Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 12:26PM

According to ABC news, a court ruling brings SSM to Florida.

Because some county clerks doesn't want to perform gay marriages, they will now stop offering courthouse weddings for everyone.

"While awaiting Hinkle's clarification, a handful of Florida county clerks said they would stop offering courthouse wedding ceremonies, partly to avoid performing those ceremonies for same-sex couples.

"The clerks of court in Duval, Clay and Baker counties said they would have no choice but to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples when Florida's ban on same-sex marriage expired. However, they decided to end all courthouse weddings to avoid performing those ceremonies for same-sex couples, among other reasons."

Maybe they are buying into Tal's argument.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 12:43PM

I'm sure there will be a legal challenge to that.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 01:39PM

A while back they did that in my county here in California. They still issued marriage licenses to same sex couples (and anyone for that matter), but they didn't perform ceremonies. They said it was due to "cost cutting". I'm not sure if they ever went back to performing ceremonies.

I believe there could only be a legal challenge if they discrimanated between straight/gay couples. No marriage ceremonies for ANYBODY = no legal challenge.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 02:35PM

No ceremony for anyone equals no legal challenge is not strictly true. If a statute says county clerks will perform marriage ceremonies, clerks do not have discretion to refuse to perform ceremonies, whether or not they refuse for all couples or just some couples. The form of challenge will be a court-ordered writ ordering them to do their jobs and perform the ceremonies, or else be held in contempt of court.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 02:22PM

Ya, but they're not doing it because they have a problem with gay marriage. It's purely coincidental. They were thinking about marriage and the degree to which the State should be involved in marriage.

Right about the time they came to the conclusion that the State should not be so involved in marriage gay marriage became legal.

Don't read too much into it. Pure coincidence.

Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 02:54PM

http://jacksonville.com/news/florida/2014-12-31/story/duval-clay-baker-counties-end-courthouse-weddings-avoid-marrying-gays

The newspaper is the Florida Times-Union.

Sadly, I live in one of these three counties.
Happily, Clerk of Court is a elected official.
Sadly, said Clerk was just elected in November.
Happily, my memory will not malfunction in four years.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 02:29PM

This song and dance has been played many times before. Things may change but Man himself changes very little. Perhaps one day we could live in a world without hate...

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 03:17PM

Because of man's fallen state, it will be a long time before hate will be a thing of the past on this world.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 06:51PM

man's fallen state? How about people are just human?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 06:53PM

Why don't these county clerks just do their jobs or go find another job!???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.