Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Berkeley Hills ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 10:09PM

If someone were to write or speak in original Book of Mormon grammar it would be something like this. There "was much" reading of "them" scriptures "as they was a going" to be called to serve. This here Book of the Mormons are the most correctest book on this here planet. It ain't got no error a'gin it. Below are purfect quotes from that there original publacation of the keystone of hour reeligin. By golly, them there bruthrun in Sult Lake Sity have all them P'm h d's at BYU to back 'um up on how currect the Book are.

Here are a few direct quotes from the original Book of Mormon.

"And now there was seven Churches ..." (page 209) [Mosiah 25:23]

"... there was many of the rising generation ..." (page 209)

"... those who committed sin that was in the church ..." (page 209)

"Now the sons of Mosiah was numbered ..." (page 212) [Mosiah 27:8]

"... I had much desire that ye was not in the state of dilemma ..." (page 241) [Alma 7:18]

"... they was angry with me ..." (page 248) [Alma 9:32]

"... the land of Nephi, and the land of Zarahemla, was nearly surrounded..."(page 288) [Alma 22:32]

"But behold there was no wild beasts ..." (page 460) [3 Nephi 4:2]

"... but it all were vain ..." (page 142) [Jacob 7:24]

"... an army of the Lamanites were in the borders ..." (page 204) [Mosiah 23:25]

"... inasmuch as it were possible." (page 224) [Alma 1:32]

"Now the object of these Lawyers were to get gain ..." (page 251) [Alma 10:32]

"... and all things that in them is ..." (page 64) [2 Nephi 2:14]

"... and all things are given them which is expedient ..." (page 65) [2 Nephi 2:27]

"... shall be the words which is expedient in my wisdom ..." (page 67) [2 Nephi 3:19]

"... and wild goats, and also much horses." (page 145) [Enos v. 21]

"... and destroy the souls of much people." (page 217) [Mosiah 29:7]

"... lest he should look for that he had not ought and he should perish." (page 173) [Mosiah 8:13]

"And he told them that these things had not ought to be ..." (page 220) [Mosiah 29:34]

"... and that they had not ought to murder ..." (page 289) [Alma 23:3]

"I had not ought to harrow up in my desires ..." (page 303) [Alma 29:4]

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/3913intro.htm

Every time I read through the errors in the first edition or read the banal crap that constitutes the current edition I just cringe. The Book of Mormon is the biggest piece of trash ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 10:37PM

not too long ago, TSCC announced that they'd located another 'copy' (printers working paper) of BoM... something like that anyway.

iirc, they said that there were (some, lots?) of corrections done along the way.

It may have said / suggested that the copy Joe claimed ('original') wasn't used by the printer, but was a copy of the work that Joe's scribes wrote.

Another winding path to explain, 'eh?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 10:45PM

I annotated the hell out of the first Nephi in the margins. Funny stuff.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 11:19PM

Its use of the modestly archaic English so as to be like the KJV is so atrocious as to be downright laughable. After all this time the church *still* hasn't sent a competent freshman English major through it to clean it up. Or at least hadn't by the time I left in '92.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 11:28PM

My undergrad degree is in journalism. I'm a bit of a grammer geek and punctuation princess.

I was horrified the first time I saw the text of the original Book of Mormon. No way in hell that mess came from Gawd.

;o)

Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 05:03PM

I am laughing along with you. Same undergrad degree. Was a paid proofreader in college. And had the misspelled word "mispelled" get by me!

Hope all is well with you and yours during the holiday season.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 12:23AM

It was written in Reformed Hillbilly.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 01:26AM

but to produce a book and get rich quick. They could have proclaimed direct revelation from God like Mohammed and then all of the "errors" could have been explained away as a result of Joseph's lack of education. "The Book Of Mormon" is both the beginning and the end of Mormonism.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 11:31PM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 12:13AM

What? You didn't know that God was trailer trash? And it came to pass that now you do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2014 12:14AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 12:27AM

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 12:36AM

Does someone have it handy where the godhead changes are, so I can print them on a card for the next time I chat with the mishies?

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 01:00AM

Thanks! That was what I wanted, and more!!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 07:33AM

Some analysis of the BoM's "poor English" has identified it as "Appalachian English" - the common language spoken in Joseph Smith's 1830 New York which, of course, is strong evidence of its local origin.

Most early converts were from that same region and would not have recognized them as "grammatical errors".

Of Jerald Tanners "3,913 Changes in the Book of Mormon", about 3,800 were made to remove the "Appalachian English" grammar and spelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2014 07:43AM by Templar.

Posted by: bourneidentity ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 11:23AM

and how .I was taught that the B of M was the most perfect book. Why won't TBM's even give this a look? Ignorance and not wanting to see the Truth?

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 12:39PM

They won't look because they are afraid of the truth. It's like the kid that didn't want to stop believing in Santa Claus for fear the gifts would no longer come.

When I first learned about the Angel Nephi to Moroni switch, I mentioned it to a fellow student at BYU in the 1960's. He angrily responded: "I believe what I believe and nothing you say will ever change that" and stormed off.

I never again bothered to discuss church history with any TBMs. They are much too uninformed and brainwashed. The lights may be on, but clearly no one is home.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 12:43PM

The original has been put into scriptural chapters and verses, over 4000 grammatical and spelling errors updated.

The believers are not concerned. It's the message they are intent on believing.

It is a bit silly, now that I think about it, that I believed the people, places and things were real! Sorta like accepting that the fiction characters in a book were real people.

Mythology is very powerful. The Bible has the same problem.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 07:24PM

In an interesting parallel on this, FAIR denounces the accounts regarding Smith's "failure" with the "Greek Psalter" incident with the argument that what the trickster pastor that caught him making stuff up quoted as having Smith say was in "Appalachain English," with just those kinds of mistakes...but FAIR claims Smith didn't talk that way. The original BoM shows, though, that he did indeed -- and that anything else out of him was heavily edited later on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.