Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 11:47AM

Well, in a conversation with a GA and other family members of mine, they 'ganged up on me' and said, "The bottom line, [thewhyalumnus], is now that you have denied your testimony of the Book of Mormon, what do you have to say about the OVERWHELMING amount of archeological evidence of it?"

My response: "Yes, let's talk about that. I would love to share with you what I've found."

They immediately changed the subject and just self-righteously looked at each other and shook their heads in sadness about their 'apostate family member'....

I love that they can make sweeping claims, with ZERO examples and no discussion. Yet, I can share with them about the plethora of garbage, in church history, citing numerous sources and it's "Anti-Mormon" and cannot be proven. They are right. I am wrong and misled, no matter what subject come up regarding TSCC.

I need a new family and circle of friends....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 12:02PM

While not with a GA, I have had this happen with my TBM wife many times. She makes these outrageous claims, with no support for this wild ideas. And I am just suppose to believe these things cause she said them.

I guess she learned that from the church. I mean, that is how they work right?

Church makes claim, says its true cause it came from them. End of story church keeps getting tithing money.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 02:49PM

if the evidence is overwhelming, how come archeologists aren't flocking to the one true church?

Apparently, it ain't so overwhelming....

Posted by: Airizona ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 12:10PM

Hey cousin! Welcome to the family where we use our brains for more than just bodily functions and mental regurgitation!

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 12:21PM

It's called having your cake and eating it too. If science points you away from religion - it's wrong. If science puts gas in your tank, a diamond on your hand or helps your kids recover from cancer (DNA therapy), its just fine!!!

You just make up stuff to fill in the gaps related to religion. La la la la la la - I'm a brainless moron .. la la la

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2015 12:22PM by perky.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 12:39PM

I was with a woman with a GA this weekend and I agreed with just about everything she had to say regarding mormonism and disneyland and it was good. And no, GA in this context does not mean "good ass." It means "Great Ass"! Which I stand by, and pat. And it was good.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 02:19PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was with a woman with a GA this weekend and I
> agreed with just about everything she had to say
> regarding mormonism and disneyland and it was
> good. And no, GA in this context does not mean
> "good ass." It means "Great Ass"! Which I stand
> by, and pat. And it was good.

I like where you're coming from ElderOldDog..... a place of complete facts, no fiction .

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 03:27PM

Looks like you called their bluff.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 03:41PM

This was said to me before as well. my reply was, Show me?

He gave me some dvd about it. Watched it and thought what a stretch of the imagination.

I took it back to him and said, I watched the whole thing and only saw made up and extreme stretching to the LDS mindset of what is already know to be Aztec ruins.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 04:42PM

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 04:35PM

Maybe he can collect the $10k that John Dehlin recently offered for this.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1473616,1473961#msg-1473961

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 04:59PM

Did Tolkien ever go looking for orc and elf bones? What about battle armor and weapons?

I didn't think so. That would be silly to look for such things from a work of fiction. I won't be waiting for them to find something anytime soon. Mormonism is a proven fraud. The work has been done. Acknowledging the work is the only thing left for the Mormons to do. We aren't waiting for them to pull a rabbit out of their hat or a ferret out of their front bottom.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 05:44PM

Their depth of bullshit is directly proportional to the inability to provide examples or evidence.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 06:03PM

My TBM brother has been telling me that for years.
Then not long ago, he himself wrote an article for the Neil Maxwell Institute about the "NHM" inscription find...in that article, he himself wrote "This is the first archeological evidence of the truth of the Book of Mormon!"

It isn't that, of course, but at any rate...I e-mailed him a link to his own article, quoted that line, and then said,"So, you admit you've been lying to me all these years when you said there was overwhelming archeological evidence for it, then? Oops."

:)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:10AM

cue Nelson Muntz...

"Haa Haa"

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 02:02PM

...Teryl Givens?

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 06:14PM

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed just as easily.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:01AM

Ask them where the gold plates are. When they feed you the BS story about the angel taking them back, give them a reindeer-in-the-headlights look and say, "and you actually believe that?"

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:02AM

The idiots repeat their lies so often, they begin to actually believe them. This is reinforced when they repeat them to one another.

When TBM's try to force their bullshit on me, I just say "get real" or "you don't actually believe that nonsense, do you?".

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:11AM

Hence.... "testimony meeting". A PROVEN cult technique to innoculate others against their own ability to reason.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:11AM

"The Smithsonian Institute is OVERWHELMINGLY using the BOM in all aspects of N. American history."

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:32AM

"now that you have denied your testimony of the Book of Mormon"

The evidence is a non-issue. In their eyes you have committed spiritual suicide and denied the Christ. Using this statement is designed to strike fear into your heart and soul.

Back to the topic, I'd ask (and I have) to see just one article in any science magazine- popular science, discovery, national geographic, learning channel, discovery channel, museum collection, etc.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 03:14PM

The closest thing I've seen is that someone 21,000 years before Lehi allegedly lived came over from Europe via the same Siberian ice bridge that the East Asians came over. This has as much to do with the Book of Mormon as Charles Lindbergh crossing the Atlantic does to Columbus.

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:36PM

What more do you want?

If that isn't overwhelming then no Mormon knows what is.

Convert!

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:49PM

If the archaeological evidence is so overwhelming, it should be pretty easy to say where exactly on the American continent the Book of Mormon took place, right? I mean, wouldn't that archaeological evidence have to have been found somewhere, in an actual physical location?

I have yet to find a Mormon who can show me where to set the geography down, other than those paid "Book of Mormon" tours in Central America, and Cumorah in New York state (although, strangely, I've never met a Mormon who thinks the Book of Mormon took place in the Eastern United States!)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:06PM

If a GA were to stand before me and show me empirical evidence to support the BofM, my answer would still be "READ MY LIPS - I STILL DON'T FUCKING CARE!"

Ron Burr

Posted by: MY TAKE ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 07:43PM

+

The OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE here regards THEIR own stupidity, arrogance and childishness!

+

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 12:42AM

If you already have the answer, you can always ask the "right" question.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.