married Henry Jacobs, despite Joseph's wishes. She finally caved in to his demands when she was 7mo pregnant with Henry's child and she was married to Joseph Smith, with poor Henry's acceptance. He was made to attend the 'sealing', which, as you can imagine would have been quite the mind fnck for Henry.
And you feel sorry for his representatives who want the world to believe Joseph's Myth is a God?
Anybody who sings Praise To the Man, knowing he screwed other men's wives and teenage daughters, doesn't have my sympathy, they've earned the right to have their absurdities dragged out into the broad light of day and examined under a microscope, which is the best antiseptic, for pure bullshit like Joseph's Myth.
We ran out of time for bogus Doomsday myths on 9-11.
Time to come up with a better alternative, and anything that doesn't end in doomsday (aka, Latter Days) is a vast improvement. Clocks' tickin!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 11:53PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: MossyBucket ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 11:22PM

Mossy Bucket reprimands koriwhore for teaching of a distant threat. The spirit of the Lord envelopes him even unto lifting him into the air.

1. Koriwhore, behold. You speak as if war overseas is a headache to us in the future.

2. Knowest thou not that here, within our own habitation there dwells within the bosoms of the young men and women of many villages, such as Oakland, yea and on the Southside of Chicago, yea and also, behold they are also in the rave halls of Miami, yea and Denver, yea, and I say unto you, even in Detroit and yea, many other sweatrooms?

3. Have ye not read the lyrics of their most worshipped leaners that yell into the snake-like ornament? Hast thou not seen the tattoos that cry out for your life, yea, and for all that you guard?

4. Hast thou not been watching and listening to their DJs and their Professors, yea and even by their ministers?

5. Ye are at the very brink of genocide, yet, ye still believe that your enemy is afar, like unto the Middle East?

6. Behold, I say unto you, look and learn.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/six+feet+under/ten+deadly+plagues_20770968.html

Date: December 11, 2014 12:00AM

1. MossyBucket, You do realize we're in the middle of America's Longest War, that's gone on for 13 years, with no end in sight, right?
2. Uh, yeah. There's all kinds of powder in the kegs, all over.
3. I guard freedom to speak and hear truth and freedom FROM religion.
4. DJ's?
5. If Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking know what they're talking about we've got 5 years, before our creations take over.
6. I'm looking and learning every day.
Evolve or die.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 04:46PM

Most boys go on missions out of course - to please those they believe in. Damn "leaders"-(a)parents.

The world doesn't need missionaries - unless they come with the truth... and even if they did, the truth is not that important, cool or fashionable.

Missionaries WAKE UP one or two at a time.

LDS produced video - for who hasn't seen it before - called "Mormon Missionaries - made simple"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TbwT4j-mLdw

More accurately, the video below is what the missionaries should have to tell you on they're first visit.

"Mormon Secrets - what the missionaries don't tell"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKT4hrBTuk

Hadn't seen this one before. It is better they explain things rather than you having to ask. Who could make it that far before slamming the door? Too funny - animation.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 04:58PM

I guess this shows the greatly increased knowledge regarding Mormonism due to the internet.

I was a missionary in Texas 1960-2 and was never asked about either of these. The only things most outsiders were aware of was polygamy and the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: December 11, 2014 05:24PM

Missionaries, while viewed as adults by statute are still generally 18 and 19 year old kids from sheltered environments
out in the world for the first time.

They generally give the practiced statements they have been taught, and supplemented by whatever they pick up from companions, local members, and "faith promoting" sources.
95% of the time they probably don't have a clue what is being asked about, or focus on the "anti-mormon" buzzwords they recognize, automatically feel fear and change the subject, leave or "bear testimony."

Thinking that young full time missionaries are "in on the scam" just isn't correct. It's like thinking that gullible people who get into MLM schemes late in the game that end up costing them time and money they can ill afford are in the same league as the MLM's founders, and more senior participants who know the full story, benefit greatly and have a huge incentive to keep the caper going. The founders and the newbies are likely different in every way, whether they know it or "feel it" or not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.