Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:21AM

It's just been announced that a new cemetery has been located in Egypt containing as many as 1 million mummies.

Here's the story. Note the photograph slates designating, "BYU Egypt."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2877855/Cemetery-one-MILLION-mummies-unearthed-Egypt-1-500-year-old-desert-necropolis-largest-found.html

Kerry Muhlestein is a BYU grad and director of the BYU Egypt Excavation Project. Here's his online bio:
http://religion.byu.edu/kerry_muhlestein

Here's a sample of his defense of the BoA:

"research on the Book of Abraham is a work in progress, so is Egyptology as a whole. Our history as a discipline is full of gaffes, mistakes, stumbles, and wonderful discoveries and corrections. Many of these corrections have been immensely helpful in my efforts to understand the Book of Abraham. . . .

I was once dissatisfied with the question of human sacrifice as depicted in Facsimile 1, and no answer appeared to be forthcoming. But we have learned more, and now I am satisfied. I once was dissatisfied with explanations of the Kirtland Egyptian Papers, but as we have done further research I have become satisfied (though I still have questions as to what they really represent). Claims of textual anachronisms once gave me pause, but research has answered each of these questions. How grateful I am that I did not abandon my faith over these questions, for they have now been answered so well. As we wrestle with these issues, undoubtedly both critics and defenders will make missteps along the way. Most likely there will be questions for which we will not find answers in my lifetime. Perhaps we will in the next. We have eventually found answers to past questions, so I research furiously but wait patiently for answers to current ones."

http://rsc.byu.edu/archived/volume-11-number-1-2010/egyptian-papyri-and-book-abraham-some-questions-and-answers

We can only hope that his gaffes, mistakes and stumbles are limited as he is entrusted with these amazing finds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:34AM

I agree! This guy has no business messing around with anything valuable. He's in way over his head. He's probably an important Mormon's relative. BYU probably purchased the land in Egypt. The Mormons have a habit of buying real estate.

We DO have a lot of answers, and the right question is, "What is an illustrated Egyptian funerary script?"

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:20AM

Kerry Muhlestein:

"How grateful I am that I did not abandon my faith over these questions, for they have now been answered so well."

Translated:

"I'm really sorry I pissed off the brethren with my past remarks, but I don't want to lose my BYU professorship so I'll say whatever they want to save my sorry ass".

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 06:09PM

When will he publish all these wonderful answers and resolutions to the BoA problems?

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 01:51PM

I just read the story linked below and maybe now he'll be too busy doing real work to bother with the fantasy that is defending the BoM. With BYU having been involved with this "dig" for 30 years and with a back log of papers to be presented, he's actually working in his field! Please tell me if you felt any "mormony" overtones reading his descriptions...

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/million-mummy-cemetery-unearthed-in-egypt

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:11PM

It would not surprise me if the whole purpose of this excavation was so Muhlestein could secretly plant some forged papyri containing the Book of Abraham (translated into egyptian hieroglyphics of course) so he can say "Look what I found!!"

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:54PM

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 01:03AM

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:48PM

I guessing that among the million mummies they still won't find any reference to KOLOB!

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:49PM

...hopefully, someone can notify the Smithsonian, and QUICK!!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 06:26PM

Hopefully the Egyptian authorities will throw him out of the country before he causes any damage to some artefacts.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 06:32PM

Will he use his legitimate archeological work to validate his "research" on the BoA?

Or will his partisan positions on the BoA compromise his findings in Egypt? Other archeologists who disagree with his findings could then just dismiss him outright.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:15PM

This Kerry Muhlestein may have inherited instincts from Joe Smith's old man.

Joe Senior once had a go at digging up the corpse of his son Alvin. The crazy geezer denied the deed in a letter to a Palmyra paper. Evidence shows the exhumation went off as planned.

Muhlestein and his smiling co-ed assistants down there in Egypt continue the tradition by yanking peacefully resting people out of their graves.

Muhlestein deserves a Millstone hung around his neck and swift burial at sea for offending these defenseless little ones.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:39PM

This post has been updated. Muhlestein appears to have fabricated the "Million Mummy" claim, and BYU has had their permit revoked by Egypt.

Here's the updated topic: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1464231

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.