Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:04AM

Many states currently allow open carry of firearms. It looks like Texas may soon allow people to open carry firearms. If your state allows you to wear a firearm, would you wear one to church?

On the TV show Vikings, the Vikings are raiding a village and all the people are at church and all their swords are lined up outside of the church making for a very easy victory.

I went to a Mormon church in eastern Arizona and there was this guy wearing a gun on his hip. It seemed kinda weird to see a pistol on a man wearing a suit and no badge.

Will camo suits and ties be far behind?

What are your thoughts on guns and camo suits at church?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 01:05AM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:20AM

No, but I've been accused of hiding one in my jeans! Boner.

Posted by: travis ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:24AM

I did when I was a cop. I'd sit in the back of the chapel in case I got a call. No big deal.

Our society makes too big of a deal over guns. They're a tool. If they're not needed they cause no harm hanging on someone's belt.

I still carry mine everyday with a permit of course. Again, I've been trained in the proper use of a firearm.

It's just a gun.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:24AM

As a pro-gun person, it always disturbed me that the D&C said that the constitution was inspired of God, but when I lived in BYU housing, honor code and all the buildings I lived in said I couldn't own a firearm. Me and my buddies did anyway.

I always thought it was a good idea. If some crazy dude came into sacrament meeting and started shooting everyone up. At least someone would have a gun to fight back. In our CWP classes we learned that it was against the law to carry in the LDS church. Made me question the church even more.

Date: December 20, 2014 01:31AM

Uber-Mormons and guns, now there's a winning combination!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:43AM

Surely the crazies will disarm as soon as they see the "gun-free zone" sign.

Instead, they're shooting up the schools and military bases. Air Force base near here where I worked got shot up 20 years ago. Amazing that guns are restricted on a military base.

Maybe churches will be the next target. Hundreds of defenseless people.

I tell people they should put a sign in their yard proclaiming it gun free. They don't seem to have the guts. For some reason they want the criminals to worry they might have a gun, while leaving the kids and teachers sitting ducks.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:00AM

It is definitely what Jesus would do.

When enough people die we might get some serious gun laws. I fear the number of people who will have to die will be in the millions per year.

When the congregation is all packing heat then the sermon should be on "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" then everybody can blow everybody else away in church. Our society is just fucked enough to take this seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 02:23AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:43PM

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:39AM

3 or 4 non law inforcement regularly pack in our local ward. Folks in this area don't think it's unusual or a problem. It would be the wrong ward for a bad guy to show up in.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:51AM

WWJC, I wonder.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 04:58AM

cupcakelicker (sober) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WWJC, I wonder.

I think it might be more like What Caliber would Jesus Carry?

Date: December 20, 2014 12:44PM

A .666 special!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 12:44PM by byuboner.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:53PM

I recall one time in San Antonio in 1961 when on my mission, an off-duty cop left his gun in its holster on the top of the coat rack where it was easily accessible.

The members were shocked and had the bishop request him to recover his weapon and not leave it unattended. I thought the cop was really a shithead not to have realized this on his own.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:56PM

I've heard that ladies usually carry their guns in their purse or on their thigh.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:01PM

There was a time, for a period of 4 years, when due to my then occupation I went nowhere including church and bed unarmed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:05PM

If I lived in an open or concealed carry state (or country....we don't carry handguns in Canada)...probably. I am a firearms enthusiast.

Ron Burr

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:06PM

I'd never wear a gun anywhere.

And I don't go to church :)

The answer to a gun problem isn't more guns -- it's less of them.

Posted by: Gun Solution ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:35PM

So the "real" solution to gun rights/control issue is banning churches?! Hmmm.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:46PM

I've always been perplexed by people who want the open-carry. To me it seems like the steroid users who goes around flexing all the time. 'look at me, look at me'
BUT, I always have the ability to defend myself with deadly force and believe in the 2nd amendment.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 02:26PM

downsouth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BUT, I always have the ability to defend myself
> with deadly force and believe in the 2nd
> amendment.

So do I. I have no problem with the public being armed as part of a well-regulated militia. :)
It's outside of that where I have issues.

Posted by: exmo_wa ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 01:53PM

Honest question to those who do not have a professional reason to carry in public, such as law enforcement: how are others supposed to know that you are mentally stable and competent to carry a gun? You may know you're a "good guy" but how can anyone else be sure?

Posted by: PaintingintheWIN ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:21PM

I expect district attorneys to be armed or protected by armed officers as well, where ever they go. I think these peoples civil duties impact their personal time, and it is both my understanding & expectation police remain armed.

I recall visiting my father as an adult, and seeing My fathers pistol when my dad sat up. my father slept with a weapon under his right arm, between the elbow and wrist. My father moved his pistol under his pillow beneath his left shoulder whenever my dad slept on his side. My father had weapons all of my life, and his boss came and asked for them at his funeral. of course, I never touched one it was on his body like a sock or an extension of his flesh. He always slept facing a window rotated toward exterior doors.
Born in the 1920s, my fathe loved wheels, women, guns & gambling and he only answered to his boss. I will never forget the night my mother died; my father had checked himself into the hospital so he would have his own bed on the same floor. A nurse assistant tried to take his wheelchair, his hand shot out gripping & he said take my wheels and threatened her life. I have greatest respect for Veterans Administration Hospitals when personnel addressed him as "soldier" then gave a command, civilian nurses were lost, just lost.

Raised near guns, I expect professionals to be armed based on their profession at all times/ it is their job to be hypervigilant , not mine. I was neither trained nor choosen for a warrior profession nor capacity. Its not my role, not my profession- that role and profession absolutely lives to protect others. I respect and expect professional protection from society's warriors at all times, in all places.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:31PM

If I ever had, there'd be some bodies, I tell you what.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:41PM

In 2004 the LDS Church became a gun free zone.

By Dan Harrie, Kirsten Stewart and Peggy Fletcher Stack
The Salt Lake Tribune

The LDS Church said Friday it will impose a gun ban in its hundreds of houses of worship throughout Utah, invoking provisions of a state law that allow for criminal prosecution of violators.

"Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world," President Gordon B. Hinckley and his two counselors said in a statement. "The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law."

The statement was a repeat of a position church leaders staked out eight years ago. The difference now is they will take steps to back up the policy with the force of state law.

To do so, the church will provide notice in newspapers and register its ban with the state Bureau of Criminal Identification. The latter requirement is a controversial one, opposed by other religious leaders in Utah as a violation of the 1st Amendment separation of church and state.

In a letter to local leaders throughout the state dated Jan. 16, the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said anyone carrying a weapon into a church should be "politely asked to take their firearms to another safe location." But if the person refuses to comply or repeatedly ignores such a warning, he or she "should be referred to local law enforcement officers for possible criminal prosecution."

Church spokesman Dale Bills would not comment beyond the prepared statement

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:13PM

I know this is true in Utah. Religious organizations can either file with the state or announce it from the pulpit. If you don't leave when asked, it's a misdemeanor. What I am curious about is if that same letter has any force outside of Utah and that would depend on state laws.

I have no problems with people carrying and I've heard both sides of the argument. So far no one has an absolute great case for either way in my opinion.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 03:52PM

A teacher relative of mine wore a gun to her elementary school. It went off in the bathroom, destroyed a toilet ,sent her to the hospital, and got her charged with a misdemeanor. She also lost her job. She is lucky she.didnt kill someone. This is insanity and even though I havent seen this woman since she was a little girl, I am embarrassed to be related to her.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 05:06PM

70's, Seattle First: saw a taxi driver with one partially in his pocket, I asked the Bp to ask him to leave it outside, which he did.

IIRC, the ward-house I attended in Ohio had a sticker on the door glass, Cops Only could carry inside.

In 2012, / Bremerton, WA, an elementary kid had one in his back-pack that discharged, sending a class-mate to hospital;

luckily she survived, but shows it's not always a deranged or criminal who causes gun harm. I don't think the boy was prosecuted!

I feel I like Canada's approach to this, their frontier was just as rugged/lawless as the U.S. west was, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 05:08PM by GNPE.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:16PM

My relative isn't a deranged criminal either,just an incompetent person who is lucky she isnt facing more serious charges such as manslaughter or negligent homicide.I am sure her intentions were good too,but her gun still went off in a public.school

Posted by: Spencer W. "Yoda" Kimball ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 06:25PM

I never carried a gun but I was never without my light saber.

Remember: Don't kill the little birds.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:27PM

The question is exmo_wa, how do we know law enforcement and others who carry guns are mentally stable to carry guns as well?

Posted by: Left Field ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:45PM

If you see me at church, you can be assured that I'm wearing a gun...to my head.

It's the only way you could get me to go back.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 07:56PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:29PM

I think I should carry a tranquilizer dart pistol to Fat meeting so I could nail some of those long winded insane bastards.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.