Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 11:24PM

Gordon Monson, columnist for the "Salt Lake Tribune," punched BYU in the face with these choice kick-in-the-groin gems from his column, "BYU Is No Light to the World." Monson went so far as to warn that its juvenile after-game bad-boy antics could spell disaster for the already struggling Cougars program:

"Just when it seemed losing to Memphis was about as embarrassing as it could get for BYU football, suddenly things got a whole lot worse at the Miami Beach Bowl. The Cougars were caught up in a post-game fight that featured all kinds of ugliness from both sides, including BYU center Tejan Koroma getting assaulted by four or five Memphis players, including one — Chase Johnson — who used his helmet like a weapon, clubbing Koroma upside the earhole from behind, and BYU defensive back Kai Nacua round-housing a Memphis player with the worst kind of sucker punch. . . .

"It was sad. It was pathetic.

"And it presented a nightmare scenario for BYU and its fans, horrified as they watched, already jumpy about the direction of the school’s football program and what that direction means for its future.

"The challenges for BYU are great, finding itself outside a power league, outside of any league, hoping somehow to be invited to a party that currently seems crowded and content to include no more newcomers. The limitations of the Cougar program are plain to see, with a combo-pack of confined recruiting because of its tight competitive margins and its honor code--which chases away even some LDS athletes who simply do not want to deal with imposed standards, some of them antiquated and downright silly, far beyond standards in place for the rest of the LDS Church’s population. If reports out of Wisconsin are true, even Bronco Mendenhall wanted out, wanted a better opportunity elsewhere, having reportedly applied for the Wisconsin coaching vacancy.

"Truth is, BYU is too caught up in the presentation of standard-keeping, always needing to put forth a certain image, you see. One of the Cougars’ priorities that appears to have had a heavier presence under the rule of coach Bronco Mendenhall is exposure for the Mormon faith by way of its football team, missionary work in helmets and pads brought forth to a football-crazed nation.

"Mendenhall has emphasized that proposition from the beginning, using scriptural accounts of ancient warriors standing as public comparisons and examples and inspirations for his players. Walk into the student-athlete center at BYU, where the football players hang out, study and eat, and there are quotes from religious leaders, modern prophets and apostles, posted on walls all around.

"And then . . . BYU gets rolled up in a nasty fight on national television, with lowlights beamed around the world, with reaction about the fight blowing up on social media. Much of it centered on … BYU and Mormons. It’s not the kind of exposure for which BYU and its leaders hoped.

"It is the kind of exposure that could get BYU football canceled.

"Already, that’s happened to sports, including football, at other BYU campuses for other reasons. And it could happen in Provo, as well.

"Could.

"Not saying it will. But there’s no doubt that LDS Church leaders are embarrassed right now about what took place at the Miami Beach Bowl. You can walk that to the bank. Some already have their reservations about the Church’s top school putting so much emphasis on football. This helps not one bit.

"A leadership that frowns upon long hair and beards, earrings and tattoos, must be doubly, quadruply, disappointed at senseless violence perpetrated by what it wants to consider representatives of the faith on the field, in front of millions and millions of eyeballs.

"All of a sudden, the lasting impressions of a vast audience for which that leadership was hoping are transformed into impressions it wishes and prays are quickly forgotten. . . .

"BYU didn’t start the fight. But the brawl was widespread enough to have gone far beyond the notions of honor, spirit, tradition. Imagine if Mendenhall had gotten his way a while back and had those noble characteristics sewn onto the back of his players’ jerseys instead of their names. And on Monday, Spirit would have been putting a beatdown on some Memphis linebacker and Honor would have kicked the crap out of some opposing defensive back and Tradition . . . there would have been hell to pay had anyone crossed Tradition’s path."

("Brawlin’ BYU Is No Light to the World," by Gordon Monson, "Salt Lake Tribune," 22 December 2014, at: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1982115-155/monson-after-brawl-byu-football-hardly)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 11:45PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 11:43PM

The implications of this fight are huge! Football is the biggest thing in this country. Nothing is more popular. Everyone saw this on ESPN, facebook, and twitter. The Mormon Essays didn't get this kind of coverage, just a quick blip in the news. People are stil talking about this. The whole country knows BYU=Mormons and they didn't act like Jesus Monday night. This is such bad PR for the church and for BYU football.

A lot of people equate BYU Football as part of the religion. Players and fans give all praise to God for blessing their beloved football program. Now that it is getting further and further into the dumps, I wonder if it is possible that tscc scraps the program like they did Ricks' Football program. If so, that will be a huge step forward of the downfall of the "Kingdom of God on Earth."

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 11:46PM

I thought Monson was a good writer.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 12:23AM

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 11:47PM

BYU football is dying a slow death since the shepherd Edwards left his flock to a bunch of dip wads...

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 12:08AM

I've worn a BYU (Rugby) uniform and love my school (despite the knowledge that the church is false and ridiculous). This fight doesn't bother me at all. This is football...fights happen. If you want to represent the Lard, stick to scripture chase.

What hurts BYU is that they are completely irrelevant now. They can't join the Big12 because of the church, or any other power conference for that matter. This "independent" status they have is a joke. Mendenhall needs to go. The AD needs to go. Utah has seen incredible success and notoriety in the PAC 12, and BYU is now officially a pimple on the ass of the NCAA.

As for Monson,BYU won't give up football because of revenue. It's that simple. Provo is a football town. Only if TSCC goes under will BYU football go under.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:13AM by DWaters.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 01:25AM

I agree that no power conference will take them. And if being independent is a joke, and if BYU football is not going away, then what's left? Back to the Mountain West?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 04:15AM

What's that Nelson? Oh yeah...Ha Ha!

Independent. No conference. They thought they ruled, but guess what? They drooled...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 12:14AM

Thanks for sharing that, Steve. It was worth reading, to be sure.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 04:19AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing that, Steve. It was worth
> reading, to be sure.

Ditto, I absolutely love this, BYU revealed in all its stinkin glory...

LDSInc. has some mighty bad karma to live thru.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 12:25AM

Is this Monson any relation to THAT Monson?
Just wondering...

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 01:00AM

What does this guy mean -- BYU did not start the fight?

I have the brawl on my DVD player -- HELL YES, BYU STARTED THE FIGHT!!!

Memphis players were celebrating their victory in a dogpile, right there where the last play ended.

Maybe they could have chosen a better place to do it -- but who thinks about things like that when you just won a hard fought bowl game?

They did NOT choose the place to do it in order to get on BYU player's nerves. It was spontaneous. It just happened.

Kia Nacua sucker punched the University of Memphis player.

Then all hell broke loose, with players on both sides getting into the fight.

U of Memphis players were no model of good sportsmanship, either -- but they did NOT start the fight.

If the BYU boys would have left the Memphis players alone to celebrate their victory, all would have been OK.

But Kia Nacua had to throw the first punch...

Posted by: mikemgc ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 04:01AM

Haven't been around in years here, and have often disagreed with you on occasion back when. But on this one, I have to agree with a bit of anger and tiny satisfaction. For every punch their players threw, they gave themselves a black eye and I love to see that played out on a national scale.

I went to high school with Jim McMahon. Graduated the same year. I knew him, I talked with him, but don't get me wrong, it's not like he was my best friend or anything...although a friend across the street from me was his good friend.

Let me make this perfectly clear...which is already perfectly clear to anyone back in those days. Jim was anything but a saint. And BYU recruits just like any other University. They don't go around searching for saints, pre-missionaries, ex-missionaries. They have a goal like every other University and that goal is to win.

Back in the day, "they Y" turned a very blind eye to their football players as much as they could. Especially with Jim. Although they did score one with converting Ty Detmer. But for the most part, there is nothing "holy" about their squad. They've been caught drinking, having sex, performing all manner of "abomination" LOL and while they're refusing a degree from some guy who created a missionary calendar, they have a whole different standard for their athletics program and only if they get caught red-handed and it becomes well known do they take any action.

In the end, their program is no different than most programs. Except for well, some of the TBM's on the squad might be a little more full of hidden aggression. I love the spotlight in this case being shone on them...but like with all things mormon, it will die as they constantly re-write their own history.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 05:36AM

All true

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 07:41AM

Personally, I think that "hidden agression" may come from being so stifled. When you are a young collegiate athlete with energy to burn, it's very difficult be a true blue mormon. Perhaps it's more sexual frustration than anything, plus being unable to party and let lose.

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 07:28AM

Tips to save BYU Football
1) Church needs to act as a funding mechanism only to BYU. Drop the ecclesiastical nonsense and let the scholars and academics run the institution and achieve all of the essential accreditations.
2) Separate any church involvement in the athletic program immediately! It's no secret that the institution is actually being held back by the church. If you're afraid of the athletes running amuck...too late, it's been going on for years. If you're afraid of the church's "black eye", I think their historical actions coupled with their recent admissions about polygamy, race,etc...have done way more to hurt their credibility than a couple dumbasses throwing punches. Or am I way off???
3)hire a NoMo coach. That's right a NoMo. Recruit more to the South,Texas,Midwest as well.
4) apply to the Big 12. They are desperate and would probably take BYU given the recent exodus of teams and before BYU's program is literally nothing.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 10:52AM

The game and fight will be forgotten by NY Day. BYU is not canceling football or anything close to it.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 11:30AM

""Just when it seemed losing to Memphis was about as embarrassing as it could get for BYU football, suddenly things got a whole lot worse at the Miami Beach Bowl..."

What a waste...sending psuedo-do-goody boys to Miami for a bowl game. They must have been bored out of their minds...being watched over and all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.