Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 10:34AM

This is coming up because a TBM friend of mine, one who I have had some lively discussions with, bore his testimony on Sunday to the "virtuous nature" and "exemplary life" of the prophet Joseph SMith. He talked of how "generous" and "giving" "The Prophet" was. I hear how he cared for "the needy" and "rebuked the brethren" for their "lack of charity". I can provide references for the above, since they are all snippets from real articles and sermons that he quoted in his testimony (who quotes in their testimonuy anyway?).

But as I see it, Joseph was an opportunistic parasite, he used people all the time. Has anyone ever compiled a list of the different times he manipulated and used people? I would really love to be able to reference it, and if not, I would like to develop one.

I know he "borrowed" a wagon without permission to get the plates--ie unethical behavior even on the night that was supposedly so holy. I know he made promises to Isaac Hale after eloping with Emma that he did not intend to keep about getting into honest work. I know he stole the stone he used as his "seer stone" from the local cabinet maker (maybe Willard Chase). I know he got Peter? Lawrence to give him a ride to Pennsylvania and a recommendation to marry Emma by lying about a silver mine he'd discovered. I know he lied to Josiah Stowel about a bar of gold as big as his leg to manipulate him. And these are just the first known facts of his life.

I am trying to compile a comprehensice list of this behavior from his life. If any of you can think of any examples or provide a reference I would appreciate it. I want to take a fairly comprehensive list to my TBM friend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 10:58AM

Mormons like this--which is most of them--don't do their homework. They know the least about their church history and Joseph's history than anyone. They just parrot what they have always heard from the pulpit by the other TBMs who didn't do their homework either. At least that's how my family is.

But this guy had quotes that had been church sanitized to add! How very Mormon. I'm impressed.

Your list of Joseph's "generosities" is already more than I knew. Good luck with your history lesson for your friend.

I just wonder who ended up with the money people invested in the Kirtland Bank when it all disappeared? Joseph or the needy? And how charitable is it to burn a printing press, destroy someone's property because they were going to expose your lies. Is that really an "exemplary life?"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 12:51PM

What's really infuriating is that, after being shown all the really bad stuff, a TBM will be off balance for only a moment (like a cat who does something really stupid), then immediately shift gears and say "But I never said he was perfect--he was a flawed man, just the sort of man God would choose as a prophet!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.