Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 03:47AM

i have heard said that the bishop has to meet with you before they will remove your name....is this so? i really do not want any of them coming to my home (they dont know where i live right now) and i just do not see any need at all for it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 03:47AM by brokenwings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 26, 2011 03:49AM

and oh something im concerned about.....is the fact that they do not know where i live right now but will know when i send in my letter, is this going to cause a stampede to my door

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 03:59AM

About two weeks after I sent my email to Greg Dodge, I got a form letter signed by a bishop saying that I had 30 days to change my mind and asking me to call him to discuss my concerns. I ignored the letter; six weeks or so later, I got my final Dodge letter.

I had been inactive for over a decade, although living in the same home, so the bishop's name was not familiar to me. That may be why he wasn't more aggressive. No love bombing, no missionaries at the door.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 08:37AM

A few people have used PO Box numbers as a point of contact when resigning.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 10:49AM

From what I read here, they don't make the contact in person much anymore, but if the bish does drop by, all you need is about a 10 second conversation - "Yes, I resigned. Proceed with the paperwork."

More likely, you will get a letter from the bish (I did), or no contact at all. Current policy is that if the bish does not return the paperwork to SLC within 60 days (30 days?) they go ahead and finalize the resignation without the bishop's input.

All you have to do is wait. The bureaucracy will grind it through. Keep in mind it typically takes 60 days to get a mail-in manufacturer's product rebate. Bureaucracies are by nature clunky and slow.

Actually, resignations seem to be going faster lately. My guess is that they are handling enough of them that they have had to streamline the process.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 12:09PM

If they showed up at my door after my letter stipulated "no contact whatsoever" then that 10 second convo would consist of "what the he!! do you not understand about no contact. Get off my doorstep before I get a restraining order."

To the OP, my letter was very specific about not wanting any contact from SLC or at a local level and that I would take legal action if I heard anything from TSCC in the future except a letter verifying that they had received my demand for resignation. That was a couple years ago, and nobody contacted me. Dodge sends a copy of your letter to the local bish, so he knows you don't want contact, and deserves any vitriol you can dish out if he ignores that.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 10:53AM

her visiting teachers started showing up. (luckily, she lives in a gated building). I got on the phone to her bishop and firmly let him know that b/s would not be tolerated and to process her damned resignation OR ELSE! (It's bad enough we have to jump through these hoops in the first place) Now they leave her alone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 11:50AM

They're wrong. Once you've resigned (sent your letter) there's no legal or moral reason for a bish to have further contact.

But since they're misinformed, they still might call you or show up at your door.

You could stipulate in your letter that they're not allowed to contact you and doing so will be considered harassment. Sometimes that works.

You could also have your letter notarized because they excuse they use is that they're making sure you actually are who you claim to be. It's a stupid argument, but mormons can sometimes be stupid.

No matter what you do, they might show up. Sorry. I wouldn't like that either. It gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about having my property contaminated by a pompous morg priesthood guy trying to bully me into being in his cult.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 12:14PM

I sent my letter straight to SLC. I didn't know who my bishop was since I resigned after I moved out of my ward of 27 years. I got a letter from the new guy who had never laid eyes on me and it was kinda funny. He said he was disappointed, blah blah blah but that he would "allow" me to resign. Uh-huh....anyhow, after about 2 weeks, I called and left Greg Dodge a message asking why I hadn't gotten my "you are out" letter. Low and behold, I had that letter in 2 days!

Date: March 26, 2011 03:07PM

Thanks everyone for the input.
I have been out for 13 years now. Had never really felt the importance of resigning. Had not heard anything from them (i seem to be good at hiding from them,lol) until 2008 when my home burned down, there was a big write up in are local paper about it and they called the paper to find out where to contact me......then i was loved bomb until i moved again hehehehe
Since lurking here for a long time before actually joining and reading many post on the topic i begin to realize the importance of resigning.....i DO NOT wasn't to be counted as one of there members....i know its only numbers...but i want to make it one less.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 03:15PM

Once you've sent in your resignation and they have received, you are no longer a member. The rest is just their in-house paperwork - or computer clicks!
You are done.

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 04:06PM

Do any RM exes ever contact their successful baptisms about leaving TSCC?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 26, 2011 09:15PM

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 12:47AM

I remember as a missionary teaching the importance of praying and receiving a personal testimony about the truthfulness of what I was teaching. That way, even if I were to come back ten years later and tell them everything was a lie, it wouldn't matter.

Those many conversations play through my head as, now ten years later, I find myself on a path of no return. Interestingly enough, all but one or two of the people I converted are on that same path (through no intervention on my part).

Posted by: anon000 ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 01:28AM

Hey, after you send in the letter, you're free anyway. You are out. But they have that need to make you feel like they are in control, so they talk about it being a local matter, as if to say it's in the bishop's hands. Sometimes the bish will want to see you, and may even want to bring along heavier artillery like the SP. But usually you are viewed as a pariah, so no one comes to see you. They stamp your document or whatever the hell they do, send it through, then send you a letter stating that now you are no longer a member, once again as if they are in control of the situation, not you. But legally you are out the instant they receive your letter, or maybe even as soon as it is postmarked. And if they do want to see you, simply say no or don't go. Or meet with them but take control by saying you'll meet with them at your house, and then call them mister or by their first names. They really hate that.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:48AM

my resignation in to dodgegw@ldschurch.org, and I also sent a handwritten note to the bishop and the stake president stating that they would be getting notification from Dodge that I had resigned, and I wished no contact about the matter. One month later I got my "out" letter. There was no contact from anyone. I still get home teachers, apparently they don't know a thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.