Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 09:14PM

Even before I saw the sign, I knew it was LDS. It really wasn't that ugly but it had the look. I stopped to examine my reaction and think about what element of the architecture bugged me. No "gun turret windows," but just a general lack of style. The spike on top of the church looked like an antennae. I wondered what they use it for.

As I was standing there, I was suddenly surrounded by missionaries who blocked my path. I just said no, no, no until they let me by. I got in "have a nice day" before they could.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80dbf0a2bdcf16c3:0x1d84cfb0bfccb26e!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://plus.google.com/110989002328059937940/photos?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:kp:placepageimage%26socpid%3D1!5slds+poway+ca+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=UtqUVIffNMmjNvDhgMAK&ved=0CAUQoio

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 09:43PM

Mormon churches lack style. At least they aren't evangelical conversions from double wides and trailers.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 11:33PM

You would think the chapel would go with the terrain and have some character at least. Pretty lame. Poway has some very beautiful terrain....

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:26AM

That "have a nice day" comment comes out sarcastic more than sincere most of the time. Like they don't really want you to have a nice day without them but that what they are really thinking is "good luck in hell, loser." Really irritating but since it's the tone of the voice more than the content of the message, I'm not sure what else they could say that would be better.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:33PM

That's the very chapel I grew up in the church in.
First the Poway ward, then the Poway 2nd ward.
Then I left for a mission.

You should have seen it before they added the not quite full sized basketball court -- it was tinier, but just as uninspiring :)

Date: December 20, 2014 02:17PM

How fun to think you spent time there. It is beautiful, esp. after the recent rains. That neighborhood has a very high median income.

I was walking off anesthesia from a medical procedure so I could drive home. Walked up to Sprouts and got some lunch.

I was standing there looking at the church for a long time. Maybe they thought "she likes us." I was about a block up the street when the missionaries ran up behind me and surrounded me. It was slightly scary. I was too plastered to engage them in witty conversation.

Date: December 20, 2014 02:50PM

The hospital next door is relatively new -- that was all open field when I was attending that ward. Hope your medical procedure went well!

I was ordained a deacon, teacher, priest, and elder there. Was the MIA youth leader. Filmed a stop-motion animation "butt race" with my friends in and around it in '76, still have that film! Seeing your post brought back a lot of memories.

I'm up the road (in Valley Center) now. If you're local and would like to meet for coffee sometime, shoot me a note!

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 07:57PM

...Alba Honda/Bultaco............the best thing about Poway.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 05:42PM

Former Bultaco owner here (Matador, Pursang) - fantastic machines.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 06:07PM

...plus, the AJS 370 Stormer right next to it. A real ass breaker! Cranky Villiers/Greeves motors..........

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 12:30AM

"out in the sticks." Mainly rural.

I grew up in El Cajon. (Which a lot of people farther west considered "the sticks" as well.)

When I go back to visit, these days, I get lost. Things have changed SO MUCH. On our last visit, I couldn't even find my old high school without asking for directions.

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 10:55PM

I grew up in El Cajon too. I was in El Cajon II ward in the 1970's.

Posted by: Resmar ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 08:45PM

In the late 2000s, I served part of my mission in the Avocado Ward (merged out of the old El Cajon 3rd and 6th Wards) which met in the stake center on Orange Ave. It was depressing to serve in a place where the church has shrunk so much.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 12:52AM

How inappropriate that they ran up to you and surrounded you. You would think that they'd know better. And I agree with you, that particular building does have "the look."

Date: December 20, 2014 02:28PM

I was standing there about a block up the street examining a synagogue. My posts don't match very well.

Posted by: laperla ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:21PM

I could go as far as Escondido on a weekend... I need to run back up to Poway in the next few days. I do have some Valley Center connections.

Can we email each other thru exmormon.org? Hate to put my email online.

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:00PM

My first ward on their mission was Poway 2nd. I was also in Escondido and Valley Center. Brought back old feelings!

Date: December 21, 2014 01:15PM

rgrraymond Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My first ward on their mission was Poway 2nd.
> I was also in Escondido and Valley Center.
> Brought back old feelings!

When were you there?
I was in Poway 1970-1979...

Date: December 22, 2014 01:59AM

I was there in 1976 and 77. Frank Bradshaw and Hartmen Rector JR were my MPs.

Date: December 24, 2014 06:05PM

rgrraymond Wrote:
> I was there in 1976 and 77. Frank Bradshaw and
> Hartmen Rector JR were my MPs.

Do you remember bishop Lemmon or Millar (Poway 2nd)?
Or perhaps the Priest Quorum Leader, a handsome 16-year old boy (that was me!)? :)

Date: December 21, 2014 01:14PM

laperla -- I'll send my e-mail to Susie Q, and ask her to send it to you. That way it's not public :) Reply if you'd like. I've yet to meet up with anyone from the board, might be fun!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 09:42AM

You'll never get anywhere using SusieQ, try SusanI/S at exmolight@gmail.com, that's the Susan running the place, not Q!

Date: December 24, 2014 07:39PM

WinksWinks Wrote:
> You'll never get anywhere using SusieQ, try
> SusanI/S at exmolight@gmail.com, that's the Susan
> running the place, not Q!

Thanks, that's what I did :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 07:55PM

WHOA... bucko... I have zero, nada , zilch to do with the board.

Posted by: laperla ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 01:31PM

Date: December 22, 2014 02:30AM

That is the same chaple I went too. I lived in the Carriage rd apartments on Carraiage Rd. Millar was the Bishop!

Date: December 24, 2014 06:06PM

rgrraymond Wrote:
> That is the same chaple I went too. I lived in
> the Carriage rd apartments on Carraiage Rd.
> Millar was the Bishop!

I still see his son Mark now and then :)

We must know each other. Paul L. ring a bell?

Posted by: roomwithaview ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 08:56PM

My friend's family went there before moving about 10 miles south of that area.

Date: December 23, 2014 12:05AM

The immediately previous time I was in Poway, I was gazing out the window in a medical equipment firm, in a very unfocused way, while waiting for some reports.

I started to realize there were an awful lot of men in black suits mulling about in front of the building next door. Then many, many black cars pulled up and the FBI raided Brent Wilkes' Poway office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_R._Wilkes

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.