Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 12:58PM

Hi, just wondering if states had statutory rape laws for adults having sex with underage kids back in JS day or if they are a 20th century thing. I've told TBM husband about JS having sex with teenagers, but he brushes it off and says people got married that young all the time. Seriously ticks me off. Only a mormon would defend a child molestor as long as they are a prophet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:03PM

Joseph Smith, profit and molester, went into hyper-overdrive in trying to seal the deal. Her parents, esp Heber, were evil to subject their own daughter to such. Smith promised this poor girl that she, her parents, and her entirely family's eternal welfare rested upon whehter she said "yes" to his nasty proposition. Current Mormons who know of this instance and others like it in Smith pool of victims, and knowingly condone it - well I find them highly questionable. Shame on the mormons who continue in a church like this. This is the main reason I got out. When I found out about this one fact - I said to myself, "OMG I am out of here...this is bull shiz."

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:24PM

wife. To think his descendants are considered morMon royalty........ Disgusting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 01:26PM by mav.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:03PM

Ya, vigilante law said "hang 'em by the scrotum". The further West you went from major cities, the less likely it is that they had what we know as "statutory laws".

Ron

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:04PM

I just read this on yahoo ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101015/ap_on_re_af/af_kenya_obama_s_brother_1

So when you conservative TBM forwards you this email or posts it to facebook, you can retort with "well, Joseph did it more than once, so what's wrong with that?"

(BTW, O/T: Funny that "Major Bidamon" is replying to "Emma" -- only on RfM!)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:16PM

"Statutory rape laws became part of the American legal system through English common law. As in England, early lawmakers in this country adopted 10 as the age of consent. However, during the 19th century, states gradually raised the age of consent, in some cases to 21"

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2903097.html

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:19PM

In JS's time there the statutory rape age was 12.

Sometime I'll check the OH laws against adultry and bigamy.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:40PM

HMK was in no position to consent to Smith's proposal as he was already married. Likewise, Smith was in no position to request HMK's consent as he was already married.

I call it rape, plain and simple, because all "adult" parties involved, including HMK's parents, forced the child into the arrangement via threatening her with eternal consequence.

Timothy

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:17PM

lol, Major Bidamon. actually its my real name. i decided to be brave and go for it

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:30PM

... has it been acceptable or legal for an already married man to marry another women of any age or for an un-married or married man to marry already married woman and so-on. Back in Horn-Dog Joe's day, it was illegal in most states to have sex outside of marriage even if the participants were single.

Its not a question of whether it was okay for Smith to marry a 14 year old. Its a question of whether it was okay for Smith - an already married man - to marry a 14 year old.

It was not, which leads one to conclude that Horn-Dog Joe was more interested in feeding his zest for poontang than fulfilling his priestly duties.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 01:41PM by Timothy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.