Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 08:02AM

http://instinctmagazine.com/post/mormon%C2%A0man-confesses-outing-gay-friend-who-committed-suicide-now-raising-gay-son

I came across this article. On the surface, it seems like a good story of a person changing for the better. So why do I find it disturbing?

Comments like "To this day, I don’t really know why he killed himself" and "I still have my standards" just really rub me the wrong way. Am I reading too much into this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:46AM

He doesn't know WHY he killed himself?!?!?!?

Posted by: Anon1993 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:26AM

Cognitive dissonance...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:37AM

The man also has a gay son. That statement about still having his standards bothered me, too. We, of course, all know why his mission companion committed suicide. He still doesn't get it yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 10:37AM by cl2.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 11:20AM

clueless

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 01:52PM

Yep, this right here. This is the evil that is so embedded in the church. The lying, closed mindedness. And ironically he was the predator, the one hunting and going out of their way to destroy.

Do you honestly think he doesn't know that he was the root cause of that suicide? He may say he doesn't know why but he does.

The key to what I find truly insidious is his whole standards statement.

You Never had any standards! If you did you wouldn't have lied about another human being you would have shown them some respect. You evil ofal, if those are the standards you still have then I really fear for your poor son.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:05PM

Whether it's a shame or not, I was left with the lingering impression that if he didn't have a gay son, he'd never have offered his "...I'm not sure if it was partly my fault or not, and since I *don't know* why he committed suicide I'll assume it wasn't, but nonetheless, I'm sorry..." piece of crap apology.

He admits lying about his companion to make sure the kid was punished; that's the worst kind of gay-bashing, short of getting physical. What does the church teach about repentance? You're supposed to stop the activity you're repenting of, and as long as he's a mormon. lying is pretty much impicit.

Mormon may often times be okay people, but mormonism, on just about any set of scales, balances out to be extremely 'all wrong'.

For me this story boils down to, would he have even considered coming up with the apology if he didn't have a gay son? Purely on gut instinct, I vote he wouldn't have, and if it was his neighbor's boy who came, the gay-hate would still be simmering, and no one in the church would be saying a word.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:23AM

I agree. This apology seemed half-ass. I doubt he would have apologized had his son not been gay.

Sadly, most of my old Mormon friends have given me the cold shoulder since I came out. My last standing Mormon friend, who I had been friends with for 20 years, essentially told me I was going to hell when I confronted him on an anti-gay Facebook post that he posted the day of the Supreme Court marriage ruling. It took me by complete surprise. Needless to say, that friendship is over. Ironically, he has a gay son, he just doesn't know it yet. Will I be getting an apology? Probably not, nor do I care. I just wish he would have let me know earlier that he was a bigoted POS so that I could have spent time with real friends.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 03:28PM

I agree too. Perhaps this confession was coerced by circumstance but it is still a coerced change of heart that seems limited.

"Still have my standards" is a phrase that negates everything else he says as far as I'm concerned because the Mormon church and it's ugly tenets come first. You cannot serve two masters. This man is serving the Mormon church and only paying lip service to this thorn in his side.

I feel sad for his gay son because this smacks of crocodile tears.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 05:56PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormon may often times be okay people, but
> mormonism, on just about any set of scales,
> balances out to be extremely 'all wrong'.

It is amazing how so many bad things happen in this "good" culture for families and kids.

Just proves my bias that Mormons are no different than other people other than they have to make excuses about it.

For something so "good" there is so much bad that has to be explained and justified.

Cut out the middle man. Live without alcohol and cigarettes and try to lower your sodium, sugar, and empty calories.

Treat people with respect when you can but don't take too much personally and avoid bad people at all costs.

Don't try sex for the first time without someone you consider trustworthy and use protection. <-stuff I was never taught but I've tried to teach my kids.

If marriage is for you get married but make sure there is something magic emotionally for you and them about it.

Have kids if you want them and know they are a life's investment.

The only reason Mormonism seems good to people (including Mormons) is that their asceticism is dressed up by a God (divine designer.)

This is a terrible reason to support something, but that is how lots of people are. Throw a god into the mix and it is "more good."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 05:59PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 04:49PM

"Still have my standards" = Still a bully at heart. Still hurting others, and oblivious to it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 10:14PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYsyl4xBDA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 10:15PM by anybody.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 12:48AM

Hmmm? Mr. Deity on his WOTM episode kinda nailed it. https://youtu.be/lz07IIsPvvY

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 10:03AM

Wow, sad to read something like that.

>In those days, we were taught to fear gay people and I was >definitely afraid. So, I reported him and had him sent home.

I always find the obsession with "teaching" to be disturbing, because it's all B.S. Lies are what's "taught."

>a companion who turned out to be gay.

What does that even mean? It could possibly even be only a suspicion. The companion certainly was "taught" the same B.S. and was on the same mission and would certainly understand the risks associated with outing himself. So why would he do so? Perhaps he wasn't gay at all! Or perhaps he was but responding to cues from the companion to such an extent that he felt comfortable hinting at his sexuality, or even confessing it. In any case, it's difficult to imagine that a gay missionary would just--out of the blue--announce it to his non-gay companion.

Anyway, so the one companion confesses to lying about the details. Clearly, what really happened either wasn't sufficient to make a "case" against the gay companion, or the lying companion lied to ensure that he wasn't implicated himself. Either way, it's yet another disturbing example of a Morgbot lying to protect his "standards" (i.e. the B.S.).

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 10:42AM

Well, clearly standards and morals and being a decent human being with compassion and empathy are not the same things at all.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 10:44AM

+1 And the Mormons demonstrate that each and every day.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 10:50AM

Standards are awesome!
Not as good as morals or ethics, but still awesome (if they are morally or ethically correct).

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 06:04PM

Standards for Something or fall for ethical incorrectness???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.