Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 12:57AM

I have some Mormon friends who are open-minded and accept LGBTQs (and probably won't be in the church for much longer). They've expressed their grief online and expressed support for gay friends. But the Mormons I'm still connected to who I know are homophobic haven't said a damn thing. One or two made a post about there being a terrorist attack, but I have seen none of them express support for the LGBTQ community. Not a single damn one of them. And some of them have family members who are gay, or are online friends with people who are gay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lush ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 01:01AM

The only thoughts from Mormons I know on social networks are a slew of anti gun control meme's.

Jesus I should disassociate with them immediately.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 11:13AM

I know. The memes from mormons and other religious extremists are a hoot. None of them have been ones that express any sorrow for the victims, but none that are anti-LGBTQ on their face either.

Most of them have been just pro-gun, anti-Islamic, or "when (can't mention name) is president, America will be so great it will be raining puppies." I have seen a couple of quotes by some GA about kindness. I don't react to them, but it blows me away how disingenuous it is that they worship these people who display such antipathy to the community who is in mourning. But things that make sense totally escape most mormons.

Posted by: peacelovemoana ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:12AM

Surprisingly, I have only seen a few Facebook posts from my Mormon friends regarding this tragedy, and none of them even address the fact that it was a homophobic hate crime. They're all just talking about gun control. I didn't expect them to be completely supportive of the gay community, but is a little sympathy too much to ask?

Posted by: peacelovemoana ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 09:35PM

Update:
There was one new post today from someone who I used to be very close with. She linked to an article that basically said this whole thing has nothing to do with being gay, and that we shouldn't use this tragedy to "make a political statement". I thought about leaving a comment, but there's no point in arguing with her.
I just feel like it's willfully ignorant to say that this shooting was anything but a homophobic hate crime. And it seems like the Mormons are perfectly happy using it to make a statement about anti-gun regulation, but once the gay community tries to talk about it in regards to LGBT issues, suddenly the Mormons are all "don't politicize this tragedy".

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:57AM

Well, if you can think back to what you would have thought as a TBM, you might think those heathens had it coming. But of course you're not going to say it because of the political climate. You might even think the victims are better off dead than getting frisky with each other. It makes me glad I'm out of that Jesus H. Sickfuck mentality.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:58AM

with friends like those, who needs enemas.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 03:12AM

My Buddhist friends and I are doing something about these victims. We are raising money etc. and spreading the Buddhist teaching of LOVE LOVE LOVE.
One of our people in our Shambhala group even made a beautiful artwork of the Buddhist flag intertwined with the Rainbow flag.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 03:21AM

I haven't seen anything on Facebook from TBM's about the victims, but one relatively sheltered Utah Mormon learned that when posting something calling for gun control, the gun nuts post their conspiracy theories about the evil government confiscating their guns.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 05:40AM

mormon's may be wrapped up with what the bible says in the law of moses. Sinners should be stoned, etc. Love your friends hate your enemies.

I don't see how a christian could come to terms with accepting everyone when the bible says to hate most people?

Date: June 15, 2016 01:53PM

Christianity is based on the idea of Christ bringing a new law in his time, one that said *don't* stone people, *don't* kill them, don't even judge them. I know lots of Christians who are focused on "love one another" and are very open and accepting toward all groups. It's entirely possible for a Christian to be that way. But there are people who are more Old Testament-ish, who are all about judging and damnation. They might as well call themselves Old Testicles, because what they preach has little to do with the part of the bible that involves Christ. FWIW. I'm not Christian myself.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 05:51AM

I am glad you posted this because I have been thinking the same thing. All the posts are about keeping their damn guns and not a word about gay people. Not even one liked my new Facebook "We are Orlando" profile picture that has a rainbow ribbon on it. There is nothing controversial about it. These are people that like everything I post. And these are people that changed their profile pictures to French flags after the Paris shootings. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

I just don't get it. Are they scared someone might see that they don't despise gay people? Are they all secretly glad this happened?

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:01PM

that others think they are LGBT. After all, if they're Mormon, they will be judged for that.

Date: June 15, 2016 05:22PM

Yeah, there's a possibility if you show support for gays, another Mormon will accuse you of being gay. Safer and more self-serving not to be labeled as one of the sinners.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 08:45AM

I've seen a lot of horrible stuff coming from some Christians. It's so nauseating and disgusting. Vile.

Posted by: pillem ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 09:19AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't expressions of grief for the victims be support of apostates or unbelievers?

Sorry to be so blunt, and yes that position is disgusting, but what's "a little" disgusting behavior between TBMs?

I'm sure they don't feel the freedom to cry, and cry out, with the rest of the nation. Unless there is clear leadership to decry acts of violence against specifically LGBT people, even offer support, members do not enjoy the US Bill of Rights. No freedom of speech, association or religion.

The silence may be broken by cracing shelves; we'll see.

Posted by: pillem ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 09:23AM

*cracking

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 09:28AM

Here in South America I've spoken with many folks (Mormon and not) who deplore what happened in Orlando. This, from a society that is much more homophobic than many parts of the U.S.

The younger people are the most tolerant. Women are more tolerant than men. The troglodytes are the straight adult men, who carry not only homophobia but the overarching "machista" that is such a part of Latino culture in many places--male chauvinism or patriarchy.

As disturbed as I am about the church's relegation of gays to second-class status based on their personal behavior, I believe that the church's patriarchy is worse. When the worldview is dominated by straight adult men, you're going to have regressive policies such as homophobia.

And I say that as a straight adult man. There is absolutely no justification in having only one gender dominate an institution whose self-labeled purpose is spiritual growth. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 12:15PM

Silence is all I've heard, and is all we'll hear, unless as Pillem stated, the cult comes out telling the members they need to act like caring humans.

Posted by: Scottsburg35 ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 12:27PM

Its sad. The momo's on my facebook are making nasty political comments about gun control etc. I had to really clear out my friend list after reading some statuses...So many hypocritical homophobes in the church. (and yes I am gay!)

Posted by: ??? ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 01:31PM

I have also only seen a single post, and it was about being anti-gun control. Amusingly came from the shotgun wedding with nevermo boyfriend girl. All others had something to say about Paris, changed their profiles, etc. This time, nada.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 01:51PM

Back in 1999 or 2000 can't remember for sure a small tornado hit downtown Salt Lake City. years later I was sitting in a combined relief society and priesthood meeting in the cultural hall all the seats were taken and I was sitting next to a old lady I didn't know. The meeting was about being prepared for natural disasters. The old lady reminded me about the tornado that hit SLC. Her quote "I heard the tornado hit the gay district of SLC". My response to such ignorance was "I lived in SLC when that tornado hit, I'm gay and it didn't come anywhere near me".
The look on that old conservative cruel wrinkled face was priceless. She couldn't get away from me fast enough.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: June 16, 2016 12:10AM

too funny

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 09:41PM

I've seen the same with my LDS friends.

I was reminded, by their silence, another reason why I left.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: June 16, 2016 06:48AM

The daughter of a (mormon, so former) acquaintance expressed her grief by changing her facebook photo to include a rainbow flag and some text with the word Orlando.

Guess how a TBM acquaintance reacted? She wrote _LOL_, nothing else. Holy fs.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 16, 2016 09:03AM

Wow, compare this to the tens of thousands of people around the world who have donated well over 5 million to the victims of the nightclub shooting, so far, out of love and compassion for their loved ones.

Also, many of those at the nightclub were *not* LGBT. They were there because they weren't bigots or otherwise blinded by hatred and prejudice for others unlike themselves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.