Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 02:06PM

Does anyone else have Mo relatives who insist on this? I understand if you are going to Disneyland and want to find each other.

This is for a groups of adults.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 02:09PM

Why are you going anon for this?

Matching shirts and outfits is not a mormon thing. It's just a thing.

Date: December 31, 2014 02:15PM

For example if you spent the weekend at someone's house and they wanted you to wear matching shirts - wouldn't that be sort of weird?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 03:03PM

UGh. Okay, I get you. Yes, that would be awkward for me.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 02:24PM

Yeah that's weird to me. Probably just a weird control thing. Id not play along just to be a punk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2014 02:24PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 02:28PM

Is it for purposes of a group photograph, perhaps? Other than that, I can't imagine why anyone would care.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 02:33PM

I was in Brooklyn NY recently in a Hasidic Jew neighborhood. The children in a family were often dressed in matching clothes. The brothers and sisters had shirts and dresses made out of the same material. This seemed to be their everyday clothes - not a special occasion. It was a little odd.

When I took my kids to Disneyland I made them wear matching t-shirts so I could keep track of them and be able to describe what they were wearing if one went missing.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 03:01PM

That doesn't bug me as much as couples who seem to always wear matching clothes. We get it, folks, you're together.

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 03:17PM

Good God. Really? These kinds of questions make me think some people need to get out of Utah more.

This happens everywhere I have ever lived. Maybe it's for a party. Maybe they just like to be similar. It's certainly unusual, but not restricted to mormons or Utah.

Who cares? If it makes them happy, let 'em wear what they want. It's not hurting you. There are certainly worse things they could be doing.

Posted by: Anonagain ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 03:24PM

This isn't only in the mormon world. I belong to a Crossfit gym where most of us own the same shoes, hoodies and tshirts. For us it's a club thing.

Date: December 31, 2014 04:10PM

It's definitely a control issue. The thing is, it would never occur to me - where did this weird idea come from? That's what I want to know.

I'm not in Utah. I never dress in a sexy way.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 08:39PM

When I do family photos, the families often ask me if they should all wear matching outfits (the favorite being white shirts and jeans, though most of them aren't mormon).

I always suggest they don't, but of course leave it up to them.
Some ask why I suggest they don't; I usually tell them "because you're all individuals with your own personalities expressed at least partly through clothing. Wearing all the exact same outfits seems a bit cultish to me."

Most laugh at that, and agree. One last year asked me, "You're an ex-mormon, aren't you?" He was too :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 09:15PM

My mother used to put all her girls in matching dresses and the boys had shirts to match. It was a matter of economy. She could buy an entire bolt of fabric at a discount.

I don't know anyone that makes clothing for their kids anymore. It's much cheaper to go buy it. Not too many women have the time to sew all their kids clothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.