Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helen20 ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:36PM

Hello.

Maybe someone of us here share their LDS account?
The fact that familysearch.org a lot of historical documents that can be viewed only by using LDS account. These documents are of great value for those who are not Mormon.

Interested in any information about the programs you can use to download collection (microfilm) familysearch.org.
Interested in information about the program "familysearch image viewer": what opportunities it has, who can use it is possible to save documents on a flash drive?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:47PM

My member account has detail information for my pedigree only.

Posted by: logged out til further notice ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:01PM

EB, I think what Helen means is that there are certain collections whose images are viewable only with an LDS account. Without one, you're simply blocked out.

Helen, people will be reluctant to share their account with you because you'll be able to see their own private information.

If you're using FamilySearch at an LDS Family History Library, the desk workers should be able to log in for you. I think they have special login usernames and passwords for those situations. That's not much help if you're logging in from home, I know. You don't say where you are, but there are local FH Libraries all over, and there's probably one in your city. Call them ahead of time and ask.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:04PM

"familysearch.org a lot of historical documents that can be viewed only by using LDS account"

You may be confusing familysearch.org with Ancestry.com (a paid-membership site). I do not have an LDS account on familysearch.org (and as far as I know, they don't make that distinction), but I have access to all the records. I never entered a membership number and used a different name than the church identifies with me. I do research on there all the time.

If you want to use Ancestry.com without paying for it, you can do that at any LDS family history center (although the one I went to wanted my driver's license to create a login for me, which I was not OK with). You can still view your Ancestry tree and add/delete/change information on it whether you have a paid membership or not.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:10PM

I paid to have my DNA analyzed at Ancestor. com - and have that info available on a pie chart which has also linked me up with mutual connections, some close and some distant relatives.
I can access my account at anytime.
I see their list of their different services, but I get everything I need without paying anything.
They do allow a 14 day free trial, so that might work for some folks who have a lot of info they want to look up.
The value of the site, for me, anyhow has been having my DNA analyzed and the connections they have in their data base, and those that have contacted me. I have just rather recently found three direct blood line relatives.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:56PM

I have used them to research my paternal birth family. Haven't gotten much useful info yet. Won't buy into any site that ain't free (like Ancestry.org). Not that important to me.

RB

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:15PM

Public libraries and college libraries often have access to the ancestry.com data bases through their computers. Give them a call.

I don't think you need an LDS account to search on family search but they do block access to LDS ordinances that may have been done for an individual. They got tired of Helen Radkey holding their feet to the fire over baptisms for holocaust victims.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 11:19PM by caedmon.

Date: June 01, 2016 12:40PM

Mission of the Mormon Church in Moscow, I wrote in May of last year.
They ignored.

With the Russian archives I correspond so far. Who is waiting for an answer from Pskov and Tver whether they will still authorize the publication of documents on Russian familysearch.org.
But hopes for a positive response is not enough.

They do not give permission, because they themselves want to earn on their instruments (to copy).
A visit to the archive can not be all. For example, people with disabilities - can not. What do they do?

Please give at least something. I'm in the presence of official responses have Russian archivists (in Russian).
Maybe this story to light in the media of America.
Help Contact Helen Radkey, perhaps her interested in this story.

It is necessary to do something.
I was hoping to help the Mormons (and ex-Mormons), that they will help to copy the documents.
It's a shame when a Mormon can study Russian documents on the Internet (familysearch.org), and Russian citizens themselves - not. Because our sites do not have these documents. It is necessary to go to the library and look at the microfilm projector (reader).

Date: June 01, 2016 10:53PM

Helen -

I went into FamilySearch and found the collection you had mentioned (824264, church records for Pskov and Porkhov). I logged in using my regular FamilySearch account, which has always granted me access to any images.

It didn't work this time. I got a message saying "These images are viewable to signed-in members of supporting organizations." I tried with an LDS account and got the same message, so I wasn't able to look at any of them either.

According to the FamilySearch wiki, the LDS church is a supporting organization, so in theory it should have worked. It's possible that I got something wrong with my LDS account (even though I did not receive an error message logging in), but it may also be possible that these images can only be viewed at a Family History Center.

I'll be visiting my local center in two weeks (on June 15) and will try again to see what the answer might be. According to the wiki, there is also a FH Center in Pskov. I presume that you are able to visit that center, and when you are there, ask the desk workers to help you look at those images.

I also saw that the Pskov collection included over 200 films. Downloading and saving the images from 200 films will be a gigantic task, even if you can somehow get to use an LDS account. It will probably take *thousands of hours of work* to get all the images. Few people have that much spare time.

Posted by: anto1 ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 05:28AM

"It's possible that I got something wrong with my LDS account "
Yes, it is because you did not register properly, did not give all information, that was asked during registration. For example - "It looks like we still need your Membership Record Number (MRN). With your MRN, we can offer you new features . "

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 05:43AM

That is good advice. Visit an LDS family history center in Russia and see if they can help you.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 11:34PM

The reason that some collections are only visible to "supporting organizations" [LDS account] or only visible at the main Family History Library in Salt Lake City, is because of restrictions placed by the archive/repository holding the records.

It could be for various reasons depending on the archive. Most I have seen are for places in Europe, but there are some USA records like that also. For some, it may be privacy issues. For others, they may want the income from charging persons for documents and research, but also like the idea of the records being permanently preserved offsite.

Posted by: anto1 ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 05:33AM

"For some, it may be privacy issues."
It can not be the question of privacy, because all these materials from familysearch are available to all mormons...

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 11:27PM

For some European countries the records cannot be released in Europe do to privacy laws of the country, even if they are hundreds of years old. That is why they are restricted to access at the main library in Salt Lake City only. They cannot be accessed online by any mormon. They are available only at a computer terminal in the SLC library.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 08:19PM

If you join Ancestry.com and pay the fees you can see your things. It isn't fair for someone else to pay for it and you get it for free because you "borrowed" someones account. Understand?

Maybe if you have a mormon family member or friend you can ask them but this is not the place to find them. Go to a mormon for that stuff.

Date: June 02, 2016 08:29PM

"Maybe if you have a mormon family member or friend you can ask them but this is not the place to find them."

I have no friends among the Mormons.
And I myself am not a Mormon.
I asked here in the forum because here talking former Mormons.
Go to forums Mormon?
But there is even more so nobody will give such information.

To me, they only need to download the Russian documents.

Date: June 02, 2016 08:38PM

Ok then join, pay the monthly fee untill you are able to get your

information and then get out of Ancestry.

Date: June 02, 2016 08:50PM

Saucie, it's FamilySearch, not Ancestry. Two different things. The holdings aren't identical.

Date: June 02, 2016 09:00PM

logged out til further notice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saucie, it's FamilySearch, not Ancestry. Two
> different things. The holdings aren't identical
how they

Well Family Search is free.... why can't she just use that?

Date: June 02, 2016 09:04PM

The Russian government is blocking access to certain files for whatever reason. She wants us to take on Putin and his minions. Umm, yeah. Like that is going to go well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 09:08PM by summer.

Date: June 02, 2016 08:43PM

Helen, please use this page to find the LDS Family History center closest to you. The Family History center will help you to the extent that they are able to under law.

https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Please stop asking people to give you access to files so that you can illegally share them on a file sharing site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 08:46PM by summer.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 09:14PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Helen, please use this page to find the LDS Family
> History center closest to you. The Family History
> center will help you to the extent that they are
> able to under law.
>
> https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator
>
> Please stop asking people to give you access to
> files so that you can illegally share them on a
> file sharing site.

Thank you, summer.

:) :) :)

Date: June 02, 2016 10:10PM

Okay, everyone. There seems to be a fair amount of confusion as to what's going on here. Let me try to clear it up to the best of my understanding.

This is not about Ancestry. Although FamilySearch is indeed free, there are certain image collections which are restricted to users with registered LDS FS accounts. (Use of these registered accounts also provide access to the temple ordinance crap.) No account? No image.

In all my previous years of FS use, I had been able to access any image I wanted simply by using my registered FS account. In this case, that level of Mormonosity wasn't good enough; to view Helen's images, I'd have to log in using an actual LDS account, which I apparently don't have.

Still, it's obvious that those images have indeed been uploaded into FS, and I honestly don't know how or if the Russian government is in play. I doubt it's illegal to download the images for personal use, but I don't know about re-uploading them to file sharers.

------------

Now, to Helen. Listen to me. It's not clear if you read my earlier post. The collection you talked about has over 200 separate films. Each film may well have over 1000 images on it.

Do you understand what I'm saying? When you write "To me, they only need to download the Russian documents," you are asking others to download maybe 200,000 documents, one by one. That's not a reasonable request. This task will take YEARS. No one will do it for you, and no one will give you their private account information, especially for such a large and long project. It simply will not happen.

You will have to visit your nearest FH Center. As I wrote previously, the FS wiki says that there is a Center located in Pskov. You are asking for Pskov records, and so I must assume you are nearby and can get to that Center. (If you are not in Pskov, there are other Centers in Russia. The FS wiki can tell you where they are.) The people working at the desk will be Mormons and should be able to use their LDS accounts to log in for you, or give you advice on how to access the records. I recommend bringing some friends. The job is too big for just one person.

If you want this as much as you claim, you can find a way to do it.

Date: June 03, 2016 10:33AM

Thank you all for your help.

I go to the nearest FHC, how are advised.

Sorry if my request to you seemed incorrect.

Bye. Sincerely, Helen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.