Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 01:34PM

When the Bumpass's dogs ruin the turkey dinner they go out.
Have you ever been out for Chinese food on Christmas Day or the day after?

http://mandarinutah.com/

Pay Lay Alol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 01:35PM

Mandarin is closed on christmas day.

Date: December 25, 2014 01:38PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 01:43PM

We did once when our oven unexpectedly died.

We put everything in the fridge to cook a different day and went out to a Chinese restaurant. It never tasted so good. I was more relaxed because I wasn't running around trying to cook, stage and serve everything.

The restaurant wasn't crowded for a change.

It was a Christmas dinner associated with good memories for me.

It was the movie that gave us the idea to head out. Love that movie.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:00PM

While we were there, they got calls and requests for reservations for Christmas and New Years. I would not be surprised if the movie didn't encourage that. The owner said they do a good business on holidays with diners who don't want to cook.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:12PM

please use Asian instead of Chinese!

also, there's NO SUCH PLACE as 'the orient', OK?

/s/ Mr. Grammar!

Date: December 25, 2014 02:24PM

in my topic line the latest political correctness way to spell it? lol

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:34PM

Ba-Zing!

Posted by: pathoss ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:18PM

China is a country. Chinese food is different from Thai food. Chinese food is different from Japanese food. It is also different from Korean food. And Vietnamese. Out of all of these, I prefer Chinese food. That's not racist.

Get off your high horse richey

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 05:30PM

I eat Chinese food with great prejudice for it. I also like Chinese acrobats and opera. Chinese hot mustard on egg rolls. Fine China.

Posted by: SSoCalNevermo ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 09:45PM

Are you saying that there is (or should be) no difference between Chinese, Japanese, Thai or Cambodian? Do you know of any "Oriental" restaurant that has all of those?

Posted by: Friend of Chinese ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 09:51PM

"please use Asian instead of Chinese!"

You are joking right. Literally there are a dozen Chinese in my house at the moment celebrating Christmas and they would be baffled my your comments. Chinese refer to Chinese food as Chinese food "zhongguo fan"..

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:28PM

I don't claim to be the most up to date or politically correct person around but what is wrong with Chinese? I was not an English major either. There are many different countries/ethnic groups in Asia? In the movie they go out for Chinese food. Not Thai, not Japanese, not Vietnamese, or Korean. All of which are distinctly different.

In Japan they have a semi tradition of having KFC on Christmas Day. Don't ask me why.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:28PM

Hello Grammar Police

You have to watch the Saturday Night Live skit on "Asian American Doll." I was literally laughing out loud at the doll "created by fear."

My children keep me up to date on the pc. They correct me if I say "oriental rug." It's supposed to be "Asian rug". LOL

Kathleen

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 04:56PM

Oriental is fine when used to describe OBJECTS (not people.) It's proper to describe something as an Oriental vase, rug, pattern if you don't know where it was made.

I hope GNPE is being sarcastic, because that has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. Chinese food is different from Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean etc just like other posters mentioned. Hell, I'll take it a step further and describe it as American Chinese, because that's more accurate for what we Americans eat here.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:30PM

A family I know here in Georgia cannot cook. No one in the family of three knows how. So for Thanksgiving they normally get some invite, and for Christmas they go out for Chinese near a local Publix supermarket. So I'm assuming that some Chinese places do, in fact, stay open.

Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:43PM

Yeah, umm...the Chinese restaurant I went to this time last year says Chinese restaurant on the awning and on the door. I'm going to call it a Chinese restaurant.
That's like insisting someone named Mike go by the name Michael if they don't want to...just call a business by the requested name.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:48PM

Exactly.

The restaurant I went to says Chinese Restaurant, Oriental food right on the sign.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:49PM

Don't you know that the Jewish Christmas tradition in the NYC area is to go out for Chinese? Often a visit to a movie theater is included as well. My husband is Jewish, and we have gone out for to the local Chinese restuarant for dinner on Christmas several times. We are doing it again this year, since I will be making the big meal this weekend when one of my sons and his girlfriend are here. And yes, it IS Chinese. We also have several Asian buffets in the area, but the local one is strictly Chinese food and the chef is from China. Last night I went to Midnight Mass as I sing in the choir, and today we have a Chinese dinner.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 08:03PM

There is going to be news story in Minneapolis about this tonight. It is what all my Jewish friends did when I was a kid.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 08:10PM

Jersey Girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't you know that the Jewish Christmas tradition in the NYC area is to go out for Chinese? Often a visit to a movie theater is included as well. My husband is Jewish, and we have gone out for to the local Chinese restuarant for dinner on Christmas several times. We are doing it again this year, since I will be making the big meal this weekend when one of my sons and his girlfriend are here. And yes, it IS Chinese. We also have several Asian buffets in the area, but the local one is strictly Chinese food and the chef is from China. Last night I went to Midnight Mass as I sing in the choir, and today we have a Chinese dinner.

In Los Angeles for a few years (I didn't hear about it until after the fact), they had what was called "An Evening of Kung Pao Comedy" where you'd have a 7-course meal followed by a show with several name comedians.

The Jewish tradition, which I only follow half of, is for a movie and takeaway Chinese. If it's OK with admin, here's a link to the why and wherefore:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/why-american-jews-eat-chinese-food-on-christmas/384011/

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:57PM

It was packed.

We were also wondering if people got the idea of going out to Chinese food on Christmas from the movie.

We'll have to try it sometime.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:10PM

Yep. Spent Xmas in Santa Fe one year and forgot to make reservations. It was the only place we could get into.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:22PM

We went to our favorite Chinese restaurant after Vesperal Divine Liturgy last night. Yes, the movie did inspire me. I figured it would be one of the only places open that late on a Christmas Eve and it was. The kids were happy because they got to see the koi fish. The owner loves our kids and lets them feed the fish.

We then came home and opened all the gifts. We don't do Santa so we figured, why not! As a result, my husband and I were able to sleep in this morning as the kids already had all their new toys to play with.

We cut off contact with my toxic TBM family and hubby and I are able to drink wine all day long today.

I really like what we did and I think this will become our new tradition.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 04:26PM

Check Yahoo news today.

It has an article about why it has become tradition for many Jews to eat at Chinese restaurants on Christmas.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-american-jews-eat-chinese-food-christmas-170002066.html;_ylt=AwrSyCPTgJxUbSYAYvPQtDMD

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 04:48PM

It's pretty much a Jewish tradition. People who don't celebrate Christmas go to the restaurants of people who don't celebrate Christmas. And then to a movie.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 05:24PM

We had Chinese!
We celebrated Christmas with family this past weekend, so for today we decided to take a little road trip to Rehoboth Beach, DE. Guess what Christmas lunch options we had? McD's or "The Chinese Buffet". We chose the latter and it was very nice - I even had some Peking Duck.

Posted by: MovingOn ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:40PM

Our family spends every Christmas Eve dinner eating Chinese take-out in front of the TV, watching A Christmas Story. Much more fun and relaxing than cooking.

Posted by: Airizona ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:47PM

Eating Thai right now with the family! Our 2 Chinese restaurants were closed.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:54PM

We went out to PF Chang yesterday ( Xmas Eve )
Love their Dynamite Shrimp !

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 08:04PM

My daughter and family were invited to eat Christmas dinner with another family they were friends with. At the very last minute, one of the children of the host family got sick. Daughter and family ended up eating Chinese food on Christmas day since they had no back up plan. They thought it was great fun!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 08:05PM

but I went out last night as well, as the local Mexican places nearby were closed as well. And then, not only did I get half a roast duck, but I got some absolutely delicious dumplings as well. Atlanta Magazine did a review of a food court at a strip mall in its April 2014 issue, and I've been trying some of the dishes in it. YUM!!

Posted by: Jesse, not logged in ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 08:20PM

I went to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas day 2011. Wouldn't say it was crowded but I wasn't the only one there. This was in Washington DC. Didn't want to see family that year and had just gotten out of a relationship so I had nothing else to do that day. Food was good. They ended up charging my card $1200, but that's another story.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 12:11AM

A couple years ago our family decided to not cook on Christmas day and hit our favorite Chinese restaurant for take out the night before.

When I arrived to pick up our order, I asked the proprietor if they were open tomorrow. We still laugh about his response:

"Of course not! It's Christmas!"

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 12:26AM

Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra....
Of course - Chinese tastes fabulous on Christmas.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 01:50AM

We always have Chinese food for Christmas Eve. Sometimes I make it at home, and sometimes we get take-out. Or sometimes we do both. This year we got take-out and I also made sweet and sour chicken and some stir fry at home (because that's what the kids requested). And we always have to have fortune cookies. I buy extras before Christmas just to make sure we have plenty.

I don't remember exactly why we started the Chinese food Christmas Eve tradition, but it was almost twenty years ago when the oldest kids were just little. There may have been a connection with A Christmas Story, since we started our tradition of watching that on Christmas Eve around that same time period.

Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 02:08AM

We just went to Panda Express for lunch, then brought it home and watched A Christmas Story while chowing on Chow Mein. Mmmmmmm...
Fa ra ra ra ra, all!!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 04:04AM

In Seattle, it's Tai Tung, hands down

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tai-tung-chinese-restaurant-seattle

I prefer the chow yuk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.