Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: strangite ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 07:59AM

I'm a more than a bit confused on how to proceed. Would it be fine to just write a letter (from a legal standpoint) to just simply say that I resign, or do you have to say "yada yada yada this is why" and/or do you have to say "yada yada yada I unbaptize myself and unseal myself from my family" ???

I believe in Jesus, believe in baptism, believe in heaven, and believe I will be reunited with my family.

I appreciate all the atheist opinions, however I am not.

As Ive promised (without knowing) in the Salt Lake City Temple to either slash my throat or have my throat slashed, it is quite disturbing to know how to proceed.

Anyways, it would be great to hear from anyone with a "legal background" on how to do this. I'm not going to slash my throat, however I don't want anyone to slash my throat. This may sound stupid to some, but I get jittery when the doorbell rings.

Please, help me out, from a Christian perspective. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:46AM

Short & simple worked for me! I emailed mine in January. Good luck!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:52AM

Some like to say "effective immediately." Others give their baptismal date or say they want no contact except a letter saying the church recognizes them as a non-member. Be sure to sign the letter and tell them where to send their answer.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 09:02AM

You don't have to give reasons. Go to the exmormon.org home page and find out how to do it.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 10:22AM

Another resource for "how to resign": http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm "Leaving the Mormon Church: How To Get Out"

Short answer: letter only needs:

- Full name
- Date of Birth
- Physical address
- statement "I hereby resign my membership in the COJCLDS, effective immediately."

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 10:26AM

The only part you need to get right: Tell them you resign your membership, effective immediately. Give your full name and birthdate to positively identify yourself. And waive the 30 day waiting period. And tell them that you need and don't intend to talk to any church representatives.

I had mine notorized (to prove my identity so they'd have no need to have a local leader involved) and I sent it so I'd get a receipt as proof they received it.

I also gave them a couple of pages worth of my mind, including a request for privacy, NOT to be discussed in meetings and not to attempt to reactivate me. I was very fortunate that there were good people in leadership at the time and for the most part we haven't been bothered.

Whatever you say, I'd do it for your own therapeutic benefit and to set boundaries with them. Since you are a bit spooked by the death oaths, maybe you should consider making wise cracks about them in your letter. Humor can be very therapeutic. Ask them not to practice blood atonement on you, and inform them that you don't intend to practice it on yourself. Tell them that you've informed law enforcement authorities that if you are found with a slashed throat, disemboweled, or anything like that, they should investigate the church first.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 10:35AM

I seriously doubt that they would even read your reasons, as it would not be faith-promoting to them.

I just kept mine as a legal document.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 10:51AM

Here is a minimalist resignation letter from President Richard Nixon

http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=809

You need a bit more identifying information, because you are not as famous as Richard Nixon, and his address is in the letterhead. Other than that, one sentence gets the job done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 10:52AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 03:50PM

I like the minimalist approach.

I hereby resign my membership in TSCC effective at noon today.

Sincerely,

Henry Kissinger

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 11:04AM

It's funny how we all have our hang-ups. I never even thought of the death oaths when I resigned. Every time I think of the temple stuff, I think of people in costume dancing about throwing carrots in the air. It's all so silly and meaningless in our time. I'm not trying to make fun of your fear--we don't pick our fears. Plain old fear of God's displeasure and punishment kept me in church for years.

I wouldn't even tell them you're still Christian--it would just invite discussion. They know the drill. And you don't need your member number or your exact baptism date either. Name, ward, stake, I resign NOW. Ahhhhh, it feels fabulous.

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 02:16PM

Does anyone here really think that there's a band of Porter Rockwell wanna-bes that are out slashing throats?

If you went to the temple after 1990 it's not really an issue - you didn't agree to having your throat slashed, or a fancy disembowling, or anything else. I was 18 when I first went, and that was still part of the ceremony - I knew exactly what it meant. The post-1990 ceremony doesn't make you agree to it. So if your temple experience is recent, you'll be OK.

Regardless - church members are far too busy posting stupid crap on facebook or going to see church PR movies than they are out tracking down people that resign.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but sometimes the posts here are just as silly as say, a TBM post on the ldsliving.com website.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 03:43PM

Still might be worth announcing one's resignation to the media. Blood atonement was doctrine, and I don't believe it was ever officially rescinded. Technically, one has left a cult that teaches the slitting of throats of apostates. Probably not going to happen, but why should the cult get a free pass for that sort of doctrine? Sunlight is what will destroy the cult.

Date: December 13, 2014 10:49AM

I think most TBMs are denying that symbolic ritual ever happened. They'd never want to admit it ever happened, let alone practice it.

Date: December 12, 2014 02:21PM

Thanks to all who had anything to say.

Here is my letter:

Dear Prophet or President or Seer or Revelator Monson;

My name is ______________________
I was born on __-__-__
My address is____________________

I hereby resign my membership in your church - effective immediately. There were no Gods before Jesus, and I don't believe you will be anyones God.

I believe in Jesus, he is my God.

Have a nice day.

Truthfully yours,

. ___________________________

P.S. Please don't have me beheaded, or slash my throat, or disembowel me, or murder me in any manner.

. ________________________

Date: December 13, 2014 10:50AM

Date: December 12, 2014 03:18PM

ppss I'm not going to slash my own throat OR disembowel myself OR behead anyone OR murder anyone in any maner

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 06:43PM

A bishop will spend a couple minutes at most. He won't care about the commentaries, but rather what he has to do. He'll fill out the administrative action form.

He'll forward it to the stake president, who will sign it, and forward it Salt Lake Headquarters.

After receipt of the paperwork in Salt Lake, a low-paid or volunteer worker will access your (computer-based) member file, and click "resigned" so your record won't be downloaded to a local ward. (It doesn't go anywhere, btw, it remains there for later access if necessary.)

Sorry, but I seriously doubt anybody cares about composition. Just the administrative actions necessary. But, if it's cathartic to you, go ahead.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:35PM

My brother and I co-wrote our resignation, and we included our father's criminal behavior among our complaints. I made sure to send Pops a copy.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 08:55PM

As you are aware, this declaration of resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints resolves me of any obligation whatsoever, regarding church discipline, obligation, or association whatsoever. Any church "disfellowship," "excommunication," or other "excoriation" will be considered a slander against me, and will be persued under tort law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 08:56PM by rationalist01.

Date: December 12, 2014 09:23PM

Hey. There is no dash between Latter and day. Therefore, your comment is invalid.

Is your friend Bill Cosby and the Utah State Legislature?

I will not be mocked. Please tell the kind people of Utah to refrain, once and for evermore to quit raping children and stop having sex with dogs.

My secretary sent you the resignation.

How do you like them apples?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 09:11PM

They won't slash your throat. They hurt Ex-Mos in plenty of other non-physical ways. But NOT as much as the hurt their own members. So, just write it and mail it tomorrow morning and see how much better you feel nearly immediately.

I got a letter stating how my salvation was at stake and that I should reconsider. I called the COB and told them I had reconsidered and that I knew very well that my salvation was at stake and that that was the VERY REASON I was resigning. Then I wrote another letter to make sure that they got the point since TBMs are so dense and on that letter I wrote "FUCK OFF AND DIE," in those very words.

Does anyone here really think that there's a band of Porter Rockwell wanna-bes that are out slashing throats? - YES AS A MATTER OF FACT THERE IS - but they are NOT in the so called mainstream CULT. THey are in the FLDS of Warren Jeffs in Colorado City so not to worry about the mainstream CULT slitting your throat.

Best of Luck! You will start out 2015 as a non-Mo. HURRAY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 09:16PM by verilyverily.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.