Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:10PM

I was listening to a radio show on investments to. They were talking about giving to charities and said you need to follow these guidelines.
1. Don't give to a charity that does not spend less than 75 cents on the dollar going to the actual charity. If it spend less that than, it is lining the pockets of fund raisers, etc.
Does the LDS Church give 75 cents on every dollar to it's mission goals? How do we know?

2. Don't give to a charity unless you see it financial statements and budgets. I guess the LDS Church does that at General Conference right? Wrong according to these accounts. You must be able to view their statements and budgets in order to make a correct decision if your money is going to where to should go. They said too many charities are ripping people off.

3. A charity should be listed on a website that lists charities that are real charities. I was driving and di not get the name of the site.

comments

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tig ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:31PM

Th LDS church is a charity the same way my retirement fund is a charity. For details on how to contribute, pm me.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:40PM

You need to create a user name and password but it is free.

Haven't been on for awhile (and of course can't remember my password) but I know they have the Forms 5500 (tax returns) for the charities.

You want to look at "program services" dollars vs. the admin dollars. Many times you can see how much the executives are getting paid.

Churches don't have to file tax returns.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:11PM

Thanks

I still do not think the LDS Church is a Charity.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:37PM

Several years ago, I learned that Elizabeth Dole, wife of Senator Robert Dole, was being paid more that $300,000 a year to be president of the American Red Cross. I wondered what Liddy could possibly be doing that would be worth that much money? I concluded not much and haven't given a dime to Red Cross since.

I mainly donate to the Shriner's Hospitals For Children which offers free care to minors for specific medical conditions without consideration of the ability to pay or connection (if any) to freemasonry. I am a Shriner ("noble") and support this worthy cause. My daughter has a close friend born with Spina Bifida who was treated throughout her minor years at the San Francisco Shriner's Hospital which has since been relocated to Sacramento.

I'm sure there are many other charities that are also doing commendable work and put donations to good use. I would recommend learning all you can about any prospective charity and tour their facilities to see first hand what they are actually doing before donating.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:10PM

We support our provincial heart & stroke foundation as they fund stroke research at Alberta Universities and we support agencies who provide services to persons with developmental disabilities. Period.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.