Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 09:41PM

When the hell do they go away?!?!

I've been dip free for 21 days! But the cravings are hell sometimes. Especially when buddies at work dip.

I don't think Brother Joe or Brother Brigham made it as long as me.

I thought after this long I'd be home free. but the cravings are still there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 09:48PM

And I smelled someone smoking today and had the craving for a second before remembering when I smoke now, I throw up afterwards. I tend to crave them when I've really stressed out (today was one of those days.) Just keep resisting and it won't have as much a hold on those pleasure centers as it used to.

Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:09PM

I think 21 days is too soon to expect to be over them, You are well on your way though!

I know they are hell. Anyone that hasn't been through it, has no idea.

I smoked for 25 years, and WOW...no kidding just realized that it has been five years TODAY since I've had a cigarette.

Anyhow, the way I got through them was by logging onto whyquit.com. I would read the success stories, the support boards, and the very sad stories of people that didn't quit in time to save themselves. After reading for a bit, it just didn't seem worth it anymore. I would say it took me a couple months before the cravings started to subside. But I continued having them occasionally for well over a year...but fewer and less intense.

Hang in there! It will get easier, and some day...you'll realize that you went all day without thinking about it at all. That's a happy moment! : )

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:32PM

I quit three years ago after being a smoker for many many years

and there are times when I would love to have a cig. I don't have

those times as often as I used to, but I think I will always

want one. For me, I just can't have that one.... there is no such

thing as just one for me. It gets easier and easier.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:32PM

Your state should have an anti-smoking / anti-tobacco campaign which may provide some help. It's usually free. I just don't suggest nicotine gum or lozenges, cuz that's just replacing addiction to tobacco with addiction to gum/lozenges.

Even if they have to prescribe chantix or zyban (which is an anti-depressant [like wellbutrin]) is does help with the emotional and habitual cravings. Tobacco does did mess with your receptors chemically, so you may need some medicinal help for awhile to get over the emotional ups and downs for a while.

Posted by: nomorefencesitting ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:57PM

I quit cold turkey a year and a half ago and I go months without thinking about it. I can even be around people who smoke my brand and not get the urge to smoke. However, when I am stressed out, I find myself dreaming that I gave in and I become disappointed in myself and than am relieved that it was just a dream. I know that if I even let it happen just once, I will probably be right back where I was again.

I promise you that there will come a time when you won't even think about it for weeks or even months. But then, one day out of the blue you will get a craving again. However, as long as you resist the urge now, those cravings will subside again and it will become easier.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 04:01PM

I vape.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 04:14PM

drilldoc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I vape.

So do I.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 04:34PM

I've been trying to cut down on vaping and I've been in a terrible mood all damn day.

Date: January 08, 2015 04:57PM

You don't cut down on vaping, you gradually cut down on nic level.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forum.php Check it out with those folks.

Date: January 12, 2015 05:31PM

Yep. I'm down to 6mg. I guess 3 or 0 should be next.

Date: January 12, 2015 05:32PM

Vape does kill the crave though. Smell better too.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 11:34PM

Seriously. Mt. Baker has some good stuff.

Date: January 14, 2015 07:19PM

I have been down to 3 mg for a year. Mix my own. Just threw away the last of those tiny 15 ml Mt. Baker bottles-- at one time I had 40 flavors going. LOL.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 04:12PM

Is there some guarantee that the cravings ever disappear for everyone? I don't think do. Some deal with it on a daily basis. I hear about it. Some not so much. Some not at all. Some use gum and patches and that helps. I've seen this done for years.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:34PM

Remember that nicotine helps with anger control. I always said that "When I get angry, I hit myself in the lungs instead." So because of the cultural issues on a daily basis or PTSD, many of us have real difficulties getting rid of the nic entirely. You know what? Small amounts of nic aren't harmful for most of us. You may never get off of it, but that is ok. Might as well enjoy it in a healthier manner.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 07:41PM

Ask the doc for a script for Zyban. It makes one feel nauseous when thinking about smoking. I've been smoke free for 5 years and never even think about it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 05:56PM

I quit smoking almost 32 years ago, after 19 years of 1+ pack a day smoking (and in Canada our packs are 25 cigs, FYI)...and the cravings lasted for probably 3 years...but I didn't cave in. And I never tried dip. Good luck on your journey. It's definitely worth it.

Ron Burr

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 11:06PM

Thanks guys. Cravings have gone down a lot the last few days. guys at work dip and I tell myself how stupid it would be to start up again. Been about a month now. Just gotta keep going.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 11:19AM

I became a smoker when I served in the military. After reading the Surgeon General's report, I went cold turkey. I had trouble with cravings for about six months, but refused to give in. After that, I was never bothered again.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 05:42PM

Gave up smoking when I joined the church. I was twenty. Started to smoke when I was in the 5th grade. I think smokes were $0.35 per pack. When I was in the Navy, sea store cigarettes were $1.10 per carton and no there weren't dinosaurs roaming the Earth back then as well. I hate to say it but I also remember gas at $0.17 per gallon also. Damn!

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:11PM

Michael, it was 17 cents a gallon and you got a free glass with a fill up of more than 8 gallons!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 08:29PM

You've come to a good place, and there's a lot of support here to cheer you on.

Addiction recovery is very individual. Listen to as many success stories (several good ones, above) and use them to reinforce your resolve to stay off the stuff. Lots of people have lots of tips: pay attention to them, and use any which seem sensible.

It all comes down to maintaining your resolve, and reminding yourself as often and as emphatically as you need to that you're going to be free of the evil weed. My thoughts? Most of the nicotine in you has been purged, and it's psychological prompts that are tempting you. Every day you go without you are cleaner, cleaner, and healthier, and your body purges more of the nasty sh*t. Take some of the money you're saving and treat yourself to something nice--you deserve it!

You can do it!

(signed)
The Caf-Fiend

2-3 packs/day, Camel Straights, 1967-1984, tobacco free ever since. Just don't ask me about my caffiene habit!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.