Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:03AM

I have had pain in my knees for quite a long time. I sustained a knee injury about 11 years ago. At that time, they said it had nerve damage and that there was nothing much they could do. I was numb for over a year and then started to hurt and has gotten worse.

The other knee has been in excruciating pain for several weeks. I finally found a doctor to treat it. I have osteoarthritis.

I know this means pain for the rest of my life. I will be able to get new knees in surgery eventually, but that is also painful. I'm just upset with this diagnosis.

I know there are many people way worse off than I am and yes I am thinking of them too. I just wish there wasn't pain in world. Fantasy thinking I know. I just needed to vent. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:06AM

Screw the "people worse off than you" bit. You hurt, your pain is relevant.

I am sorry you are in pain. I know the nerve damage pain and it isn't pleasant.

Vent away.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:45AM

Hi Verilyverily, I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Getting older sucks and it ain't for wimps! Please vent away, you've got friends here who can empathize and hopefully cheer you on. My hearing is going and sometimes I just want to scream, stop the noise. I hope health and healing can't me your way. Boner.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:06AM

Yeah, I have it, too. So did my mother and aunts.

Do not apologize for feeling sorry for yourself. Beating yourself up makes things worse. This is learned behavior from Mormonism. Comparing yourself to others is also detrimental. Mormons are constantly reminded of the suffering and deaths of the pioneers, or when JS had surgery without an anesthetic, and similar Mormon stories that used to put me right over the edge.

Be very, very kind to yourself. Pamper yourself. Ice your knees after walking, get a heating pad, do all the therapy exercises that your doctor recommends. If he hasn't given you any therapy, find a physiotherapist. Sometimes, crying actually helps.

Looking into the future, I thought I would be unable to walk, and unable to work, by the age I am now, but I have some illustrated knee exercises and stretches, that I do every day, and yesterday, after work (sit-down job) I played soccer with my toddler grandchildren, and later walked the entire Hogle Zoo to see "Zoo lights." with them. It hurt a bit, and I had to sit down a couple of times, but my legs are actually getting stronger, and the muscles that support the knees. Therapy can delay the outcome.

Lose a little bit of weight. For every pound of weight you lose, 8 pounds less pressure is put upon the knee, when you walk. Ten pounds of weight = 80 pounds of pressure. That has to make a difference, right?

It is a punch in the gut, to hear a diagnosis like you just got. Sometimes it cheers you up to take action. Doctors can sometimes be quite negative.

There was a study about people who were told that they would never walk again. They became depressed at the diagnosis, of course, but a year or two later, their self-reported happiness level was back up to what it was before their mishaps. They had mourned the loss of their legs, like a death, and had adapted to it. People bounce back. I'm happier than I've ever been in my life.

My mother didn't have knee surgery, and she drove a car, travelled, cooked meals for her grandchildren, read and sang with them, knitted sweaters, blankets, and scarves for us, tended a garden, made us laugh, read books, had good conversations, and fought the good fight until she was 95. My aunt lived to be 98, and was quite a socialite. Both these women were great examples to me and my children, and they gave us very wise advice, along the way. They lived very valuable lives.

Yes, there was pain for my aunts, and for you, and me. I'm so sorry! I like to overbalance the scales with happiness--to balance out the pain.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 11:39AM

Yeah that is certainly something of mormonism, never feel sorry for yourself because someone is always worse. I think that is why at the end of the day mormonism doesn't create charitable people. It's hard to feel compassion for someone when the thought is "there is always someone worse off".

Hoping you receive some relief soon. Pain, especially chronic pain sucks.

Posted by: saanhetna ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:15AM

I know we aren't supposed to post anything medical, but I went through something similar and I had real success with an alternative treatment that a conventional doctor used. You could ask your doc about it. My email is above.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:15AM

That's doesn't make your problem any less severe.

It's hard to deal with a difficult diagnosis. I hope you have a wonderful skilled rhumatologist who is supportive and able to help you as much as possible. So sorry you're in pain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 08:48AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:54AM

From a fellow sufferer of chronic pain: I'm sorry. It does suck, no matter what kind of pain it is.

May I give some advice that has so far kept me in good stead? If you don't want to hear it, you can skip the next part.

After you have gotten over the shock, decide how much you are going to allow this shit to take over your life. When I got my wheelchair, I decided. It may have some control over my physical abilities, but by god, it wasn't going to have control over my brain and emotions. I refuse to allow it to ruin my life. Sure, some days I need to vent, and I do. That's healthy. But I won't allow it to make me into a bitter old woman. Don't let it control you.

Good luck!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 10:49AM

That sucks, man. Are you in a state that allows for medicinal cannabis?

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:45PM

+1

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 11:12AM

Several years ago I found out one of my joints was halfway gone. It was like a punch in the gut. After he gave me the diganosis, I remember going in the bathroom at the doctor's office and just crying. I was broken, and they couldn't really fix it. I was completely blindsided. It wasn't life-threatening, but it was still devastating, at the time.

Physical therapy did help, as well as an orthotic device I still wear almost every day. I gotta say, the doctor who diagnosed me gave me the worst-case scenario, in which it would have continued to deteriorate, and would have required a $40k surgery that might have left me without sensation in a crucial area. I think doctors like to tell you the worst as a CYA measure, and I think he wanted to get me to comply with treatment and PT.

Now . . . almost 9 years later . . . I'm okay. I do have some joint and muscle pain related to it. I'm careful with that joint, but I'm able to function. And if it does get to the point that I need surgery, maybe they'll have something better or cheaper available.

Maybe at some point, knee replacement might be an option for you. In the mean time, do what your doc says. And you might try turmeric supplement. Research has shown it to be as effective of an anti-inflammatory as ibuprofen for joint pain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19678780

and in laymen terms:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/the-doctors-remedy-turmeric-for-joint-pain/

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:30PM

I'm so sorry. www.arthritistoday.org has some great information on supplements and research. One thing they recommend is Frankinsense (yes the Christmas stuff) here's the excerp:

[Frankincense, Boswellia, Boswellin, Salai Guggal] Boswellia serrata

Origin: Gum resin from the bark of the Boswellia tree found in India.

Claims: Reduces inflammation and treats rheumatoid arthritis (RA), osteoarthritis (OA) and bursitis symptoms. It may also be used to treat symptoms of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.

What we know: Boswellic acids – the active components – may have strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. They may also help prevent cartilage loss and inhibit the autoimmune process, making Indian frankincense/boswellia a potential therapy for RA in addition to OA.

Studies: In a 2004 study, Indian frankincense/boswellia was tested as a treatment for knee OA. Researchers recruited 30 people with knee OA and gave half the group a daily supplement containing 333 mg of Indian frankincense/boswellia; others got placebo. People who took Indian frankincense/boswellia reported less knee pain, better mobility and an ability to walk longer distances than those taking placebo.

A 2008 study in India, where Indian frankincense/boswellia is a traditional remedy, found that a supplement called 5-Loxin significantly improved OA pain and function within seven days and slowed cartilage damage after 3 months.

A 2008 British review found Indian frankincense/boswellia safe and effective for both OA and RA, though results of RA trials have been mixed.

Dosage: Capsule or tablet; typically 300 mg to 400 mg three times per day. Look for products with 60-percent boswellic acids, the active ingredient.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 11:00AM

Wow! Thank you for the tips and link.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 05:54PM

Hello VV. I am really sorry mate, I know how it hurts to have the pain and then look to an uncertain future.

I too have severe arthritis. I always say it is the one pain that defeats me. I got through 6 labours with the odd yell, but no real complaints. I suffer from migraine headaches, which I treat and head for bed with. But arthritis pain is with you all the time, and it is DEFEATING. It is the only pain that I simply sit a cry with.

Having said that I am 100% better off that I thought I would be when I was diagnosed nearly 40 years ago. YOu would not know to look at me that I have it. I do have pain and I do still work (admittedly part time) but I function very well for someone who has had arthritis for so long. The answer for me? Medication. Properly presribed, fully supervised and sensibly taken medication. I tell people I rattle when I walk because of the amount I take. BUT I WALK!!!!!

I also take some supplements, particularly fish oil in large amounts, as per the advice of my doctor and LOTS of long talks to her about any treatment I want to try. I feel very much in control of my illness and able to do a lot of what I want to do. Now as I am aging it is becoming more difficult, but everyone ages, that is what I tell myself anyway!

I too had to have a period of grieving. It is rough, and I know how you feel. And yes this world would be a MUCH better place without pain. Allow yourself to think those thoughts, they are natural. Once I had grieved enough (and occasionally go back into that) I was able to push on. Fortunately the one medication to which I respond well had just been released and I was SO grateful to have the long periods of releif I had, particularly through the time of raising my children, which was of course, very labour intensive.

PLease know that there are many of us who understand and sympathise. Take 100% good care of yourself and learn all you can from your doctors and any other research. I am thinking of you!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 05:58PM

I'm sorry that you are in pain. My own knees are not the best, although they've been stable for a long time now. When they are bad, I either wear a knee brace or wrap them in elastic bandages. I find that avoiding carrying heavy things up and down stairs helps.

I agree with Forestpal -- lose as much weight as you are able. Also look to strengthening every other part of your leg. Failure down below on a leg often leads to failure above (i.e. hip issues.) So do strengthening exercises for all parts of your lower body as much as you are able to.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 05:58PM

Allow me to sympathize. I have it in my neck. Summer holds less pain than winter. Exercise does keep it "better". Pat also helps. I learned a lot there. I am choosing to manage pain, since the injection option scares the crap out of me.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:10PM

Pain is an evil, sadistic devil. Do what you need to ease your pain. Chronic pain can change your personality. If you need mental health help (therapy and/or medication) get it.

Swimming in warm water feels good and gets you moving.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:27PM

I was involved in an auto accident, as passenger, when I was 12, on my way to priesthood meeting (no fucking protection from having two elders in the car, apparently) that wrecked my left knee. So it hurt for the next 52 years and the right one got worn out compensating for the left one.
That being said, I got the left one replaced in April of '13 and the right one done in November of '13. My surgeon is excellent and my new knees are fabulous, and worth every bit of pain and discomfort after the surgeries. I would not hesitate to have either one re-done, should that ever be required.
Pain is a nasty mistress, and I believe, left untreated, will shorten your life or lead to severe depression, which I experienced. Get them fixed if you can. And if your doctor says you're too young, tell him/her they're clueless and find another doctor. Good luck!

Ron Burr

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 10:49PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:15AM

The surgeon said he generally discouraged people getting knee replacements before the age of 60. But when he saw the x-rays of my knees (I was a very rowdy child and had injured my knees many times) he said, "OMG! These are horrible! I'm surprised you can even WALK!"

I had them replaced at the same time. The first couple of weeks post-op were pretty rough, but I had great support from my family. After the post-op pain diminished and I regained strength with rehab, I have put THOUSANDS of miles on my new knees - hiking, backpacking, traveling (including MILES of metro stairs!) roller and ice skating, you name it. All without a twinge of pain.

It is SO worth it. Get it done as soon as you can. And don't let people tell you it is crazy to get them done at the same time. It may be crazy, but it beats having the dread of the second one hanging over you. GO FOR IT!

The only time I regretted it was the night after the surgery. This has practically become a ritual with me. I sit alone in the hospital bed after the surgery, realizing how limited I am, and start crying, thinking, OMG, what have I DONE to myself?

I have come to recognize this for the ritual that it is. I'm mourning the mobility and lack of pain that I had just yesterday. And it will be a while before I have them again. And yes, it can be discouraging.

But the freedom of new knees that don't hurt - it will absolutely blow you away!!! I've talked to LOTS of people who have had knee replacements, and they all (without exception) had only one regret: out of fear, they put it off for too long.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 02:49AM

Thanks for the many helpful responses. I am slowly getting over the shock of this diagnosis. I am trying to accept it since I have no other choice. I will be looking into this various advice. Thanks again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.