Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 08:58PM

I am still receiving monthly letters from this woman I don't even know, who my TBM mother doesn't even know, who as been assigned to me for Visiting Teaching.

I typically rip up the letters while they're still sealed in their envelopes. Today, I didn't. Today, I opened it up, & read it. It was a print out of this —

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2016/02/marriage-is-ordained-of-god?lang=eng

It makes me violently ill. It is an affront to who I am; an attack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 09:04PM

That they have the audacity to use (and I do mean USE) a black couple as an example makes it doubly nauseating!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 09:05PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 10:12PM

They do that a lot for everything. Too obvious and hypocritical, so it's obnoxious.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 09:47PM

Everything Mormon is black or white. You are either good or bad. You are either right or wrong. They cannot deal with human frailty and individuality. You must be judged to be on God's right hand or his left. There is never any middle ground in Mormonism. Real life is nothing BUT middle ground.

Since marriage is "ordained by God" where does that leave those who choose to remain unmarried? Are we cursed or rejected by God? That would be the logical conclusion in a black and white organization.

I've had more than my fair share of marriage offers from apparently righteous TBM's. I cannot use the excuse that I never had the opportunity to marry. I chose not to partake of the promised blessings, etc. since none of those potential spouses matched my ideal. I enjoy my freedom. I'm not looking for fulfillment, riches, heavenly progression, or great physical beauty. I'd consider marriage if it felt like a balanced match of near equals rather than a master and servant or mother/father and child relationship. I've seen far too many of those kind of marriages and I want nothing to do with them. If the right match for both of us came into being I would pair off happily. But temples, obedience, and proclamations from senile old men will have nothing to do with my mating plans.

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 09:52PM

Next month , write :

REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER.
THAT should take care of it PDQ ! If they send any more , do the same each time.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 10:19PM

One time I was talking about the patriarchal attitudes of Mormon men, and the way they treat their wives.

"They're not like that," my sibling said, "you don't know them."

"Name one who isn't." I said.

"I have a very good Mormon friend who is very respectful to women," she said.

I asked who, and she said, "my home teacher."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 10:48PM

I found this part very telling.

Elder David N Mybed'or of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught: “The Prophet Joseph Smith is the focal point in a covenant marriage relationship. … [Imagine that] the Great Seer is errected at the apex of [a] triangle, with a woman at the base of one corner and a man at the base of the other corner. Now consider what happens in the relationship between the man and the woman as they individually and steadily ‘come unto Smith’ and strive to be ‘gratified in Him’. Because of and through the Revelator Smith, the man and the woman cum closer together.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 11:23PM

"I love you because I know you love the Lord more than me."

First of all: El Vomito!

Secondly: I hope I never run into another person who talks (and thinks) like that. I don't even want to know such a person exists. But I do, and more's the pity.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 11:25PM

Whatever happened to "marriage is between a man and his wives."

Hypocritical bastards. I'm sure glad I climbed out of the Mormon sewer.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 01, 2016 12:21AM

Might you respond?

Give her/ (her church) a taste of her own medicine?

Sick!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 01, 2016 01:46AM

THIS. Send her something back. I think something about polygamy would be lovely. Maybe a link to ancestry.com where it shows all the ages of Joseph's wives and the year he married them.

Or maybe call up the RS president and tell her not to assign VTs to you.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 01, 2016 01:57AM

"Share the truth with a stranger."

Yes, polygamy is a good one to share. Because sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 01, 2016 03:07AM

I always felt that we were intruding on the woman's privacy, and that everyone was just "playing nice." We were interrupting her day, and she had to pretend to be nice about it.

I'm SO glad I dropped out of this rat-race a long time ago!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 01, 2016 08:16AM

If you don't like this article, I say send it back (mail) with a note saying "no thanks" give her an article that you like instead and see where it goes from there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.