Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:25PM

I was looking at some of the stuff on the 'recent news' section of the exmormon.org site, and I came across a link for what looks like an entire... booklet or pamphlet describing actions to be taken for members in sweden who are in the process of exiting the church due to information they've uncovered outside of church or church-sanctioned documents.
http://www.mormonthink.com/swedish-rescue.htm

I don't know if someone just ran this through an internet translator, or if they took the time to translate this to Swedish from English, but some of the translation errors are pretty funny, or maybe they're deliberately written that way, I'm not sure what's worse:

-"Members may lack the capacity / ability to understand their situation."
-"In the book of Moses in The Diet Only Pearl,"

For all I know this is old news and was talked about in threads a couple years ago, but maybe someone could apply some context to the 'swedish rescue'? did it work? are members still leaving in droves?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:34PM

You need to consider a broader interpretation of the word "translation". Although traditionally the word "translation" means to translate from one language to another, in this case, other possibilities may exist. Besides, maybe the internet translator didn't have all of the original source papers and those original source papers are now missing.

/sarcasm

Sorry... couldn't resist... those are pretty funny translation errors.

I am interested in knowing if anyone is aware of the end result of the Swedish Rescue. How many folks left? I listened to the YouTube recording the other day... it sounds like the people in attendance of the meeting were very well educated and many were pretty pissed off.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:41PM

I was very impressed by the intelligence, sincerity, and patience of the Swedes in the room. The meeting was in English--stupid Church and Turley kept talking about who he could do a better job of answering the questions if he had more time. They kept saying, yes, please, take the time.

For me this was a watershed meeting. I wish more mid-level leaders would hold the Mormon executives to account in this matter. Since they failed so miserably, it is likely the executives will no longer accept such meetings. Too busy, being living apostles and prophets.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:36PM

Reading the story of Hans Mattson, an honest man who dedicated tremendous time to church....reading his story led directly to my exit.

He is the reason there was a Swedish rescue as he had contacts with enough church big wigs they couldn't really ignore him.

Date: January 07, 2015 05:36PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1477427

Here is a source to YouTube video and transcript of the Swedish Rescue meeting.

The only fall out I know is that GA Jensen was given emeritus status. We will never know for sure why, but shortly after the Swedish Rescue he was put on emeritus status.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:11PM

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:16PM

http://mormonthink.com/files/swedish-transcript.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 10:20PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:42PM

Interesting. You don't hear about too many GA's given early Emeritus statuses. As I keep reading the document and about the document it becomes clear that it's no different than any other church talk or document- it's vague, addresses no specific questions like Historocity of the BOM, JS adultery and polyandry, out-and-out lies about Polygamy, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the average Swede were smarter than the average American, and consequently were less likely swallow the bullshit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 05:43PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 05:50PM

" it's vague, addresses no specific questions" - Well, they have been getting away with it for decades. Till they are called out on it, repeatedly and publicly I doubt it will change.

Date: January 07, 2015 06:23PM

Even worse. They revert to proven frauds and half-truths. They use the frontier apology for the age of marriage that is a proven fraud. Many Mormons accept the lack of males in the MormonWest as an apology for polygamy when these numbers are not supported by facts. They also claim non-sexual relationships with wives while also holding as doctrine that these marriages must be sexual and also were intended to repopulate a dwindling group of Mormons due to persecution and disease.

Holding these people accountable for their claims is one of the things former Mormons can do best. The most important thing that can be done is to create a community for former Mormons to transition to their eventual community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 06:24PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:43PM

My guess is that the rescue was a huge failure. They would have had no need to publish this recent Ensign article if things were actually great.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/12/the-church-in-sweden-growth-emigration-and-strength?lang=eng

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:02PM

I want to know what was in the briefcase.
I think it was dirty underwear.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 11:03PM

For 2012 I always pointed people to the Swedish rescue mission. It is proof of the deception and deception by omission and the pain this group of people felt finding the truth.

For 2013 it was the CES letter. A great resource that if anyone would look at, lays it all there in an easy to read package. Was good for those open to at least look. This took a toll on the educated young members who would be the tithing future of the church.

For 2014 it became the essays, straight from the horse's mouth. How can a member deny what the church is saying even if the church is sugar coating it and still lying, just less than in the past. A member who never would have read the CES letter can be told hey the church admits Smith was a perv.

Now, LDS INC is crashing down and all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put humpty back together again. They are a bumbling, incompetent laughing stock. There is not even any reason to sit back with a bag of popcorn anymore, its over, the body is getting cold, every day they will be smaller and weaker. They have crested and its all downhill.

I suppose this was all inevitable but I feel that Romney getting the nomination speed up the process by a decade. The Church went full blown trying to seem normal, the missionary surge and opened themselves up to scrutiny they could not survive. They needed to stay in the shadows in Utah. The only thing worse for them would have been if Romney won. I don't know if Tom's legal action had anything to do with the essays but the essays were big.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 11:25PM

jkjkjkjk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if Tom's legal action
> had anything to do with the essays but the essays
> were big.

It did. It had everything to do with the essays.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 03:03AM

I don't think Jensen really believes it anymore. That is why he got emeritus status. A compromise since he won't testify to the lies.

I think he had his wake up moment.

Date: January 08, 2015 04:37AM

You could be right. It might not be a termination for failures in the field.

What do you think he doesn't believe anymore that others still do at his administrative level and above do?

Posted by: freetochoose ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:51AM

I don't think Jensen got early emeritus status. He was 70 years old. That's normal.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile2/55011521-218/jensen-church-lds-general.html.csp

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 09:10AM

The Church in Sweden

Missions: 1

Stakes: 4

Districts: 1

Wards: 24

Branches: 16

Members: 9,463

Population of Sweden? 9.7 million.

Yeah they're really hastening the work. lol

from this website:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/12/the-church-in-sweden-growth-emigration-and-strength?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 09:29AM by notamormon.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 09:22AM

Very funny, if you don't get it by now;
The guy flunked bad.
PS: not only flunked, it turned into a debacle, there won't be a single member there pretty soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 09:24AM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: rocketscientist ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 12:56PM

But if Turley just had more time, all would be explained. Or, you just have to wait for the book coming out next year, and all will be answered.

Dan Peterson used the lack of time excuse in his rebuttal of the CES letter.

All this reminds me of the soliloquy from Macbeth:

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

This is so applicable to TSCC, particularly the last line.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 03:14PM

I originally received the Swedish documents from someone in attendance. He aparently translated them the best he could. I believe I had the original Swedish version as well but I trusted his translation as I didn't really have any good alternatives. But it's pretty accurate and gets the point accross very well.

And I've never had any Church folks or apologists refute the document on that grounds.

Whenever I hear anything from Swedish members, it is pretty negative about the Church - low activity, low rentention and continued frustration amongst the members.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 03:22PM

I cannot wait for the American rescue.....please?

I hope more open their eyes.

Date: January 08, 2015 04:39PM

If the Swedes had just sat there and kept their mouths shut, taken the advice, and listen the half-truths, that would be how many Americans have behaved. I know of no American ward uprisings as a community.

Certainly the majority of former Mormons are Americans, but unlike the Swedes the failure of American Mormon leadership to hold their leaders accountable has not allowed for an American rescue type scenario.

I think the sentiment is shared, I suspect that too many American leaders are compromised.

Hans Mattsson was a sincere Mormon--he really believed the teachings of his childhood and when he found that he had been deceived, he didn't keep quiet and look out for what was easiest or best for him.

He roared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 04:39PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 04:54PM

"He roared."

Yes! And I'm so glad he did.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 05:27PM

From a sweet sister missionary, serving in the Sweden Stockholm mission, from the week of Nov. 18, 2014. I call it

"The Story of J"

Monday night we call J (the elders investigator who got baptized in July and hasn't been to church since Sister Allred's first Sunday), and he was excited to hear from us and decided to go to the temple with the elders and the rest of the ward on Saturday. Jättebra

Wednesday. ... J calls us, there was a CNN article about polygamy and he just grills us and is shocked and hurt (understandably) and feels kinda betrayed. I had no idea how to answer his questions cuz Polygamy baffles my mind, too. I just asked him if he believes the Book of Mormon is true and he said "yes" and how if we know that's true than we know Joseph Smith was a prophet and followed God's commandments even if we don't understand. He wasn't very satisfied and we hung up and I was miserable for the rest of the day, again feeling SUPS inadequate.

Friday: met with Kl, he's willing to keep coming to church but he just felt "pressed" to get baptized (dumb, he set up his own date!) but he loves the feeling of coming to church...I think he just doesn't want to give up smoking and change his life either. Found out the elders met with J and he's okay now

Sunday: ... Found out J doesn't ever want to come to church again. I think he's unwilling to make life changes, either. I feel really bad for Elder Haddon who is going home next week, it was his first baptism and now he doesn't want to come to church ever again :(

So CNN performed a mini-Swedish Rescue!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.