Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:24PM

A letter has been sent out to all Bishops and Branch Presidents to be read over the pulpit regarding the new dress code for Sunday Services (Sacrament Meeting). The First Presidency conducted several surveys and now realizes that unlike the 1950's, most potential converts do not own suits and ties and are unwilling to attend Sunday Services dressed in different styles from the existing members.

After much thought and prayer, members in the US and Canada are to start dressing in business casual for Sunday Services starting in June 2016 or sooner if they can afford to purchase clothing that meets or exceeds the quality and styles of the new Church standards.

The local leadership will hold combine meetings to discuss what is proper attaire for church services. Please ask your local leaders about questions you have and do not contact The General Authorites with any questions you have on this or any other matter or subject.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:29PM

Almost realistic, especially the sentence "and do not contact The General Authorites with any questions you have on this or any other matter or subject."

Happy April Fools day?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:39PM

... and I thought that Dress Code(s) were pretty much YBU territory !?

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:39PM

Members are not allowed to ask the General Authorites any question on any topic. They must ask their questions by going through the proper channels. They must ask their Bishop.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:53PM

Does this apply on apr 2 as well?

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:57PM

Brother Johnson: "Should I dress casual or fancy for sac meeting?"

Bishop Nimrod: "Well that depends, do you want casual or fancy blessings?"

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 12:17AM

I need to be careful when I read this board on April 1st. That said, the OP wasn't too far off what actually might be sent in a letter to bishops.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:41AM

The Presbyterian God doesn't seem to mind that both DH and I wear clean and relatively new jeans, along with nice shirts or blouses - he wears a tie, and I wear a linen jacket, but that's as dressy as it gets. And we fit in with the rest of the crowd. AT first, DH always wore a suit. But when he realized that he and the minister were the only men wearing suits, he went back to everyday clothing.

We are clean, we serve on committees when we can, we put a check in the collection plate - and we seem to fit right in.

Maybe the doctrine is a little bit different, but for me, it is comfortable from my childhood. And for DH, while it is different, it is different in a comfortable way. I don't think he will ever convert to Presbyterianism, but he seems comfortable with it.

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 03:14AM

I grew up in this church , & I'm gunna wear whatever I damned well want !
I haven't been to church for 6 yrs....but all this crap makes me wanna show up wearing whatever I want & march my happy ass up & share my rebellious testimony.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 07:02AM by nitrameequc.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 09:21AM

My SIL visited her devout Baptist mother who asked SIL to attend Easter service with her. SIL demured saying she didn't have anything church appropriate to wear. Just wear what you have, replied her mother. So, off they went.

A couple of biddies tisked loudly "wouldn't you think people would dress properly for church on Easter of all days?"

SIL's mother replied "wouldn't you think people would be welcoming to a stranger on Easter of all days?"

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 11:29AM

I am glad I walked away before the Zoramite rules.

I remember people coming to church in military or police uniforms. Farmers wore work clean work clothes if they were headed back to irrigate after church.

We would see cowboy boots, keds or dress shoes. Bolo ties were as common as bow ties and regular ties or even no ties.

I remember a time men wore turtlenecks and jackets and afew wore a neck chain.

Colored shirts and fugly nonmatching ties were fun too.

Beard in winter were common. Kids had long hair.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 11:48AM

I attend the SM only, and enjoy wearing the requisite camouflage: sports jacket, dark slacks, white shirt, tie, dress shoes and socks. It's hard to recognize us apostates when we blend in amongst the true believers.

We're in a poor neighborhood so we haven't yet had the chance to install a Mormon Garment Detection X-Ray Scanner at the front door. Typically the missionaries don't strip-search us to confirm the existence of garments, although I heard a rumor that this will be part of the mission starting in 2017. (I hope they let the gal missionaries do this. We had a young lady in from Colombia a couple months ago who was a hottie.) Therefore I wear a variety of underclothing beneath the camouflage (basketball shirt and limp boxers, ancient Jockey shorts, coffee-stained tank tops, briefs with questionable stains, etc.).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.