Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:16PM

I go to a singles ward and the teacher said that sealings for the dead was the most romantic thing she has done - she is almost 30. I kinda feel bad for her if that actually is true since she is almost 30.

How do you know the couple had an arranged marriage and the reality was they hated each other, but they couldn't get divorced? I mean marrying for love is a concept that has only been around for a few 100 years, most of the world (and some cultures still do this) have arranged marriages or marry for financial considerations or for get higher socially.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:19PM

Love isn't necessary for eternal marriage in cojcolds.

Obedience is all that is necessary.

Very sad.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:24PM

Obedience and TITHING

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:25PM

It sounds rather morbid!! Yuck!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:26PM

This is so true. When I started exploring history I came across a lecture on the history of marriage.

WOW!

It is so true that LDS Inc. is consigning couples to Hell not Heaven in their sealing them. But that is what LDS Inc. does best - consign people to their own form of self-torturing Hell. Why let the dead get off simply because they are dead?

Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:32PM

Right, marriage for love didn't necessarily happen - especially with the nobility.

Date: December 29, 2014 01:37PM

If it did it was like winning the lottery and church sanctioned marriages were late in the game. It wasn't recognized as a "sacrament" for the church to administer until long long after Jesus was executed.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 30, 2014 12:35PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:32PM

I've posted this I don't know how many times.

It was MY LAST visit to the temple. I had actually gotten a new TR at the insistence of my husband to see the new endowment after 1990. I was pulled aside to do sealings to some odd guy. I still cannot believe they didn't pull my husband aside with me. It was just more than I could take. I had 40 or so minutes to sit in the foyer of the temple and wait for my husband and THINK. I never went back.

Date: December 29, 2014 03:02PM

Hey Honey, let's go bind some dead people to each other for eternity, catch a movie about Adam and Eve for some more dead people after that and then go to a buffet full of meat when we are finished with the dead stuff?

Sounds so very romantic.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 04:06PM

I love it when TBMs go to the temple for date night! Sooo... romantic!

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 04:43PM

I had an institute teacher quote someone saying that all you need is compromise, not love, in a marriage. It's odd how the church focuses solely on marriage ("I Want to Go to the Temple" song in primary, in YW/YM no sex until marriage, in YSA "when are you getting married?!"), when apparently an arranged marriage is just as good as one based on choice and love.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 08:30PM

If that's the height of romance for her, then either she's dating the wrong people or she has really low expectations.

The Mormon brain seems to lack imagination and thoughtfulness. Cultish thinking really does paint a world in black and white instead of full Technicolor. Reminiscent of Pleasantville.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 09:01PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 30, 2014 12:26PM

Sealings for The Walking Dead: now THERE'S an idea.....

Not sure whether to shoot them in the head before or after the ordinance, but it sounds romantic either way!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.