Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 09:01AM

even though he was probably a composite of different gods and people?

I mean,the evidence points in the direction of no one person who fits historically what Christians worship today. It suggests that the Jesus of traditional Christianity may be more a composite or an idea than an historical person who lived between 4 BCE and 30-some CE.

Anything wrong with worshiping that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 09:16AM

What confuses me is that Jesus never wrote anything down. He is reported to have said he was just like his father or that if you see the son you see the father? But yet I see great difference in the god of the old testament (Jehovah) vs new testament. The unchangeable God is always changing his mind?

first he says go kill your enemies, stone people who are different. Then it is love your enemies. It's just too confusing for me...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 09:35AM

God, you're making him sound like Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 12:48PM

Maybe he meant get stoned with your enemies. That's my kind of Jesus.

Posted by: cthlos ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 05:51PM

I have to disagree. Old Testament God is regularly changing his mind. In Exodus 32, for instance, Moses talks God out of destroying the entire Israelite nation even though they really had it coming. And after the great flood in Genesis, God regets the whole thing. In fact, if you think about it, why would anyone who didn't belive that God's mind could be changed bother to pray at all? If God can't change his mind, he's just going to do what he's going to do, so why waste energy praying for anything?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 05:53PM by cthlos.

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 10:30AM

Technically, not if you are Mormon where God and Jesus are seperate beings. They claim to worship only Heavenly Father, although they DO worship Jesus during the sacrament. They should really just canx Christmas since that too is worshiping another God. I wish they would stop pretending to be Christians. Wait..maybe that is why they don't have Christmas services.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 10:34AM

Whatever you want to do is "Okay" as long as it doesn't harm others.

Me, I find the idea of "worship" ridiculous. No actual "god" would demand ego-boosting "worship" of any followers, it wouldn't want or need it. Yet nearly all "gods" humans dream up have that very human ego thing that demands worship and supplication. How about that.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 02:27PM

The idea of the original Jesus taught by Paul might have been completely metaphysical anyway. So, true worship then wouldn't require belief in a historical Jesus.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 03:23PM

Posted by: cthlos ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 05:52PM

I second that.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 02:59PM

No it is not ok.
Worshiping anyone or anything, particularly unconditionaly is not ok.
Although you have got to admire anyone who can con people into handing over 10% of their income, their wife and teenage daughter. Respect.
I assume that's why mormons admire Jo or am I missing the point.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 03:18PM

Not even Elvis?

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 03:25PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 03:28PM

That's your choice. You decide where you want to place your religious beliefs.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 04:14PM

I suspect that your question has something to do with Christmas being upon us. Your question makes me very sad. I'm an atheist and I don't worship anyone or anything, but I am in awe of many, many things. It is okay for you to worship or choose not to worship as long as you afford others the same right. It is the fact that you are asking permission, that makes me sad. You can worship if you want today and always, or change your mind tomorrow. You don't need permission.

I have a picture of Santa Claus painted by Greg Olson. In the picture, Santa is sitting by a nativity and he is holding the baby Jesus. I have it hanging above my own nativity. My nativity was a gift from one of my daughters at a time when we were all believers and it is beautiful. It has a different meaning for me now than it had then, but it still speaks to me. I call the whole tableau of picture and nativity my myth embracing a myth. I like the irony. I love all of the traditions and myths surrounding this time of year.That is my view on the season, I hope that you form your own and that you have a wonderful season.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 05:18PM

A bit O/T but related comment. When I was at BYU back in the late 70's early 80's there was this whole "develop a personal relationship with Christ" movement that I believe was started by Professor Pace, a religion professor. Well, the 'brethren' descended and took such faculty to task and a big deal was made about students praying to Christ. So much worry about keeping folks in line.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:19PM

Actually, no. Jesus doesn't want people to worship him.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:28PM

If you are not the hero in your life story... Change your story. Silly rabbit myths are for kids.

HH =)

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:32PM

Why not take what you like and leave the rest with out dogmatic worship?

BTW, I would never worship anyone or composite that said
Matthew 10
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household."

Is that what you want to worship?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:39PM

You are an adult right? Worship who or what you want... you don't need anyone's approval.

Posted by: objectivetruth ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 10:45PM

I don't know that The God of the Old testament, did change his mind.. Jeremiah 8:8 says “How can you say, ‘We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us’? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie.
It's very likely that Jewish Scribes through the years Added & Edited stories in the Bible.

When you look at the Universe & Creation, it does not contradict itself.. Example the Sun ALWAYS rises in the same way at the same time. The creator or a Perfect Universe, would not create an imperfect book, which contradicts it self. This isn't to say that the whole bible is Corrupt,one just has to decipher which portions correspond with Logic,Love,Justice,Wisdom and Righteousness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 10:45PM by objectivetruth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.