Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:24AM

I'm of the opinion they don't. Not for any reason. I don't care what he wants her to do or be. It's not funny. It's not a joke. Women are more likely to be killed by men they know than any other way. It's a sick society that has this problem and makes jokes about it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/domestic-violence-111224.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:29AM

I didn't read the article. Because first I need your definition of "a real man."

I don't hit women, never had, never will, and I video-taped my ex-wife smooching with her boyfriend (rich, rich boyfriend. I probably would have smooched with him, if he'd asked.)

See, that joke is what proves I'm not a real man. So maybe I have no place in this discussion?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:38AM

You aren't the type that has to worry about the question.

IMO real men don't hit women.

This post was in response to the post asking if women should be spanked. No. It's just another way of asking if there are good reasons to hit a woman. NO.

I've been hit by a man twice. Both times I weighed under 100lbs. They were at least twice my size. I didn't have a chance. Both times I thought I was going to die, and easily could have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 01:39AM by madalice.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:41AM

I wouldn't put up with it, but fortunately for me I never dated that type of guy. In my family it would be considered a very dishonorable thing for a man to do.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:46AM

Real men don't intimidate women in any way, for any reason. Only weak poeple bully others, to make themselves feel strong.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:47AM

Get rid of the gender pov... a real human does not hit a real human (or other).

If you are hitting people (other than in self defense or something similar) You are missing a piece of humanity.

You're just an animal acting from your instincts at that point.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 05:52AM

I don't think men or women should be hitting each other. My husband was a victim of domestic violence in his first marriage and that's really changed what used to be my sexist views regarding violence among people. I don't think men should hit women or other men. I don't think women should hit men or other women. I think everyone should keep their hands to themselves unless, of course, they are defending themselves against an attack.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:09AM

Amen to this!

Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:34AM

Totally agree.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:52AM

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with being a violent human.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:03AM

But we, humans, are animals and we do have instincts.

I'm a non-hitter of women because that's how I was imprinted; it's certainly not instinctual. Watch three year olds with uncaring parents for a display of our ego-driven instincts.

And I think many male humans who would never hit a female human would gleeful hit a male human, and look for that opportunity under the proper circumstances.

But certainly, to pose as a friend or lover and then feel justified in 'punishing' a female by striking her, no matter the disparity in size, that never bodes well in a relationship.

And I don't have the slightest idea about enablers, co-dependents and the other assorted clever words social scientists have created. I belong in a much simpler time.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:43AM

Real men shouldn't even be tempted to hit or intimidate any woman. That should remain true even during heated arguements and discovery of betrayal. A man's duty to protect women, especially the women he loves, from violence (including any violence he might inflict himself), is a sacred duty. That value should be instinctive for any man whether in or out of the church.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:46AM

We are constantly bombarded with messages against violence by men. What is rarely discussed is violence by women, as it is not politically correct.

I regularly see on TV shows a woman hitting a man, and he just stands there and takes it. As in this thread, he has been trained to be a "real man". Apparently it is considered funny. A few nights ago we were watching a show in which a woman twice hit a man in the face, and just stood there. I asked my wife why he didn't hit her back. Silence.

This whole issue with domestic violence seems to be all a war against men. If it was a war against abuse generally, it would include both men and women. This is the kind of half-truth that would be found at church.

http://www.saveservices.org/2012/02/cdc-study-more-men-than-women-victims-of-partner-abuse/

SUMMARY: According to a 2010 national survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Department of Justice, in the last 12 months more men than women were victims of intimate partner physical violence and over 40% of severe physical violence was directed at men. Men were also more often the victim of psychological aggression and control over sexual or reproductive health. Despite this, few services are available to male victims of intimate partner violence.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 03:28AM

I'll have to disagree with Free Man. Although violence in either direction is unacceptable, the balance of power in any case of physical confrontation is so much in the man's favor in almost every case, that self protection should rarely if ever be a serious issue for the man. If a woman had a knife or gun and I feared for my life, I wouldn't see a problem using any amount of force necessary in self-defense only. But that's also after giving up any ego on your part also. You can and should run away if necessary before choosing the violence option simply because you know you'll win. And then leave her if necessary to protect yourself from future violence or threats of violence. Violence is equally unacceptable in either direction.

Any woman that I would be attracted to, could never 'out-man' me. So yes, let her call you a coward for running away from a physical confrontation if that's what she chooses to do. Your resolve to never hit a woman will keep your self-esteem in-tact no matter what she could say. But if she strikes you, be prepared to leave the relationship as she should do if you strike her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 03:41AM by azsteve.

Date: January 02, 2015 11:57AM

I have to agree with Freeman.

This line is spot-on:

"This whole issue with domestic violence seems to be all a war against men. If it was a war against abuse generally, it would include both men and women."

The question itself is sexist.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 04:01AM

Other than full-on self-defense, it is hard/impossible to imagine any situation in which a man would be justified in striking a woman.

It is also hard to imagine any situation in which women are justified in physically attacking men. By the way, AZSteve understates the amount of injury females can perpetrate. It is of course true that most males are larger than most females; but a full-strength sucker punch, even from someone eighty pounds lighter, can do a lot of damage, as can well-placed eye gouges, kicks, bites, etc.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 04:02AM

I dont hit women - not since I grew past 'the terrible two's' toddler stage, anyway

and I dont think men, in general, should hit women

but I do have a problem with your question... It just screams out 'NO TRUE SCOTSMAN'
and ignores the occasions where a violent women is the instigator of an event.
There are male victims of domestic abuse
and if you walk around any inner city at night, you'll find that some of the girls get just as lairy as the boys

but, in general terms, with a few provisos, clauses and qualifications..... real men dont hit women

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 06:15AM

Men and women need to treat each other better than that.

Men might do it more frequently, but women can also be violent. Yesterday, I talked to a woman who said her son was married to someone who hit him frequently and sent him to the hospital. He couldn't get anyone to believe it wasn't his fault.

I also know a man whose wife had him kidnapped at gunpoint so her brother and his friends could wipe out his bank account. Years later she shot him in the stomach when he told her he wanted her to leave but wanted his share of the assets.

She's in jail and I hope it's for a good long stay.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 06:19AM

A man who hits women and-or children is afraid for his own masculinity and is a coward. In the Army I had to deal with this too frequently. I would say it is a problem in the military except that I think it is a problem all over and I am just seeing it through the military.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 07:14AM

My husband was a victim of domestic violence by his ex wife and he just retired from the military. He's had colleagues who also had abusive wives. I think domestic violence against is vastly underreported, especially among men in fields that are male dominated like the military. Yes, there are abusive men in the military, but there are also guys in the military who get hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 07:19AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:15AM

Funny you should say this. i knew a guy who married a Thai woman he met in a bar in Thailand. She used to beat him and destroy his property even though she was half his size. i don't know what happened to him because I lost track.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 06:38AM

I agree Madalice.

Any man who hits a woman is an a**hole as far as I'm concerned (unless of course it is genuinely self-defence against a significant physical threat).

I've never done it and I've taught my son to follow the same path.

Actually, I'm not a great fan of men hitting other men either ;-)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 08:31AM

I have watched my mother pummel my father and he just took it. I also had an aunt who beat up my uncle, broke his glasses, etc., and he did not retaliate either.

I was married to a "man" who like to abuse women and children. He was a big pu$$y around other men in that respect.

Nobody has any right to hit anybody else. Abuse takes many forms. People who do this are jerks, whether they be male or female.

Posted by: shum ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 10:27AM

Never,Ever!!!! Its part of the code your Dad should have taught. There are some things males cannot do and thats hit a women. So punkish, and so insecure!!! Never, Ever!!!!!!

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:38AM

No they don't. Period. In part of my learning growing up I was always taught that you NEVER put your hands on a woman ever out of anger. I will defend myself but have never hit a woman ever. When I was taking Tae Kwon Do I had a lady that was the black belt in the class and had a hard time sparing with her. And she kicked my butt

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:48AM

Playing a sport like Rugby, certain types of hits are OK as well. Yes, I have seen women play rugby with men.

I have even seen a woman boxing with a male opponent. To claim that she should not be hit because she is a woman would be an unfair advantage, wouldn't it?

I think a better question to ask would be "Should people abuse other people?" I think the original question is about abusive hitting.

Abuse is not right if it is a man doing it to a woman, a woman doing it to a man, a man doing it to a man, or a woman doing it to a woman.

I also think it wrong if a human abuses an animal.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 12:21PM

Is there anything more satisfying then when a jerk ass guy gets decked by another man, when he REALLY deserves it? Gets my libido going...

Date: January 02, 2015 12:28PM

Sounds like you have a fetish.

A violent one at that.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 01:24PM

Posted by: Anon-for-this ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:36PM

I am a man and was in a marriage where I was subjected to abuse and violence by my wife. This included hitting, scratching, throwing things, holding a knife at me... and so many more.
She obviously assumed that I would not hit her back, and used that against me to be able to use violence against me knowing I would not respond with violence.
She was half my size, and I could have seriously hurt her any time I wanted. I never did.

I think the previous comments about people not hitting each other is more appropriate. Gender is irrelevant.

If a man or woman physically assaults me but I do not think they are a real threat to my safety then I will not respond physically.

If a man or woman attacks me and I judge them to be a threat to my safety then I will respond with whatever force I judge necessary to protect myself - male or female.

I think the idea of men not hitting ladies comes from a society where ladies act like ladies and do not inflict violence on men. If women do not act like ladies then they do not deserve the courtesies of gentlemanly conduct extended to them.

Nobody has the right to physically assault someone else regardless of gender. If a women starts a fight then a man has every right to protect himself, if that requires physical force then he should. If a woman does not want to have a man hit her, then not hitting men would be a good place to start.

Just to be clear - I do not condone physical violence at all. I have never started a fight and I never will. Violence is never the answer.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:45PM

NO.

Period.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:54PM

The first person the investigators interview is the male person in a woman's life when she is killed.
What one human can do to another is incredibly disturbing.
Those that are left in the aftermath, often have to deal with the cruelty of another human being.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 02:56PM

Whatever. If some crazy bitch hits me, I might just hit her back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.